Jandrew

Sunday/Wknd #'s, MU 23-24/82, WWZ 17-18/66, MoS 11.7-12.3/41.2, TITE 13, NYSM 7.8 BOM, RTH

Catching Fire, Gravity, Elysium, Thor 2, The Hobbit 2.There's plenty left to see.

Catching Fire and Thor 2, sure.Those other movies I have no interest. I bought The Hobbiy on bluray on day 1. Haven't opened it yet.

I'm not sure what to expect for MU's Sunday drop. Wall-E and Ratatouille dropped just under 20%, Up dropped 23%, Toy Story 3 dropped 13.5%, Cars 2 dropped 27%, and Brave dropped 24%. Sunday could be anywhere between 21-25M with these drops...

Edited by superduperm

I'm not sure what to expect for MU's Sunday drop. Wall-E and Ratatouille dropped just under 20%, up dropped 23%, Toy Story 3 dropped 13.5%, Cars 2 dropped 27%, and Brave dropped 23%. Sunday could be anywhere between 21-25M with these drops...

It isn't dropping like TS3, that had Father's Day.
  • Like 1

After DM2, I seriously don't look forward to any movie this year.Someone give me 5 movies I would want to watch.

This year? Or, this summer?

Of the mega-budgeted releases due in 2013 post-Despicable...

The Lone Ranger

Pacific Rim

Elysium

Ender's Game

Thor: The Dark World

Hunger Games: Catching Fire

This year? Or, this summer? Of the mega-budgeted releases due in 2013 post-Despicable...The Lone RangerPacific RimElysiumEnder's GameThor: The Dark WorldHunger Games: Catching Fire

Thor and Catching Fire are just "must watch" movies simply because of there names. I've had enough Sci-Fi this year.

Fantastic for World War Z. Actually a small increase without midnights. It did $3.6m (if I'm right?) Great start. For me, WWZ is the story of the weekend, easily. Monsters Uni was expected IMO, still great too.Shame MOS fell quite steeply.

• Like 2

Fantastic for World War Z. Actually a small increase without midnights. It did $3.6m (if I'm right?) Great start. For me, WWZ is the story of the weekend, easily. Monsters Uni was expected IMO, still great too.Shame MOS fell quite steeply.

I like and agree with your post
  • Like 1

I think word of mouth goes beyond saying a film is great or terrible. Lack of enthusiasm is also wom. I took 10 people to see MOS. Aged between 5 and 50. We had a lot of goodwill towards the film - summer, Saturday, Superman, what could go wrong?. 2.5 hours later we and the rest of the audience walked out in complete silence. The air was heavy with the deflation of disappointment.Even the five year old who had counted down the days to the release was not bothered.If that sort of reaction is being mirrored generally then the film will keep dropping regardless of the competition.And, no, WWZ was not generally expected to make 50 million and take away MOS's audience. Many predicted in the 30s and low 40s for it, even 20s on this very forum.

Edited by All about Eve
  • Like 5

Not only did MU drop 4.9% when I said it would drop at least 5%, but it's Saturday was 1M bigger than Friday minus previews. That's a very good sign for legs. Even Toy Story 3 couldn't increase from Friday minus midnights, and there weren't even Thursday previews back then...

• Like 1

I think word of mouth goes beyond saying a film is great or terrible. Lack of enthusiasm is also wom. I took 10 people to see MOS. Aged between 5 and 50. We had a lot of goodwill towards the film - summer, Saturday, Superman, what could go wrong?. 2.5 hours later we and the rest of the audience walked out in complete silence. The air was heavy with the deflation of disappointment.Even the five year old who had counted down the days to the release was not bothered.If that sort of reaction is being mirrored generally then the film will keep dropping regardless of the competition.And, no, WWZ was not generally expected to make 50 million and take away MOS's audience. Many predicted in the 30s and low 40s for it, even 20s on this very forum.

Lol wwz has quite a bland wom if you see twitter or imdb or metacritic compared to man of steel and monsters university. This is the end is a better horror movie by far

Aside from Despicable Me 2, July's full of wild card releases like Lone Ranger, Pacific Rim, RIPD, Turbo and The Wolverine. Doubt July breaks any records but should certainly bolster the overall summer numbers. I expect DM2 and LR to get it off to a flying start. I'm thinking DM2 grosses over $100M by the end of the Fourth of July weekend. I think Lone Ranger will approach $100 by end of the holiday weekend as well.

Yes, it doesn't need to be record-breaking. We'll see.

Not at all its 175Millon -200M for Supes Marketing 130is and they got 160M taking off the totals costs from a promotiondeal

So total costs are even less. You should really read your trades more Cairo... Its even on  Wiki.

While the original budget was less, the postponement and more cgi than originally conceived ballooned to the budget to $225 according to trade magazines like the Hollywood Reporter. I would perceive them more credible than wikipedia.  :rolleyes:

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/warner-bros-sets-bar-high-for-latest-and-priciest-incarnation-of-superman-1200493334/

MoS has plenty of promotional ties but those do not affect the costs of the film. 

Skyfall had something like $150 million worth of promotional tie ins. However, the production would have received only $8-14 million as direct cash for licensing rights and the rest would have an estimation of the marketing costs that the partners took on its account. Even then the licensing income would have been counted separately from the costs.

Thanks Rick......LOL Cairo obviously is a Superman hater lol.... Superman will be amongst the most profitable

big budget films this year.. :)

MoS will clearly be profitable for WB since in addition to theatrical it'll have HV and auxiliary income. I never said it wouldn't be. However, to recoup the costs during the theatrical run I'll need to make $700 million + since the studio only gets 25%-50% of the international ticket income.

MoS was one of my most expected movies of the year and stating facts doesn't make me a 'hater'.  :angry:  What are you, 12?

Edited by Cairo
  • Like 2

SUNDAY AM, 5TH UPDATESummer 2013 keeps sizzling with total moviegoing this weekend around $240M, which is a big +52% over last year. That means 2013 is about to close the gap with 2012. Here’s how the domestic box office shaped up for this weekend, according to my sources. Disney/Pixar’s 3D toon prequel Monsters University (playing in 4,004 theaters) received a coveted ‘A’ CinemaScore from audiences to keep the positive social media going. It opened to a gargantuan #1 with $30.5M Friday (including Thursday’s $2.6M late show tally) and $29.5M Saturday for an $82M weekend. That makes it Pixar’s second highest opening ever, behind only 2010′s Toy Story 3 ($110.3M). Yowza! Pic did a solid $2.6M for Thursday’s late shows starting at 8 PM. Internationally, G-rated Monsters University opened day and date in 35 territories, though only 6 are key markets (Germany, Australia, Russia, Mexico, Spain, Brazil). So expect a major worldwide number this morning from Disney.

This is the story of how top Monstropolis scarers Mike and Sulley met as rivals and ultimately became best friends, complete with college humor, heartfelt storytelling, and gorgeous visuals. Billy Crystal and John Goodman reprise their roles for director Dan Scanlon (who also is credited for the screenplay along with Daniel Gerson and Robert L. Baird) and producer Kori Rae. Monsters Incwas originally released on November 2, 2001, and opened to a $62.5M weekend. Its all-in domestic was $289.9M and foreign $272.9M for a whopping worldwide cume of $562.8M. Pic wound up nominated for 4 Oscars: Best Animated Feature Film, Best Original Score, Best Sound Editing, and Best Original Song “If I Didn’t Have You” which won the Academy Award. This is the 14th out of 14 Pixar feature releases to debut #1 and also with ‘A-’ to ‘A+’ CinemaScores. Can’t beat that incredible record of success. Disney as usual pulled out all the marketing stops on its network and cable channels as well as theme parks (“Monstrous Summer”) with a huge social media campaign that included the first-ever in-character Tumblr page from a studio.

Placing a much bigger-than-expected #2 is Paramount’s 3D World War Z (3,607 theaters), co-financed with Skydance Productions in association with Hemisphere Media Capital and GK Films, about an epic epidemic based on Max Brooks’ plague novel. Hollywood thought its opening would flop. Instead, it received a ‘B+’ CinemaScore from audiences which helped word of mouth so it overperformed with $25.0M Friday and $23.7M Saturday for a more-than-solid $68M for the weekend after grossing a decent $3.6M in 2,600 screens for Thursday 8 PM previews and midnight late shows. That has Paramount’s moguls giddy with relief after all that pre-release bad buzz for producer and star Brad Pitt’s Plan B-bannered zombie pic – especially since statistics show only one original movie a year opens at $50+M. (“Franchises open bigger but originals play to better multiples as people start discovering them,” one exec tells me.) Paramount actually issued a press release to say this weekend’s opening is the biggest of Brad’s career – but not when 2005′s Mr And Mrs Smith ($50.3M) debut is adjusted for inflation and the 2D vs 3D ticket price. Pic also benefitted from a spot-on marketing plan savvy enough to book in advance 2 spots promoting Friday’s official debut during Thursday’s big Miami-San Antonio NBA final game. That became the 2nd most watched series end in pro basketball history.

World War Z also started rolling day and date Thursday into 25 countries or 30% of the international market Thursday. First grosses came in and “looked great”, according to Paramount. Australia opened with $1.1M (exactly what Inceptiondid) and Korea with $1.5M (Inception did $941K). Argentina grossed $710K on their holiday for the 3rd best opening Thursday ever in that market. Hong Kong did $350K. The studio said there were strong openings in some of the other smaller markets as well, for a total international cume of $5.7M Thursday which comps well with Inception‘s $3.6M for the same territories. (More WWZ below)

Here and overseas, World War Z was in direct competition with Warner Bros’ and Legendary Pictures’ holdover 3D Man Of Steel (4,207 theaters in the widest release) which going into this weekend as still the big #1 leader in the worldwide marketplace. Now it’s #3 domestic with $12.7M Friday (-71% from a week ago) and +31% for $16.6M Saturday and another huge tally around $42.5M (-64% from a week ago) for a cume around $211.3M from just 11 days in U.S./Canadian release. It pulled in strong international numbers on Friday, grossing $19.7M from 52 markets now in release. This brings the overseas cume to date to $135.6M and a worldwide total of at least $346.9M in just its first 11 days of release. (Expect a bigger number announced this morning.) The major countries opening include France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Russia and China where opening day took almost 80% marketshare for Warner Bros’ 2nd highest opening day behind only the Harry Potter finale. The two-day cume is now $11.7M. In other markets, Spain grosses $1.5M (almost as much as Iron Man 3, Russia came in with a new cume of $3.15M, France placed #1 with a new cume of $4.2M, Germany also ranked a strong #1 with a new fresh of $1.9M, and Italy continues to rank #1 with a new cume of $1.1M. Australia opens on June 27, Brazil July 12, and Japan August 30.

Edited by kayumanggi