37 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Hugo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Whoa, this was actually pretty awesome. In fact, if you're a film fan and don't see this movie......you should have that title revoked immediately.

Definitely among the best of the year, and maybe the best. However, I will say this film just kind of cements to me that no director is as diverse or as talented as Scorsese.

A-

Hugo is a technical marvel. The sets and costumes are stunning, the cinematography rich. I should note that this was my first 3-D film since Alice in Wonderland, and while it doesn't seem to serve a purpose other than to make extra bucks, Scorsese works it to full effect and the result is wonderfully immersive. The vast difference between a master director shooting in 3-D and a fast conversion. This is going get a whole bunch of technical Oscar nods, and it'll probably win a few.When it comes to the story, I wish I had a little more love to give. This is a movie that simply takes a long time to get going, kinda like the engine of a car in the winter. There's also a rigidity that I felt made everything slightly stuffy. That's not to say I didn't enjoy myself; I was particularly fond of the romantic flirtations between the train station's characters. I loved Ben Kingsley and Sacha Baron Cohen. It really comes alive in the last 20 minutes, which are a film lover's feast. I only wish the prior 100 or so minutes were on the same sublime level.Grade: B

Edited by RichWS

This movie represents and reflects on why I like movies. I don't know what did exactly it in for me, but this is a magical film that's directed almost impeccably by one of the greats.

And Hugo did what I thought no film could: It made me believe in 3D. This isn't a fad. If used well (I should say, used this well), it's a technical marvel and makes for an immersive experience.

A-

Hugo in 3D

5:55PM Saturday, November 26th

Cinemark Palace 20, Boca Raton

Theater Capacity: 148 (98% full; surprising mix of young people and old people, but then again this is "Boca" we're talking about)

Ticket Price: $10.50

TRAILERS: (*I arrived late, must've missed a few)

Lorax - looks funny, good reaction.

Titanic 3D - got LOTS of talking from everyone in the audience

The Adventures of Tin Tin - quiet, weak reaction.

THE FILM:

I've had a few hours tonight to collect my thoughts and consider my opinion of Hugo. On the one hand (no pun intended), the film completely surprised me in terms of where the story takes you and figuring out what was going to happen next. But on the other hand, the story arguably hits a wall 85% of the way in and ends in a lazily constructed fashion. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and look forward to spreading the word amongst my friends and family.

You really cannot go wrong with a Scorsese movie, and Hugo is no exception. As others have already noted, this film really demonstrates the potential 3D has to complement a narrative rather than become a gimmick to squeeze a few more bucks out of your wallets. The visuals really are fantastic... in fact not since Inception have I wondered to myself mid-film "how did they shoot some of these movie scenes?" Also, the characters in the story are all three-dimensional human-beings rather than merely 'characters' (which is similarly complemented by the use of 3D effects as well). The fact that Hugo plays more like a non-fiction adventure documentary than a science-fiction family epic as the movie progresses is the greatest achievement of this film. About midway into the story I was sitting on the edge of my seat, fascinated by the direction Hugo & Isabel's discoveries were headed, but more importantly the emphasis they make on educating the audience of the history of cinema. It's told so magically, I actually got misty-eyed at one point when they featured an old film/clip... but I can't say more without spoiling details.

The only film I can fairly compare Hugo to for a number of reasons is Finding Neverland. They're both really nice films that take place a few generations ago and are romanticized stories based on very real events/milestones in the history of story-telling. Hugo is an entertaining, (mostly) historically accurate period drama under the facade of a sparkly, family-friendly fantasy film. Its only fault is that it ends kind of carelessly (i.e. much like a family film), but in hindsight it's selfish for me to expect anything more could've come from this film. I definitely recommend this movie to adults, not children, as I believe they have more to gain from watching this than a child would.

THE VERDICT: 9.6 / 10.0, A

Hugo could very well be this generations Wizard of Oz. It is a technical wonder and a film that really took me by surprise. I literally knew nothing about this going into it. And maybe that was a good thing. I enjoyed the slow burn of watching the film sneak up on you and then like a shark attack in JAWS, it just hits you with a brute force. This is a movie about our love for movies. It's about a different time and a different place. It takes place in France but it's about the globetrotting love of film. Scorcese has directed an incredible story and he has gotten ridiculously rich performances out of everyone. Chloe Morezt is going to be a giant star in my eyes and she will steal your heart here. Although she is not the main character in the film, she lights up the screen every time she is on it. Ben Kinsley is electric and Sasha Baron Cohen is incredible as well. I think this is a film that will age very well and will become more appreciated over time.9/10

No question for me that this is the best movie of the year so far right above the Muppets. I happen to see both back to back last night.

Like baumer, I didn't really know much was this movie was about, other than the trailers. But yeah it does really capture the reason some of us love movies. Showing the crowd "dodge" the train in the first movie they saw does explain how a lot of us felt the first time we saw a movie. It is magical and Scorsese really knew how to show that in this movie.

and I completely agree that Chloe Moretz is going to be around for a long time and will be great.

A

This really is a technical marvel, I just sat through the whole thing in awe of how good everything looked,

Anyway, the story of the film is really lovely, especially when the narrative concentrates on Georges Méliès in the second half or something, that's when the real magic of the film kicks in.

Though I must admit that I didn't care much for Hugo as a character, or the actor who played him, he was just a bit of a bore really. Also, why couldn't he just tell Georges at the beginning of the film that that was his dead dad's notebook? I'm sure he would've given it back then. Everyone else plays their parts very well, especially SBC, Ben Kingsley and Helen McCrory.

So essentially... HUGO is a movie that reminds me why movies are so awesome. Posted Image

Edited by CoolioD1

Hugo! This film was such a pleasant surprise for me. The trailers were a little deceiving in what the story was really about. I'm glad I saw this in 3D, as it was effective with this story. This is one of the most magical movies I've ever seen. Kingsley was superb and Grace Moretz truly is a star in the making. She's been great in everything I've seen of her. The story is for all ages, not just kids. Any true film fan should see this movie. There were many sentimental moments as well as comedic moments. It's one of those movies where you have a smile on your face 90% of the time. I truly think this is the best film I've seen so far this year.A

Finally I got on-been trying to for about an hour and a half now!Anwyay, here is my report:Hugo 3D11:25 AMAbout 30% full.Trailers:Beauty and the Beast 3DEpisode I 3D-Had quiet a bit of talking.The Lorax-Best response. Tons of lauging.Pirates-Great response as well.Paranorman-Nothing, but this looks...odd and bad.Tintin-Laughs at the same parts (The sandwitch line the most) I do want to see this, but I'm really tired of this trailer as I think it might of passed Immortals as the trailer I've seen the most in 2011.Movie: Wow. Where to begin? Nothing at all like I was expecting. And everyone-don't believe the trailers-it is nothing like they potray the film. If they did put what the film really is about it would of done much better. Anyway, great great film. Best dang film of 2011! Love the costumes and sets. Oh when Christopher Lee appeared I heard quite a bit of laughter. Anyway, I hope this wins cinematgrophy and sets. The kid was great in it. Coen was funny in his part. Everyone loved it-adults and kids. SEE THIS MOVIE NOW!A++++

I'll echo everyone's thoughts on the technical merits of this film. It's pretty much a shoe-in for art direction and cinematography noms in my opinion.

It's a movie I envision myself switching to whenever it comes on TV for background noise. There's an aura of likability surrounding the entire production and the scenes that feel like filler (as well as a few gratuitous 3D effects) are forgivable because of it. The story is interesting enough once it starts to come together, but the monotone line deliveries of Butterfield and Moretz did get on my nerves occasionally.

Not one of my favorite films of the year, but one I wouldn't mind watching again. I am a bit bummed that Scorsese's going right back to doing dark, violent thrillers now.

A-

Well just came back.First things first- the 3D. Two tickets = $27. And this is at the cheap theater. I don't know why I still find it so shocking but it's infuriating. I thought Hugo made good use of the 3D (certainly better than Potter), but like tribefan said I'm not sure if it's worth the surcharge. It darkens the overall picture and to me, the glasses are a distraction. But I digress..Hugo was an elegant, cinematic love letter. I can't really add much more to what everyone else already said. I was a little bit bored with it in the first part of the film but the last hour or so- where they get into the story about Georges Méliès and the history of film- was incredible and awe-inspiring. I teared up a little at the end, when Georges decides to adopt Hugo. The cast all did a fine job and a special mention for Chloe Moretz. Is it weird that she's now one of my favorite movie stars? Scorsese deserves all the praise for his direction; who would have thought he'd ever do a film like this? But I can't wait for his next one, "The Snowman", which is based off an incredibly dark and violent Norwegian crime thriller I read this summer.A-

Edited by rockNrollaDIM