Chewy

Weekend Estimates (starting pg 50) July 19-21

Should we be surprised if Hollywood sticks to the formula of sequels and remakes when original movies have done so poorly at the boxoffice this year?  We are getting what we've always clamored for - ORIGINAL MOVIES.  Yet they're not exactly filling theater seats in the way I had hoped.

It's one thing to say "make better movies and they will come" but when you're that studio exec planning out the release slate for 2017, I suspect sequels/remakes will be viewed even more so as a safe bet.

**Conjuring notwithstanding

Edited by lilmac

Maybe I am the only one that found GL was decent ...

GL's space scenes were good. The earth scenes sucked - they should have just adapted Emerald Dawn instead. But they wanted to get to the "Big Stories" like the Sinestro Corps War and the War of Light and Blackest Night, so they made a movie which fast forwarded to the good parts without bothering to fill the spots in between.

The Heat :wub: TITE is so close to 100m!!!

& after seeing WHD it became my fav summer movie only behing Nysm

Hate how it failed @ the BO :angry: absolutely not deserved

The King's Speech is awesome & deserved all the awards it got.

Edited by Leyla

& after seeing WHD it became my fav summer movie only behing Nysm

Hate how it failed @ the BO :angry: absolutely not deserved

WHD's BO (under)performance is a mystery to me. It got stars at the leads, the trailer looked great & most people who saw it seemed to like it. I don't know why it's leg wasn't better.

Another mystery is why WWZ become so leggy. The movie's good but it isn't better than the rest of the blockbusters I've seen this year. It doesn't deserve to hold that well.

Edited by KATCH 22

WHD is a repeat of a movie that came out 3 months earlier. Why would movie fans choose to watch a repeat when they can go find something new instead?

WWZ is a good movie, but not in the top 5 of the year or anything. It's a good thriller though that keeps you on the edge of your seat for most of the movie, and it deserves tons of props for going in a unique direction compared to just about every other zombie movie. I suspect a lot of members of the GA enjoy being able to go to a "horror" movie that, while it has some scary scenes, won't exactly scare the pants off of them.

WHD is a repeat of a movie that came out 3 months earlier. Why would movie fans choose to watch a repeat when they can go find something new instead?

WWZ is a good movie, but not in the top 5 of the year or anything. It's a good thriller though that keeps you on the edge of your seat for most of the movie, and it deserves tons of props for going in a unique direction compared to just about every other zombie movie. I suspect a lot of members of the GA enjoy being able to go to a "horror" movie that, while it has some scary scenes, won't exactly scare the pants off of them.

OHF got nothing on it though. It had lower budget, no huge star at the lead and got bad reviews.

WWZ - That's a good point about it's being a horror film without a single horrific scene. Maybe it's just a zombie flick for the mass.

• Like 1

WHD's BO (under)performance is a mystery to me. It got stars at the leads, the trailer looked great & most people who saw it seemed to like it. I don't know why it's leg wasn't better.

Another mystery is why WWZ become so leggy. The movie's good but it isn't better than the rest of the blockbusters I've seen this year. It doesn't deserve to hold that well.

WWZ - zombie is a popular cultural icon. it got generally good reviews and is top 5 this summer critically adult blockbuster wise(StiD,IM3,Pac Rim, WWZ,fast six)

WHD - audience fatigue following OHF

Edited by Halba

Kinda off-topic, but are they making a third Sherlock Holmes movie? I've quite enjoyed the franchise so far. 

They actually will. It was planned as a trilogy from the beginning. And... Hell yes! Very good franchise so far.