Chewy

Weekend Estimates (starting pg 50) July 19-21

Four of the biggest disappointments this summer were all non-sequels. If anything you will see more sequels

I wish we could see both!

New properties rising with success.

Sequels made with tight care and fun.

• Like 1

I wish we could see both!

New properties rising with success.

Sequels made with tight care and fun.

Well, if the studio is investing $250 million + in an  original property and it isn't even making $200 million worldwide then they are less likely to greenlight expensive original properties. My thinking is that the studios need to go back to mid-budget original movies. You rarely see $60-80 million movies anymore. It is either shoestring budget movies or big $130 million+ tentpole wannabes.

• Like 2

That is fucking terrible for Turbo. It's going to sell less tickets than Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron..... Did Fox dump this film?

Something's off here.

Either way, Dreamworks stock is going to plummet on monday. They better fast track another Shrek and hurry up with 'Dreamworksland'.

• Like 1

DespicableMe2 won't be first for the 3rd weekend in a row...right? :unsure:

The Conjuring. I think it will get over 30M. Even if DM2 dropped only 40%, that's about 25M, I think The Conjuring will do better than that.

Well, if the studio is investing $250 million + in an  original property and it isn't even making $200 million worldwide then they are less likely to greenlight expensive original properties. My thinking is that the studios need to go back to mid-budget original movies. You rarely see $60-80 million movies anymore. It is either shoestring budget movies or big $130 million+ tentpole wannabes.

The studios have no interest in mid-budget movies anymore. It's all about chasing that box-office home run.

I actually would be very surprised, if RIPD wouldn't trail Scott Pilgrim. That's an absolute fanboy movie, of course it was much stronger in matinees and it had a horrible saturday drop. RIPD won't have that big of a drop.

Strange comparison.

So is WWZ the highest grossing non-sequel of the summer? Or are we going to be generous and call Man of Steel a non-sequel

Monsters University is a prequel if you want to get technical

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1