baumer

The Wolverine (2013)

66 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Decent film, much better than Wolverine Origins. Dragged in some parts and the ending didn't feel right nd the Viper villain was weak IMO, but Hugh Jackman is great as always as Wolverine. The end-credits stinger was amazing, too. Overall solid popcorn entertainment, but nothing special. 

B or 7.2/10

Edited by miketheavenger

While it is no doubt better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine, such a statement is akin to saying having sex with a prostitute with herpes is more enticing than having sex with one that has AIDS.

To be fair here this is far from an awful film.  I am always on the look-out for comic material that strives to be a bit different from all its peers.  Such is generally the case here as this is a film that strives to be a bit more slowly paced and more personal than similarly categorized material.  Despite not working with me, this is to be commended as it was refreshing to watch a comic film that felt smaller in scale.  The hope is that that smaller scale would inevitably lead to an end output that is dependent on character and personality.  While the attempt is respectable, unfortunately such is not the case here.

The film begins with Logan seemingly milking away his existence.  A visitor comes upon him and informs him of a request from a past acquaintance.  Naturally, there is more to this request than meets the eye, and what ensues is Logan once again embracing who he is as Wolverine all while helping out innocent people in the spirit of good old-fashioned chivalry.  

Perhaps the biggest issue with me regarding this film was in the constant tug and pull between placing an emphasis on character and personality and supplying the action needed to succeed as comic material.  I didn't feel the drama was good enough to drive the film, nor did I feel the action was good enough to make for solid entertainment.  As such, the film fell into the vast wasteland of films that tread lightly in multiple areas, but never stay in one area long enough to make a significant impact.

The following short synopsis of my viewing experience with this film aptly displays my mindset and overall impression of this material.  I dozed off a few times during the viewing, but nonetheless was able to maintain attention.  One of the longer dozing session just happened to be the last fifteen minutes of the film.  I woke up, and rewound back to where I had left off.  Upon the credits rolling, I was hit with the revelation that in reality I hadn't really missed a damn thing.

Some credit is deserved for attempting something different in the comic realm, but in the end I won't remember a damn thing about this film in a week's time.

The Wolverine is better than it has any right to be. Yet another solo X-Men movie for a character that works better in an ensemble? Pass... except for some reason, this X-Men film has a tone that's uniquely Wolverine. Mangold's direction shines on this film, making an entirely unique blockbuster with a slow pace building atmosphere and making every bit of action count in memorable ways. Jackman anchors the movie giving his best performance as Wolverine yet, and the entire cast features not a single weakspot. However, the romantic subplot is completely out-of-place and sadly typical. The third act also falls into a slightly generic spot as the more intriguing corporate plotline falls into a simple good vs. evil struggle, but that can't prevent the previous ninety minutes from being blockbuster filmmaking at its finest. The Wolverine is a triumph of superhero cinema and a truly fascinating one-off in the X-Men franchise. B

• Like 2

My review from a previous website from opening night. Time capsule!

It can't help but fall victim to an over the top climax which seems to be required of every big budget tentpole flick these days, but James Mangold (definitely up there among the most unexpected directors of a comic book movie) should certainly be commended for giving audiences a comic book movie that's much more low key and personal than any of the previous X-Men movies until that point. It's also significantly better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine and erases some of the bad taste from that movie. Hugh Jackman is as great as ever in the role that made him a star; despite this being the sixth (with a seventh coming next year) time playing Logan/Wolverine, he continues to take the character in interesting directions. The rest of the mostly international cast is pretty solid too, with the most notable obviously being Famke Janssen's extended cameo (via dreams/nightmares). The action scenes are very well-executed as well. Among this summer's comic book movies, this isn't as good as Iron Man 3 but better than Man of Steel. Stick around for a few minutes after the end credits begins for an awesome tease that sets up the direction where Days of Future Past is headed. B

In its best moments, you see flashes of the director who went on to make Logan. Sadly those moments are few and far between, and completely absent from the finale, which abruptly decides the movie isn't serious anymore and will instead be goofy as hell.

On 06/03/2017 at 6:23 PM, Jay Hollywood said:

LOL I actually really like this movie now, the unrated/extended at least. 

I give it a

YES! I knew you would see the light someday.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

Checked out the unrated version. Never going back to the theatrical cut; added action is all fantastic. As for the film itself, the wackiness is a lot more noticeable but it's still a lot more interesting in its filmmaking than most modern superhero movies. Also, it's really fun. Underrated gem of the X-Men franchise.

• Like 1