filmnerdjamie

Thursday Numbers (05/30)

That is so endearing about Smith is that he plays a similar character every time. He is charming he is witty and he is funny. This trailer shows none of that so it is not a will Smith film which means it should bomb.

Shhh last night people said he needs to expand his roles and not be Smith. Which I think has been a problem with him as of late-I want the old school Smith back.

• Like 1

I have absolutely no desire to see after earth but if he comes back and makes bad boys 3 I will be there at Thursday previews.

• Like 6

MIB3's underwhelming open was the warning sign for this.

Hmm Mib3 film did around expectations in final gross though....IMO TA overshadowed the film defusing hype for it..people have short memory but TA had overwhelming buzz well into memorial day weekend.

MIB3's underwhelming open was the warning sign for this.

Was it though?

MIB2 made $190m domestic

MIB3 made $179m domestic and after a solid span of time from the sequel + the delayed shooting/script rewrite fiasco I'd say it did pretty good all things being equal. Factor in it's WW numbers and I just don't line up that this is a corollary. 

If MIB 3 had barely cracked $100m or not at all your theory would not be in question. 

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Hmm Mib3 film did around expectations in final gross though....IMO TA overshadowed the film defusing hype for it..people have short memory but TA had overwhelming buzz well into memorial day weekend.

It may have defused it a bit, but enough to outweigh the declining appeal of the franchise and Smith passing his peak. MIB3 had good legs because of word of mouth and poor competition.

AE won't hurt ST2, it's the other way around. Smith lost it, can't open a non-sequel film anymore. Luckily for him he seems to be doing sequels for the rest of his career. Maybe even remake Karate Kid one day and playing Jackie Chan's role if Jaden's career tanks. The boy should go back to school rather than trying hard to be like his dad and failing miserably.

Failing miserably!!??Pursuit of Happiness - $163m. He handled himself quite well in this next to his father who could have easily overshadowed himThe Karate Kid - $176m. He carried this movie with relative ease. If he had been bad the movie would have had terrible legs. Yep, clearly he's off to a terrible start. :)
  • Like 1

A greater than 3x multiplier? Ehhh.....

The Last Airbender did it.  I know it was in July but still...it got 6% at RT, was able to open at 40+ million and fnishing at 130+ million.

IMO Smith is still huge as he is able to draw attention to films that with normal actors would do far worse.IMO if he stared in a very good film it would do quite well.

Edited by Lordmandeep