Jandrew

Sunday/Wknd #'s, MU 23-24/82, WWZ 17-18/66, MoS 11.7-12.3/41.2, TITE 13, NYSM 7.8 BOM, RTH

I don't get the love Del Toro gets here.  He has done nothing to suggest he is some box office titan.  I personally don't like most of his work, directing or producing and this collective circle jerk for him here at times is really strange.

This is his forte. He lives and breathes creature features and this is the biggest one you can get. He will deliver the goods and the audience will come in droves to his movie. I like his works, I guess it is personal preference.

• Like 2

I'm not a big fan of PR at all, but I'd be literally floored if it misses 100 mill.

It's tracking at like 40 right now ... It would probably have to drop to an opening weekend lower than 35 for it to have any shot. 

I guess I feel it still will end up opening over 45-50, so will at least get a decent domestic figure ... will have to do much damage overseas.

To your older post. .Spending 350Million on a Jame Cameron vision, when the man is coming off a film that has made over 10bllion in total revenue is lunacy??? I think you need to reword that statement.. Seems James more than anyone is the man you bet on when he has done films like  Abyss, Aliens, Titanic, Terminator and Terminator 2(5 Freaking breakthrough game changers)! :)

I stand by my statement. Spending 350 million dollars on any film, no matter how established or profitable, is absolute lunacy. It's just another case of hollywood finances getting out of hand and studios allowing directors to burn through absurd amounts of money that could've been much more effectively invested elsewhere. It is especially crazy for an original film with no established base. Even though it is Jim Cameron, the film still needed to make 800M dollars to recoup all the advertising and production costs. That's a high mark for anyone to achieve, especially for an original film. Taking out Franchise films (superheroes) and sequels the only original films to have done that much WW are: Independence Day, Inception, Finding Nemo(? Was it there before the re-release?), Lion King (? see Nemo), Jurassic Park (? Again see Nemo), Titanic, and Avatar. Not a lot, and a lot of them, imo were more appealing than Avatar. (I still don't see the appeal of the movie) I suppose the visual spectacle helped. 

I have no desire to see it.

Okay that is what you should of said-the way you said it sounded like you are not a fan of Pacific Rim meaning you already saw the film ;)

Pixar streak continues, 14/14 number 1 on OW. :bravo: Amazing weekend ahead of us, first time 3 movies over 50M if the early number holds for MOS. Bravo, Baumer you were spot on regarding the jump MOS will have on Friday.  :bravo:  

• Like 1

I don't get the love Del Toro gets here.  He has done nothing to suggest he is some box office titan.  I personally don't like most of his work, directing or producing and this collective circle jerk for him here at times is really strange.

What not a hellboy fan Baum?? LOL GRRRR!! :P

I liked those films. Shoot Im just going for the trailer feel, and that WB felt confident in him taking over the duties of the Hobbit.(Well until Peter Jacksons said to hell with that and took back the reigns..Ouch!!)

I just think he is very capable. What do you predict for PC Baumer bud... I'm thinking lets

see 68MOW, 245M Domestic, and early predict of 355M OS..( It wont suprise me if this breaksout big OS baum for over 500M-well if good and they pickup with advertising-Hope TW isnt being too cheap in the ad dept.. Still can't blame them..You are right that his box office clout is not been tested B). Still sort of cool they gave him  what looks like 150+M and total costs of 200+ M to work with.

Come on Del Toro..  I hope this film changes your feelings for him.  I thought M Night was sort of over-rated until I came around after Signs and Unbreakable.

Remember when the Internet lost its shit when Scott Pilgrim bombed? Those were cranky toddlers in timeout compared to how they will react when Pacific Rim doesn't perform.

No comparison, Pilgrim was on KA level. I think it will be you that will be a cranky toddler come July 12th wknd when PR performs well.