baumer

The Wolverine (2013)

66 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Starts out great and even feels like the Claremont/Miller series but then it nearly goes completely off the rails in the last 20 minutes. I was left asking myself "What the hell was that about? Silver Samurai is Harada. Didn't they learn anything from Deadpool?" Still, I felt it was an earnest effort and the commercial for DOFP during the end credits made up for the ludicrous ending.

First 1.3 hours: A

Last 20 min: C-

End credit teaser: A

B+ overall.

just saw this for the second time now, a friend wanted to go so I was like why the hell not. so this time I was much more eager to criticize and wasn't blind sighted by the pretty Asian people -_- and the fact that it's a f**cking X-men movie which already pretty much makes it awesome, I guess I didn't realize how slow this movie actually moved the first time, this time I was just bored knowing exactly what was going to happen I looked for other things to keep me interested, and sadly I left slightly open handed what I got was a negative reaction towards the fairly boring dialogue and screenplay plot holes, so overall it was very disappointing the second go around I think the highlight of the entire movie is Vipers Death which is actually kinda cool that and when wolverine performs heart surgery on himself.. fuckin classic lol I'd like to change my rating after my second go im gonna give it a 6/10 but might go down to 5.5 with time, we'll see how it sits on me for the next couple years

Edited by ThatMovieGuy
  • Like 1

just saw this for the second time now, a friend wanted to go so I was like why the hell not. so this time I was much more eager to criticize and wasn't blind sighted by the pretty Asian people -_- and the fact that it's a f**cking X-men movie which already pretty much makes it awesome, I guess I didn't realize how slow this movie actually moved the first time, ............ I'd like to change my rating after my second go im gonna give it a 6/10 but might go down to 5.5 with time, we'll see how it sits on me for the next couple years

I've seen it twice as well and I had a great time BECAUSE I knew exactly what was going to be happening. 

Starts out great and even feels like the Claremont/Miller series but then it nearly goes completely off the rails in the last 20 minutes. I was left asking myself "What the hell was that about? Silver Samurai is Harada. Didn't they learn anything from Deadpool?" Still, I felt it was an earnest effort and the commercial for DOFP during the end credits made up for the ludicrous ending.

First 1.3 hours: A

Last 20 min: C-

End credit teaser: A

B+ overall.

I dind't like the last 20 minutes eihter, but is laughlabe the reason you gave, you didn't like it because is not same person under the armor? LOL

Edited by Goffe

At first I couldn’t tell if I liked The Wolverine because it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.  But having seen it again, I can honestly say that this is a fabulous. 

It’s a very mature and solid story that is –thankfully- devoid of contrivances.  Sure, some of the action gets cartoonish, but it pulls away from that course just as it is about to cross into “yeah right” territory.  Or in some cases, stops the cartoonishness dead in its tracks with a brutal turn of events that make your eyes stop mid-roll.  And make no mistake, this movie is brutal; not only because of its physical violence, but due to the psychological stage on which Logan is forced to confront his demons by engaging  a father-son “team” who are fully embracing theirs. 

Jackman is great, but he can play Wolverine in his sleep.  It’s Sanada who wins the movie by delivering a performance that is steeped in near-Shakespearean animosity.  Honorable mention goes to Tee who filled to the brim every single second of his screen time in his portrayal of the hapless scum-bag politician

With this movie Jackman and Mangold not only fumigated some of the stench from Origins and X3, but provided an excellent baton hand-off to DOFP.  That's a tall order for one movie. Good for them.

• Like 1

Its much better then Wolverine Origins and its a decent watch at home.

I liked the new sidekick girl as she seems to be like a character from anime.

Anyways B

The film climax or villains are not good but the whole story around Wolverine is good. I think the plot twist was interesting but imo ruined the rather solid starting. 

It has some good parts and if it was more focused it would be a much better film. 

The lead up t days of Future past was good.

I just re-watched and it's definitely a breath of fresh air in the superhero genre, even if doesn't add much to it. Really nice visuals, great acting from almost everyone and great character moments (especially scenes with Jean, it was so heartbreaking). It also has good action scenes, but it feels a bit too long this time (I watched the extended cut). Unfortunately, the whole third act still is too comic book for my taste. The score was only good, but this track in particular was just fantastic. B+ (85)

Edited by Goffe

I really enjoyed this. Can't believe I skipped out on it last year. Faults were the 3rd act. I just didn't fit with the rest of the movie. Silver Samurai was cool to look at, and the fight was climatic, but did they have to put Gramps in it? Grandpa coming back and Viper for the entire movie wasn't needed. I still don't know what exactly she was trying to accomplish, other than be hot. I think focusing on "Muriko"? having to take over the company and everyone trying to out her before she can, should've been it, and Logan getting caught up in it. We never did here anyone about the will after they kidnapped her. They didn't need to start up Grandpa again in the last 15 minutes. Also the other guy with the bow and arrow wasn't really needed either. 

Jean Grey's scenes were done well, reminded me of Cotillard and DiCaprio in Inception, the samurai/Yazuki/Wolvie action was nice and fresh. There was not one explosion in this movie, which is an A+. The train scene was stunning, CGI didn't bother me, and it's something we haven't seen in an X-Men film before. Yes, this movie should've focused more on Logan, like Origins, but I was satisfied with this product. Origins is a fun rewatch, but it's still a downright terrible movie, especially the 2nd half. Other than useless characters/subplots, this was satisfying.

B+.

• Like 1