Chewy

Weekend Estimates (starting pg 50) July 19-21

Monsters University is a prequel if you want to get technical

Prequel is just a fancy word for a sequel that doesn't follow its predecessor linearly  :)

• Like 3

The studios have no interest in mid-budget movies anymore. It's all about chasing that box-office home run.

I understand that the advertising cost is so high that studios would rather release two $200 million than 10 $40 million movies but not all studios can afford to play this game. I don't expect Disney to make many (any ?) mid-budget movies for the next decade but studios like Universal , Sony and Paramount don't have enough franchises to compete with Disney. Sony had two big bombs this year and will likely report losses for this fiscal year and it is a studio that was already struggling because of the way things have gone with its parent company. I don't know if all the majors will be able to survive this way.

Prequel is just a fancy word for a sequel that doesn't follow its predecessor linearly  :)

I'll use my term, to keep a film that utterly disrespected its source material from being #1.

• Like 1

You rarely see $60-80 million movies anymore. It is either shoestring budget movies or big $130 million+ tentpole wannabes.

True!

Weren't Lucas & Spielberg saying that in a conference or something?

Hollywood has no middleground anymore.

The (domestic) floor is falling under their feet.

That is fucking terrible for Turbo. It's going to sell less tickets than Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron..... Did Fox dump this film?

Snails!!

Lame premise.

Spirit was great.

Silent animals

Bryan Adams song.

And a very cool-sounding title!

• Like 1

I understand that the advertising cost is so high that studios would rather release two $200 million than 10 $40 million movies but not all studios can afford to play this game. I don't expect Disney to make many (any ?) mid-budget movies for the next decade but studios like Universal , Sony and Paramount don't have enough franchises to compete with Disney. Sony had two big bombs this year and will likely report losses for this fiscal year and it is a studio that was already struggling because of the way things have gone with its parent company. I don't know if all the majors will be able to survive this way.

Oh believe me, I think it's a terrible business model, both creatively and financially. But that doesn't mean the studios won't do it. For the most part, they're entirely crippled by fear, and loath to take any sort of risk (which they now define as mid-budget movies aimed at adults and non-sequel, non-franchise films).

I'll use my term, to keep a film that utterly disrespected its source material from being #1.

Movie itself was a piece of crap ignoring the source material; comparing the two just made seem even worse. Monsters U ftw

in 2015, there are lots of big movies but they are all pretty separated from each other which should help

November 2015

Week 1: Bond 24

Week 2: Peanuts

Week 3: Mockingjay 2

Week 4: Finding Dory

• Like 1

I always hated his haircut in GreenLantern.

So...RyanReynolds-y.

I didn't buy at all into his character.

If there's anything I don't like about Ryan Reynolds hair it's how much it reminds me of Ryan Reynolds. Same goes for the rest of him.

• Like 4