Chewy

Weekend Estimates (starting pg 50) July 19-21

Watching Only God Forgives right now and it's like Ryan Reynold's ex wife Scarlett. Really, really nice to look at but pretty boring, really.

I found it not only boring but repugnant and 

pretentious

Well the indies haven't made much of splash this summer either, have they? With some exceptions (Frances Ha, Before Midnight, Much Ado)

I dunno: Iceman, The East, The Way Way Back, Mud, Fruitvale Station...? (In addition to what you named)

Edited by Telemachos

A bit sad that KevinBacon is in a flop.

Crazy he's already 55 this summer.

To be fair no one knows he's in the movie though.

otoh if you've ever been to a cinema in the uk in the past few months you'll know he has this advert that plays here before every single film which is really, really fucking annoying so he deserves this.

I know lazy studios execs are going to blame the bomb on the movies being 'original' but it's incredibly frustrating since the movies had so many other problems which will probably get ignored for the future due to originality becoming the common scapegoat.1. After Earth- The trailers looked dull and cheap. Will Smith is still a draw but Jaden was clearly marketed as the lead and lots of people who live Will find his son annoying due to his face and hanging around with Bieber and Kardashians. There seemed to be no hook in the movie and based on wom, Will's character wasn't likelable and had too little time in the movie.- The budget was too high for this ($120 million +). Elysium was much cheaper but looks 4 times better.- Bad reviews and wom2. Lone Ranger- Johnny depp playing a native created much negative press and ill-will towards the movie not just in the US but also abroad.- People are getting bored with his wacky routine- Armie Hammer is not a draw- Movie too violent for many families- Budget was absolutely ridiculous- too long- Bad reviews and wom nothing special and too violent for the kids3. Pacific Rim- Bad marketing: no female appeal in trailers, visually trailers not impressive on computer screen due to action taking place in the dark, no human connection- Cast a bunch of B-C list names who couldn't get press. Brad Pitt gets publicity, so do Leo, RDJ, Sandra Bullock and Jennifer Lawrence. Most people don't who who Rinko, Charlie and Idris are and couldn't care less.- This had potential but for some reason they didn't try get GA excited about the movie but rather kept footage 'exclusive' to CC geeks etc.- reviews were good but wom more lukewarm4. R.I.P.D- RR is not a draw, nor is Jeff Bridges- Looked like MIB ripoff, except without the humor, new concept or the stars- Too much competition in the marketplace (true for all of these 4 movies really)- The marketing I saw -trailers, posters etc. were awfully dull and there didn't seem to be an idea who the movie was meant to- No advance screenings for the press, wom looks toxicI hate that the audience gets the blame for not going to cinema to see too expensive turds without stars they like just in the name of supporting non-sequels. It's too bad movies like Before Midget, Mud or Bling Ring don't make more money but I have no sympathy for these franchise-hopefuls which if successful, would have created new sequels just like the current sequels do. Are we supposed to spend our money on crappy non-sequels just to see HW producing sequels out of them? Isn't that what happened to Grown Ups? People went to see original Grown Ups and got rewarded by getting Grown Ups 2. Yay! :wacko:

Exactly how I feel. I like PR, but the other three I have no interest in and I have no desire to see them cause they don't look all that 'original' and not one ounce interesting. And you hit the nail on its head. Successful "original" property will just spawn sequels and people will just get back to complaining. It's circular.

He IS pretty fucking good though and it even shows a lot in this. He just wrote himself an awful script.

I didn't see it in anything other than the lighting and cinematography and the occasional nice edit. 

otoh if you've ever been to a cinema in the uk in the past few months you'll know he has this advert that plays here before every single film which is really, really fucking annoying so he deserves this.

Don't know what this advert is about but if he deserved it...then let it be!

lol

Can't be more invasive than GeorgeClooney's Nespresso.

I wanna see Taylor Kitsch and Ryan Reynolds do a cbs buddy cop show together. It's the only possible move for their careers  now. Might be good. I mean, it'll get cancelled after four episodes but still would be interesting.

• Like 2