baumer

The Wolverine (2013)

66 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

But what did you think of the movie scene, not my comment of the scene? It's like something you'd write (only PG-fied duh!).

Yea, I cheered in that scene.  It was very cool.

so I scrolled through all the comments and happen to disagree with a lot of you, don't get me wrong I don't think this movie is very good but it entertained and as it was extremely simplistic and predictable I still enjoyed it for the most part. the most enjoyable part for me was when they slowly managed to unfold the mystery of who was trying to abduct Mariko, I remember at one part I had thought that it was her farther controlling Viper but when the father finds Mariko, we got a little surprise and we find out that someone else is in charge and that basically leaves us with one option, maybe two if you consider Noburo but he ends up  just like most of you probably guessed a stepping stone in the story. Suddenly we realise when Yukio(red) mentions earlier on that she didn't predict her masters death, that Yashida(the master) was behind all this trying to take Wolverines immortality. some of us might have figured this out quite a bit quicker but for me I was relaxed and in the moment. also the relationship building between Mariko and Logan was nice gave us a good image of who The Wolverine was(not that we didn't already know) but is still enjoyable to see, I found that this gave the female audiences something to enjoy, that and all the girls kicking ass!

The biggest issues I had with this film believe it or not was the action which was sub-par in my opinion. plenty of sequences in the first large scaled fight scene just didn't quite add up to well, I also noticed the sound mixing on those scenes were rushed and slightly off, watch it again and focus on Yukio fighting with her staff and you'll see what I'm talking about. 

So all in all we get another Superhero movie but for some reason, maybe it was the setting, maybe it was how the story slowly unfloded, maybe it was the great mixture of comedy/romance and action, but I really felt we got something a bit different here and I've been begging for something different! Favourite comic book movie of the year so far.

7/10

Edited by ThatMovieGuy
  • Like 2

Actually im the worlds greatest critic, and my opinion is by far the best ;)

I LOVED it, but that doesn't count as part of the  movie to me. 

DOFP is still my mostt anticipated of next year. 

Lol Jay....:P I Stand corrected then my friend :P Hee hee. Still cant understand how you could possiblly like X3 and Wolverine I over TW ...lol

• Like 1

I liked it about as much as MOS, a 7/10.  The middle really drags it down but the beginning and the end were great and of course the after credits scene was fantastic.  But one of the big problems with the movie is that Logan becomes to mortal. And I just didn't like that.  It's like Rocky V when Rocky has to go back to being broke and living on the shitty streets of Philly.  I don't want him out of his element.  And the Viper chick just seemed like she was invincible and yet when it called for it, she became easy to kill.

Enjoyable but not fantastic.

I agree there he was mortal too long and Wolverine is a bad ass, we like him having challenges and seeing him recovering  from gruesome adversary indeed baum.  I loved it and I agree one of the flaws was keeping Wolvie mortal a bit too long and also the weaker last half.. That end sequence really raised the satisfaction factor for me though. Baumer how did you react to the end credit sequence?

Hollywood, I know that Transformers and Iron Man are still hot, but can we stop with the friggin'

big mechanical robot/robot suit

in every fucking action movie??? (And yes, I include AVATAR in that plea). I am so over that.

The Silver Samurai and Viper had a complex relationship in the old Spider-Woman comics, and their history together was, in my opinion, more interesting that anything the writers of the film came up with. Oh, and

Viper is not a mutant or a member of the Serpent Society

, you jerks. :) What the hell was that????  Except for Jackman, and some ocassional badass moments from Yukio, the film was pure trash, if you ask me.

@fishnet as much i don't  quite agree with your review it was entertaining  i lol a lot

i liked it and gave it an A- , i loved the japanese setting , the action was great whether the train scene or the ninja arrow-ing wolverine

it felt like a throwback to japanese manga city hunter which i know as nicky larson in french 

now nicky larson is an unusual bodyguard type who gets hired to protect damsels in distress in japan , if you ever watch it you'll see what i mean , ensues lots of a fight with bad guys who want to kidnapp or kill her for some rival family or something , while protecting her girl falls for nicky coz he's irresistible  bad ass macho with a golden heart and then even though he has feelings for her at the end they part ways as they realized they can't live in each other's world (but yeah the girl usually feels it more than nicky who feels until next girl/heiress comes in pic ) they kiss she goes into a plane and nicky walks away  EPIC 

this is basically what happens in wolverine, but since pacific rim i've gotten all nostalgic about my manga childhood viewing so even though some things were a bit head-scratching it didnt deter from my being entertained overall

i gotta agree though it was a bit hard to follow who was the villain , the childhood friend i thought he was nice but then he's in cohoot with viper chick , i thought viper chick was the big evil who killed the old man to take wolverine powers for herself but that turned out to be wrong , i thought the father wanted his kid dead but then ehh who knows i was bit confused about that 

i tots didnt see the grdfather still being alive which given pacific rim lately should have made an alarm go off in my head but i guess i bought plot the old man was dead

as for the romance it was ok , wolverine aint nothing to sneeze at, i'd swoon too lol

my true one peeve is him seeing jean all the time i wish he'd get over her already , she was never that into you to begin with ,everytime i saw her face i couldnt help remember she blew cyclops to bits which annoys me to no end as per fox cartoon on saturdays they got married and dealt with her phoenix issues (i vaguely remember i'll admit, yeah i'm miffed on cyclops behalf )

i didnt see the end credit scene, grrr but i was with a friend and she had to work so as soon as film was over it was like lets go , if i was by myself i usually wait till everyone is out before leaving 

• Like 1

Wolverine 2

1:50PM

About 40% Full

Trailers:

Percy Jackson 2: Does not look that bad actually.

Mortal Instruments: Was trying to figure out what this was. Looks laughable at some points (Which it actually did have some laughs)Paranoia: Looks good, nice too see Ford and Oldman back together. (And I swear Ford is quite a bit shorter now) Some talking after it.

Prisoners: Hey he is in this film we are about to watch!

Anchorman 2: Quite a bit of laughs.

47 Ronin: Does not look as near as bad as some are making it out to be.

Walter Mitty: Looks interesting. Could be a good kids film.

Movie: Pretty good. Kids will probably not like it that much though, as it can come across as boring. The first half was decent but the 2nd half did get better. Audience really enjoyed it. The Russian villain was a interesting one. (I called her the Russian villain at least)

The scene during the end credits got tons of responses.

Film was pretty dark at times and pretty violent also (

I swear that has to be possibly the most violent ending I've seen for a Marvel film, the villains death was pretty interesting.

)

B+

Thought it was not as good as First Class but better then Wolvie 1 (Have not seen the first 3 films in years

All I will say is that I enjoyed the movie, I think it's a nice addition to the X-series and a good chapter in the mutant life of Wolvie. Sure, it got some major problems, but despite it all, I had a fun time watching the movie.

I love Hugh Jackman as Logan, he's so cool, and handsome, and charismatic, and hot. He's great in the role and is definitely a perfect fit for Wolvie, no matter how much some fanboys might complain about his height  :P

I also have a soft spot for Yukio, I think she's really cute, would love to see her in future X-men movies or maybe another Wolverine solo, being his adorable bodyguard.

Solid B from me.

• Like 1

Hollywood, I know that Transformers and Iron Man are still hot, but can we stop with the friggin'

big mechanical robot/robot suit

in every fucking action movie??? (And yes, I include AVATAR in that plea).

Avatar's mecha made sense because humans are no match to Na'vi, so they had to create something that gives them about equal physical strength and height. OTOH, why did Atomc Bomb Outrunner have to create a Silver Samurai in order to keep him alive? Did he antiicpate a fight with Wolverine all these years? It's unclear but it looked helluva stupid. I mena, seirousy, the guy was kept alive in a giant silver samurai mecha. Why? Because it looks cool? Granted, if you were a dying billionaire and adamentium chamber is the only way to prolong your sorry life, I guess you'd be like, "what the hell, I'm gonna re-design it to look like a silver samurai now that I have to spend 24-7 in there. It's my childhood dream". or something. But the movie never explains why the chamber had to be a Badass Fighting Mecha. Who was he fighting before Wolverine arrived? Like, really stupid. I get that it somehow ties in with his being a failed samurai (scared of death) but c'mon!

Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

It seemed like his plan A was to convince Wolverine to volunteer. Plan B was to forcibly take the power from Wolverine. I think he realised very early Plan B would be the likely outcome but he gave Plan A a go first.

His speech why Wolverine should give away his powers pretty much sunk any chance that he'd give them away. It was a typical deranged bad guy speech that no amount of "grandfather is a good man, everyone else is bad" could cover the fact that he was the main villain behind those 1000+ kidnappings of Mariko.

• Like 1

Grade: A-

This is a better overall story than Iron Man 3. I saw it twice and it's very solid. I don't have the problem with the third act that I read critics did. They cleaned up the CGI on the Silver Samurai suit and the reasons for arriving at that moment are laid out in the film. 

I found the story wove great connectors about him being a soldier and a monster through the film and his arrival of the answers about himself on both points to be well done.

I was never bored in the film and am amazed when I read that some say they were.

What humor was in the film was well done and delivered exceptionally. 

Everything from how the past intersected with the present on many layers worked.

Logan and Yashida

Mariko and The Archer(can't recall his name)

Logan and Jean

Logan to X3, with Xavier

All of this was solid imo.

My one complaint would be that Viper wasn't that strong a foe. The screenplay resorted to the girl fight when as the mutant bad guy she should've been fighting Wolverine. Still, the Yukio fight was well done. The fascination Yashida had with Wolverine explains his reaching out to Viper, building the adamantium suit that ties into his Black Clan heritage of the Silver Samurai. 

Just a very solid film that deserves to do financially well. 

B+

Did any one think grandfather was dead? I don't know why movies even bother. But other than that eye roller it was a really good movie with some great fight scenes. And how great was the scene on top the train?

Also gtfo Jean. If you're dead stay dead bitch.

Edited by glassfairy
  • Like 1

Im a little confused as to how wolverine remembered his japanese friend because in Origins he got shot in the head and forgot everything. Does anyone care to explain this?

I'd have to see X3 again but I thought memories had begun to come back to him in pieces during that film.

The hyperbole in this discussion is amazing!!!

The talking scenes were boring....LOL!! Opinion discredited, probably someone who praises Nolan's long diatribes of dialogue. 

Worst X-Men film....I think I like Origins more now after seeing this. Hilarious!

• Like 1

B+

Did any one think grandfather was dead?

No because it was telegraphed that he was the villain. I mena, if his speech wasn't enough that weirdo bed surely was. And his viper doctor. Did anyone really buy that Viper was the main one?

B+

Did any one think grandfather was dead? I don't know why movies even bother. But other than that eye roller it was a really good movie with some great fight scenes. And how great was the scene on top the train?

Also gtfo Jean. If you're dead stay dead bitch.

I too agree, It wasn't as I expected. But wasn't bad as some have grade it.

• Like 1