CJohn

Thursday Numbers | The Hangover 3 - 11.8M (includes WED night) | FF6 - 6.5M (previews + midnights)

It will go up today, but not to a great extent. The Hangover II didn't have to deal with new openers on that Friday, let alone Fast & Furious 6, and audiences are less forgiving for this than they were for Part 2. 

I'm guessing $12.5m-$13m for today and $35m-$37m for the 3-day weekend. 

Holy Flop!

• Like 2

It will go up today, but not to a great extent. The Hangover II didn't have to deal with new openers on that Friday, let alone Fast & Furious 6, and audiences are less forgiving for this than they were for Part 2. 

I'm guessing $12.5m-$13m for today and $35m-$37m for the 3-day weekend. 

If so, congratulations to Fast 6 and Star Trek 2 for kicking the Wolf Pack in the balls.

Pretty stellar start for Furious 6. That said, I'd hoped for $7.5M+ from Thursday's early screenings.

Weather was bad in the east coast..Even in PA, it was raining last night. Temperature in low 40's now.

• Founder / Operator

One note to make about TH3's relative performance that does support the theory of backloading toward the weekend is that TH2 had a 32.9% midnight-of-OD ratio. TH3 had a 26.3% preview-of-OD ratio. In other words, it had a much stronger relative increase in business on Thursday proper (matinees and evening shows) than TH2. Considering TH3 had 9/10/11pm shows on Wednesday, if it were going to follow TH2's path to a tee it should have--in theory--had a ratio of no less than 33%.

It's still a big drop in nominal numbers, but, I think we should keep this in mind before lowering projections too far the other direction.

• Like 1

Weather was bad in the east coast..Even in PA, it was raining last night. Temperature in low 40's now.

Yeah, man. Not too pretty here in the 'burgh, a.k.a Hollywood East, a.k.a New Hollywood. Then again, I'm no fan of the humid summers here. Seems fall and spring barely say hello these days while winter and summer linger on and on.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

One note to make about TH3's relative performance that does support the theory of backloading toward the weekend is that TH2 had a 32.9% midnight-of-OD ratio. TH3 had a 26.3% preview-of-OD ratio. In other words, it had a much stronger relative increase in business on Thursday proper (matinees and evening shows) than TH2. Considering TH3 had 9/10/11pm shows on Wednesday, if it were going to follow TH2's path to a tee it should have--in theory--had a ratio of no less than 33%.It's still a big drop in nominal numbers, but, I think we should keep this in mind before lowering projections too far the other direction.

So what are your projections?

I should just copyright all of the summer flop titles so that I get all of the credit.

Now You Flop Me, Flopter Earth, The Flopternship, This Is The Flop, Flop Of Steel, Flopsters University, World War Flop, Flop House Down, The Lone Flopper, and so on.

• Like 2

One note to make about TH3's relative performance that does support the theory of backloading toward the weekend is that TH2 had a 32.9% midnight-of-OD ratio. TH3 had a 26.3% preview-of-OD ratio. In other words, it had a much stronger relative increase in business on Thursday proper (matinees and evening shows) than TH2. Considering TH3 had 9/10/11pm shows on Wednesday, if it were going to follow TH2's path to a tee it should have--in theory--had a ratio of no less than 33%. It's still a big drop in nominal numbers, but, I think we should keep this in mind before lowering projections too far the other direction.

You make it sound very academic, I like that.
  • Like 4