Dementeleus

Now You See Me (2013)

Now You See Me (2013)  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

For me that is the one big flaw. The reveal and explanation to the audience of what The Eye is, who it is etc was not fully realized.

Having the audience discover it by way of Interpol agent Laurent was not organic. She was a wild card, sat a desk for what we were told and this was her first field job. Not something Rhodes planned for but he made it work. 

The audience should've been given the tinniest bit of hint about The Eye in that initial scene where they meet in apt 6A. Even if it was just a hologram of the Eye of Horus. One of the Horsemen, maybe Henley, gasps, drops her coffee(that Merritt has already drawn the audience to earlier) and says something like The Eye wants us!?  The audience would then have that visual and name, then Laurent could be looking into it and the explanation unfold from there. We have to kinda stumble into the idea this is an elaborate initiation and not until that freight elevator ride is it confirmed that yes, indeed this is a test to see if the Horsemen are worthy. 

There was that. On the back of the Tarot cards with their invitation to the apartment was the Eye of Horus. So whatever shock they felt over possibly joining the Eye was when they received their invitation cards.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

I would have given this one of the easiest A's I've ever given anything were it not for that stupid "romance"'. So a B it is.

You dropped it a letter grade because of romance? It took up maybe 5 mins of screen time if that. It was a bit weak to be sure, but it wasn't awful.
  • Like 1

I would have given this one of the easiest A's I've ever given anything were it not for that stupid "romance"'.  So a B it is.

That's kind of harsh.  And really, there was the one scene at the end, not enough to take away from the impact of the film, imo.

A coworker and I were discussing NYSM and he asked why the authorities stopped chasing after the Horsemen who jumped off the building. Sure, they caught Morgan Freeman with the money but wouldn't the others still have been considered accomplices? I joked the magicians must have done some mentalism on the FBI to make this one a closed case.

^^^^^^^^

We don't know that they didn't stop looking for them. At the end Rhodes even says something to the affect of her turning them in but she brushes it aside. Likely will down as a closed case but again, any great lawyer worth his salt should be able to prove Thaddeus(Freeman) didn't steal that money. 

There was that. On the back of the Tarot cards with their invitation to the apartment was the Eye of Horus. So whatever shock they felt over possibly joining the Eye was when they received their invitation cards.

The Eye of Horus was on the invite cards? First thing in our discussions on this thread that I honestly missed. I'm glad it's there but still think dropping the name/word/phrase "The Eye" in that apt 6A moment would've helped alot. 

• Like 1

Obv will rewatch but 1 Q stands - why do I see most ppl hate the ending???...

to me it seems bindblowingly awesome

again I may be blinded by my Ruffalo stanning b/c of which I rooted for his character the whole time B) & I almost started clapping @ the carousel part!! ('sorry I kicked your ass' :lol:)

how would you end the movie? After they jump off the roof? After the cell scene? (what awesome acting  that was btw!!! :wub: ) Without introducing The Eye?

So basically what ending would be acceptable for this film to satisfy the majority of the viewers?

re:romance

it was sweet & not necessary at all :ph34r:

(again im biased

I need romance everywhere :P )

Edited by Leyla

Obv will rewatch but 1 Q stands - why do I see most ppl hate the ending???...to me it seems bindblowingly awesomeagain I may be blinded by my Ruffalo stanning b/c of which I rooted for his character the whole time B) & I almost started clapping @ the carousel part!! ('sorry I kicked your ass' :lol:)how would you end the movie? After they jump off the roof? After the cell scene? (what awesome acting that was btw!!! :wub: ) Without introducing The Eye?So basically what ending would be acceptable for this film to satisfy the majority of the viewers?re:romanceit was sweet & not necessary at all :ph34r:(again im biasedI need romance everywhere :P )

I don't know about everyone else, but to me, it's a cheat ending. I've only see it once and I don't recall any kind of hint or anything that would show his true nature. It's one that you couldn't see coming because they have zero indication that he would be the "5th Horseman." If you watch movies like Fight Club, Usual Suspects, or The Sixth Sense and know what to look for, the twist seems almost obvious. I don't know if that's the case here. That's kinda cheating.

I don't know about everyone else, but to me, it's a cheat ending. I've only see it once and I don't recall any kind of hint or anything that would show his true nature. It's one that you couldn't see coming because they have zero indication that he would be the "5th Horseman."

If you watch movies like Fight Club, Usual Suspects, or The Sixth Sense and know what to look for, the twist seems almost obvious. I don't know if that's the case here. That's kinda cheating.

No, the one, and maybe it's the only one but the scene he exits the laundry shoot and lands next to his dad mailbox with 6A on is it a big hint. Now, granted, you don't know that name on the mailbox as his dad, only the dead "East River Magician in a Safe" but still, he lingers on it AND it wasn't him that told that story. Thaddeus(Morgan) did, why might that story mean something to them both? 

This movie is a B+ for me. All the actors that I went to see the movie for delivered, so that's definitely a big plus. Ending irked me a bit, but the movie overall is really enjoyable and fun, exactly like what I hoped for before going in. It's a movie that IMO fits for the summer season.

• Like 1

I just arrived from NYSM. I am amazed. It deserves all the money it is making. Damn you Baumer foi spoiling me the movie and then saying it was not a spoiler for sure. My body was not prepared for that when it happened! I haven't seen a crowd getting so silent expecting for the ultimate reveal since Inception, people weren't breathing!

• Like 1

Boy was this bad. Script made no sense, the acting often laughable (most notably Isla Fischer) and the 'twist' was just stupid.

The 'magic tricks' were nothing more than plot devices. None of them are explained. 'Look, the gang transforms into money! .. and now they're human again'... yeah, but HOW? It defies all laws of physics and logic. Oh the key is in the coke! Cool huh? Yeah sure. And the romance between Ruffalo and the french agent? Good lord that was phoned in.

What an empty, vapid work. And such soulless directing. I am baffled by this film's success.

Just saw this with my son, some thougts. Overall I liked it, some thoughts:

- the pacing was superfast, as was the camera - this is a breathless movie. Fits the theme (the guys escaping the FBI)

- fine optics, good costumes, good sets, good effects (ok, has to be expected with a 75mil US$ budget but still nice to see)

- good acting

- good storyline, with the 5th rider hinted at but never revealed until the end

so, what's keeping this from an "A" from me?

- the magic. just doesn't compute in some case, as in their first stunt (I can buy into the french guy getting hypnotized for the sake of story, but surviving that unprepared fall through the trapdoor without at least a sprained ankle?! - come on ... same as the disappering "burning" banknotes, that was just lazy writing.

- the movie moves so fast that sometimes you wish for a bit more breathing time for the characters.

• Like 1

I don't know about everyone else, but to me, it's a cheat ending. I've only see it once and I don't recall any kind of hint or anything that would show his true nature. It's one that you couldn't see coming because they have zero indication that he would be the "5th Horseman."If you watch movies like Fight Club, Usual Suspects, or The Sixth Sense and know what to look for, the twist seems almost obvious. I don't know if that's the case here. That's kinda cheating.

ah I get what u mean but imo with the predictable ending the movie couldnt have worked

+ the hints WERE THERE

- Dylan/Alma talk before the 2nd performance (she admires Lionel, D likes her attitude & worship towards him & infatuation with magic)

- he stops fiercely all of her trying to connect the Horsemen to Shrike b/c he's afraid she can figure everything out

-the New Orleans talk on the balcony with Alma abt the 5th horsemen (he smirks)

- the story told by Thaddeus the camera lingers when T throws the ice cube into the glass (commenting on Lionel drowning) Dylan has murderous expression on his face like 'We'll see who laughs last'

- 'I'm tracking myself'!!!

- Meritt's commment abt Daddy issues

- obvious one that Captain Craig mentioned abt the mailbox

the hints are not in your face so thats why imo all this 'implausible ending' comments but they're evident on the 2nd  & more viewings

Ppl imo like to be smart & when they dont see the ending coming 5 mins into the movie they obv get mad b/c they're 'tricked' by the 'stupid' ending :D

Edited by Leyla

was pretty great with the introductions, through the first show and into the interrogation rooms. kinda fell to bits after that. way too much time spent with completely uninteresting characters, especially everything to do with fbi guy and interpol gal, and by the third show even the magic was just downright silly. the twist ending i'm totally ambivalent about - there were so many twists throughout the movie that it was completely meaningless. a pretty good example of how to derail an entertaining movie.

C