Chewy

Weekend Estimates (starting pg 50) July 19-21

What a shitty summer this has been. I cant even enjoy the bad films flopping anymore.

We should have known.

If you openIron Man 3Star Trek 2Fast 6

Hangover 3

Now you see me

After Earth

Man of Steel

This is the End

World War ZWhite House Down

Lone Ranger

Grown Ups

RED 2RIPD

Wolverine

within 3 month, you just know that it just wouldn't work.

And then you have "The great Gatsby" and maybe "The Heat" to attract women.

That was ridiculous scheduling and we knew that before.

Edited by Poseidon

Please explain

2012 was topheavy with Avengers, DKR, and Madagascar 3 being the only good movies (I saw). ASM was mediocre, Rock of Ages Brave were crap, and MIB3 and Expendables 2 were fun but forgettable.

2011 had nothing exciting for me except Captain America. Not a Potter fan so nothing there thrilled me.

2010 was about the same as 2012 but with Toy Story 3 and Inception which made it better than 2011.

2009 had a lot of variety like this year has. I've only really disliked two films this summer, the rest have been great to good.

• Like 1

November 2015

Week 1: Bond 24

Week 2: Peanuts

Week 3: Mockingjay 2

Week 4: Finding Dory

November is different because films like Dory and Peanuts and even potentially Bond 24 depending on quality can keep making money all the way into January thanks to the holidays

We know you've been saying that, and you're fucking wrong. :)

Iron Man 3: Fun but sometimes lacking sequel. Still worthwhile.

The Great Gatsby: Meh movie except for Leo's performance which raised to still be a good change of pace.

Star Trek Into Darkness: Best movie of the summer; script was a little disappointing but the acting and action raised it up.

Fast and Furious 6: Crazy, fun, and adrenaline pumping.

Now You See Me: Great heist movie with some fun twists and arguably the best executed hook of the summer.

Man of Steel: Best action of the summer although flawed in story.

Monsters University: Biggest surprise of the summer, Pixar's best movie since 2010 and one that renewed my hope in the studio.

World War Z: Boring piece of crap, one of two stinkers of the summer.

White House Down: Another fun movie ala Fast 6, Foxx and Tatum were a lot of fun.

Despicable Me 2: Crap, only the minions were good which made it overall just mediocre. The other stinker of the summer.

Pacific Rim: Cheesy in a good way, and had great action and it was just a fun time.

Maybe the reason I like it more is because this is the first summer when I've really been seeing a lot of movies, but overall the quality has been higher than past years where I see less movies.

• Like 1

Summer 2012: 

The Avengers

Madagascar 3

Brave

Magic Mike

I took out the indies since they never hit my area and that left me four movies. Two are good, one I haven't seen, and the other is crap. 2013 is a lot better

I agree. This was my main takeaway from the article and they are correct. If non-sequels are bombing domestically then studios have no reason to make them because sequels are even more lucrative in the overseas markets.

I know lazy studios execs are going to blame the bomb on the movies being 'original' but it's incredibly frustrating since the movies had so many other problems which will probably get ignored for the future due to originality becoming the common scapegoat.

1. After Earth

- The trailers looked dull and cheap. Will Smith is still a draw but Jaden was clearly marketed as the lead and lots of people who live Will find his son annoying due to his face and hanging around with Bieber and Kardashians. There seemed to be no hook in the movie and based on wom, Will's character wasn't likelable and had too little time in the movie.

- The budget was too high for this ($120 million +). Elysium was much cheaper but looks 4 times better.

- Bad reviews and wom

2. Lone Ranger

- Johnny depp playing a native created much negative press and ill-will towards the movie not just in the US but also abroad.

- People are getting bored with his wacky routine

- Armie Hammer is not a draw

- Movie too violent for many families

- Budget was absolutely ridiculous

- too long

- Bad reviews and wom nothing special and too violent for the kids

3. Pacific Rim

- Bad marketing: no female appeal in trailers, visually trailers not impressive on computer screen due to action taking place in the dark, no human connection

- Cast a bunch of B-C list names who couldn't get press. Brad Pitt gets publicity, so do Leo, RDJ, Sandra Bullock and Jennifer Lawrence. Most people don't who who Rinko, Charlie and Idris are and couldn't care less.

- This had potential but for some reason they didn't try get GA excited about the movie but rather kept footage 'exclusive' to CC geeks etc.

- reviews were good but wom more lukewarm

4. R.I.P.D

- RR is not a draw, nor is Jeff Bridges

- Looked like MIB ripoff, except without the humor, new concept or the stars

- Too much competition in the marketplace (true for all of these 4 movies really)

- The marketing I saw -trailers, posters etc. were awfully dull and there didn't seem to be an idea who the movie was meant to

- No advance screenings for the press, wom looks toxic

I hate that the audience gets the blame for not going to cinema to see too expensive turds without stars they like just in the name of supporting non-sequels. It's too bad movies like Before Midget, Mud or Bling Ring don't make more money but I have no sympathy for these franchise-hopefuls which if successful, would have created new sequels just like the current sequels do. Are we supposed to spend our money on crappy non-sequels just to see HW producing sequels out of them? Isn't that what happened to Grown Ups? People went to see original Grown Ups and got rewarded by getting Grown Ups 2. Yay!  :wacko: 

• Like 3

You shouldn't take into account indie fare when talking about summer movies.

That is not what summer is about so no Before midningh talk in the middle of tentpoles warfare please.

• Like 3