Chewy

Weekend Estimates (starting pg 50) July 19-21

If u put Mark Wahlberg in RIPD would it have opened better?

If they really spent $180m on the damn movie, they might as well just have splurged the extra $15m and gotten Will Smith instead of Ryan Reynolds.

• Like 1

If they really spent $180m on the damn movie, they might as well just have splurged the extra $15m and gotten Will Smith instead of Ryan Reynolds.

I'm not sure Will Smith would've helped much.

If Battleship has taught us anything it's that the GA hate cheap knock offs.

Battleship was an obvious TF knock off.

RIPD was an obvious MIB knock off.

People will continue giving RR because the role of the actor is now a very diminished. he is there to help facilitate the story but not to sell it because there are no more stars anymore

Denzel Washington (aside from passion projects, he's the most reliable box office star out there) 

Melissa McCarthy (she's the reason Identity Thief made $100m - Jason Bateman's box office poison so no other reasons lol) 

Adam Sandler (when the film doesn't look explicably awful like Jack & Jill, That's My Boy, Little Nicky, etc)

Robert Downey Jr. (he's the only reason that awful Due Date got past $100m and he basically made Sherlock Holmes bankable) 

Sandra Bullock (when she makes an intriguing movie - Proposal, Blind Side, Heat, etc... Gravity looks to be this too) 

Kevin Hart (he's slowly but surely making a name for himself - 2014 is the year he breaks out and joins the A list) 

Tyler Perry as Madea (when he's Madea, the movie will get $50 million minimum - the Christmas one could top $100m IMO) 

Steven Spielberg (if he's directing it, it'll make at least $60 million minimum at today's ticket prices) 

Yeah, other than that, I'd agree and say that there are no true stars anymore 

Edited by mahnamahna

The Conjuring $300,000 over The Purge on Friday. If it follows exactly = $34.5M. Great start.

Maybe reaction could lesson the drops slightly, we'll see. But I still think there was a rush to see this film.

Better Sunday hold is expected, no?

Denzel Washington (aside from passion projects, he's the most reliable box office star out there) 

Melissa McCarthy (she's the reason Identity Thief made $100m - Jason Bateman's box office poison so no other reasons lol) 

Adam Sandler (when the film doesn't look explicably awful like Jack & Jill, That's My Boy, Little Nicky, etc)

Robert Downey Jr. (he's the only reason that awful Due Date got past $100m and he basically made Sherlock Holmes bankable) 

Sandra Bullock (when she makes an intriguing movie - Proposal, Blind Side, Heat, etc... Gravity looks to be this too) 

Kevin Hart (he's slowly but surely making a name for himself - 2014 is the year he breaks out and joins the A list) 

Tyler Perry as Madea (when he's Madea, the movie will get $50 million minimum - the Christmas one could top $100m IMO) 

Steven Spielberg (if he's directing it, it'll make at least $60 million minimum at today's ticket prices) 

Jolie in action films.

• Like 1

I think you mean Denzel, Sandra and Emma saved him.

Nicolas has his own string of flops going, not exactly a boxoffice savior if he's in a movie lately.

Thank You. Emma is such a stealth BO draw that people don't even seriously consider her over here. Nicolas? Lol.

• Like 1

Yeah these actors have a following, a loyal fanbase.

It's rare in Hollywood these days. 

lol Safe House and Proposal was all Denzel/Sandra Bullock and Croods has nothing to do with any of the "stars".

Taking a look back through his filmography, RR has practically never carried a movie. And since Proposal nearly all of his movie have been epic bombs.

That's a bingo.

Adam Sandler (when the film doesn't look explicably awful)

Apart from Downey who has now acquired an international appeal, none of those you have mentioned have more pull than Pitt, Jolie, Smith, Cruise and Depp to rise an average project that would bomb otherswise on the overseas market based on their sole superstar status...Pirates 4 and The Tourist are one of the main examples that comes to mind.

Denzel movies consistently do less abroad and most of his $100 million action movies don't even reach $200 million worldwide unlike Jolie's own action movies.

Edited by Ent
  • Like 1