theultimatebiu

WKND BO: #StarTrek $70.6M/$84.1M, IronMan3 $35.2M/$337.1M, Gatsby $23.4M/$90.2M

Friday Box Office: ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ $22M Friday For Lower $62.2M Weekend And $75.5M Domestic Cume; Overseas Cume Already $47M

SATURDAY 8:30 AM, 5TH UPDATEFriday domestic numbers for for Star Trek Into Darkness fromParamount Pictures, Skydance Productions, and directorJ.J. Abrams‘ Bad Robot diverged wildly last night as did estimates for the 3-day weekend and 4 1/2-day cume. Heck, they’re still over the place. One thing I can say for sure: despite the passage of 4 years and the addition of 3D and IMAX for ticket premiums, Star Trek Into Darkness even though its release began Wednesday night will not beat 2009′s Star Trek opening 3-day weekend. The new film’s 4 1/2 day number may not even gross bigger than 2009′s $75.2M. Paramount obviously wants to put the best face on an underperforming situation and is still telling me that “when opening day isn’t Friday you get a higher multiple vs Friday”. But the numbers are the numbers, and rival studios have estimates for STID that are dramatically lower. Don’t get me wrong: the movie is still making a lot of money. Just not the $100M cume predicted all week by the studio which is now claiming $22M for Friday, $70M for the 3-day weekend, and $83M for the 4 1/2-day total. Rival studios have numbers of $21.6-$22.0M for Friday, $56.2M-$66.2M for the 3-day weekend, and $69.7M-$75.5M for the 4 1/2-day total. Paramount says moviegoers “are definitely choosing IMAX as it is 14% of the gross” helped by director/producer J.J. Abrams filming 30 minutes of the new sequel using high-resolution cameras to increase the IMAX audience. MORE

It has strong shot at missing 200M domestic. This is just stunning. 

I am completely shocked at the gross.I am also completely fucked in the BSG.

:lol:

For this week, we're all fucked cause of Trek. Did you get the question for IM3 jump right?

:lol: For this week, we're all fucked cause of Trek. Did you get the question for IM3 jump right?

Nope. I had Star Trek up high on all of my list.

:lol:

For this week, we're all fucked cause of Trek. Did you get the question for IM3 jump right?

I got that right and couple more but dreadful week. Only saving grace possibly is if IM3 reaches my prediction of 38.5M but otherwise ridiculously bad week.  :lol:

• Like 1

Rival studios have numbers of $21.6-$22.0M for Friday, $56.2M-$66.2M for the 3-day weekend, and $69.7M-$75.5M for the 4 1/2-day total. 

Posted Image

• Like 3

$200m is not a lock. Jeeeeeeeeeezus

It would need a veeeery good multiplier to hit 200. 180 seems more likely.
  • Like 1

It is locked to miss 200M. Nobody saw this coming.

Yeah, competition next week is going to kill it. It probably finishes around 180-185M. This is catastrophic for Paramount.  :o

• Like 2