#ED

REVISED Weekend Estimates 6/14--6/16: Man of Steel OW $116.7M($128.7M including WM)

But is that analogy really right when talking about box office sales? I mean, applying this logic, we may have future blockbusters selling 200M dollars worth of tickets to various corporations to claim record destroying Thursdays and ODs/OWs!! Even if only 5% of those tickets are actually sold to customers/employees etc.

Of course it's logical.  If some corporation with deep pockets comes along and wants to buy 12 million dollars worth of tickets then WB makes that money.  That just means that instead of the public buying up that many tickets, a corporation did.  Money is money, that's why they call it money.

But is that analogy really right when talking about box office sales? I mean, applying this logic, we may have future blockbusters selling 200M dollars worth of tickets to various corporations to claim record destroying Thursdays and ODs/OWs!! Even if only 5% of those tickets are actually sold to customers/employees etc.

I agree that it shouldn't count as any kind of record, but for those of us hoping for a Flash movie, Wonder Woman movie, Justice League or World's Finest movie, etc...it doesn't matter to me how they get the money. If Wal-Mart was stupid enough to write them a check for $12m in ticket sales and it helps boost WB's profit margin on this film, then I'm fine with it. I am all for anything that will convince WB to get off their asses and stop being so cautious with their superhero characters.

• Like 3

The revenge happens in July 2015. MOS ll vs POTC V. lol

MoS is a newborn with a bright future ahead of it, POTC is on it's way to it's grave  :lol:. Requiescat in pace.

Edited by jse

I was curious because somebody from reddit claimed to have bought tickets for iirc $2 at walmart. I dunno if that's true, and if it is, if there are regional differences in the Walmart prices as well.

8 (2D) & 11 (3D) were the beginning prices. Walmart did have trouble selling them out so they might have dropped the price but I can't confirm that. 

I don't think may are arguing against this though. They have every right to include in the opening weekend. But it does skew things when trying to predict the run.

For me it doesn't. 

It actually gives me a clear idea of MOS true box office for its first 24 hours.

Movie grossed $9 million (estimated) from midnight. For sake of argument, I'm going to say without this Walmart promotion, MOS true midnight number could've been AT LEAST (and this is a very important word) $15 million. Rest of day: $35 million

$50,000,000. $50 million for a reboot.

Can someone give me the top three reboot movies (opening day) adjusted for inflation?

Where does MOS rank with this $50 million (AT LEAST) for opening day?

Edited by VGPOP

I think the whole damn shebang should be included, but let's just pretend for some second that for some reason Wal-Mart (the most efficient business of Earth) only sold half its tickets. That's still 50 million, and if you aren't impressed by that, God help you.

• Like 3

You have seen it?

Yeah. It doesn't hold up against Monaters Inc(which along with Wall-E are my favourite Pixars) it's not too bad though, there's still some of the charm that made MI so good.

8 (2D) & 11 (3D) were the beginning prices. Walmart did have trouble selling them out so they might have dropped the price but I can't confirm that.

Why was Walmart selling the tickets at a loss?

If the argument is that Walmart didn't sell all the tickets, them 12M proves it.Walmart had 1M tickets to sell.$9 2D$11 3DAssuming they were 50/50(2D/3D), if Walmart sold all tickets it would be more than 12M...Am I correct? Or has this forum lowered my intelligence in the last 24 hours?

WB sold the tickets to Walmart for $12m total. Walmart then had the ability to resell the tickets in any manner it chose to recoup what it spent and potentially make a profit.

Yeah basically he said no way is he spending $40 on tickets to take his whole family of 5, so this was the only way he was gonna watch MoS.

Why was Walmart selling the tickets at a loss?

Who knows how business works.  There could have been all kinds of backdoor deals with Walmart and Warner Brothers.  There could be some kind of exclusivity clause in their deal for future projects. 

• Like 1