baumer

Blue Jasmine (2013)

34 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I think Jasmine might be one of the worst human beings ever created in film.  There is absolutely nothing to like about her.  She's a terrible, horrible, no good very bad person.  She's selfish, self centered, detached from reality, sychophantic, materialistic, cruel and pretty much a monster.  I'm not sure who was worse, her husband, who was basically the Wolf of Wall Street, or her.  As long as the diamonds and yachts and furs and private parties in the Hamptons are rolling in, she doesn't care who she hurts, including her sister.  I wanted her to get it much worse than what she did.  Her comeuppance wasn't enough for me.  I honestly truly hated her.

7/10

I think Jasmine might be one of the worst human beings ever created in film.  There is absolutely nothing to like about her.  She's a terrible, horrible, no good very bad person.  She's selfish, self centered, detached from reality, sychophantic, materialistic, cruel and pretty much a monster.  I'm not sure who was worse, her husband, who was basically the Wolf of Wall Street, or her.  As long as the diamonds and yachts and furs and private parties in the Hamptons are rolling in, she doesn't care who she hurts, including her sister.  I wanted her to get it much worse than what she did.  Her comeuppance wasn't enough for me.  I honestly truly hated her.

7/10

Whoa I actually felt bad for her.  :P

Whoa I actually felt bad for her.  :P

Why?  She was horrible to everyone around her.  She stepped over people as long as it benefited her.  

She did have a genuine concern for her sister, even if she may have overstepped her boundaries.

I don't think she did.  She was happy that she wasn't as successful as she was.  She took pride in the fact that she was prettier.  She didn't like her life and yet what had Jasmine done ON HER OWN  to make her successful?  Absolutely nothing.  Every success she had in life was because the men she met.  She didn't even want the life of a dentist's wife, and they make about 200-300K a year.  Nope, she had to have the life of a Wolf of Wall Street guy.  She sneered at the working man and woman and all she saw was the glitz and glamour that other people could provide her while doing nothing to earn any of it herself.  She was an enormous piece of shit.

Then again, that dentist was more of the more ludicrous professionals I've ever seen.

Oh I agree.  He was a complete ass and should have lost his license and been charged with assault at least.  But she still looked down on him because he wasn't a gazillionaire.

Oh I agree.  He was a complete ass and should have lost his license and been charged with assault at least.  But she still looked down on him because he wasn't a gazillionaire.

Yeah, I was bitching more at Woody creating this ridiculous straw-man of a "villain". Michael Bay would think it was too much.

• Like 2

Why?  She was horrible to everyone around her.  She stepped over people as long as it benefited her.  

I've experienced a couple negative major changes in my life, and I gotta say it's a very traumatic experience. It was probably more so for Jasmine. I can only imagine what she went through emotionally after she lost everything that makes her happy, regardless of how selfish she was. I don't even think she was evil. Her husband ruined her life and she took revenge of him during a tantrum. What I hate most is how her stepson blames her and hates her...It doesn't make sense.

Edited by lolifofo
  • Like 1

I've experienced a couple negative major changes in my life, and I gotta say it's a very traumatic experience. It was probably more so for Jasmine. I can only imagine what she went through emotionally after she lost everything that makes her happy, regardless of how selfish she was. I don't even think she was evil. Her husband ruined her life and she took revenge of him during a tantrum. What I hate most is how her stepson blames her and hates her...It doesn't make sense.

Her husband didn't ruin her life.  He cheated on her.  That happens all the time.  In a fit of rage, and in an act of pure greed and selfishnesh, she called the FBI and told on him like a 3 year old tells on her sister because she looked at her funny.  She was going to be well taken care of.  She would of had all the money in the world.  She would have been in that circle still but instead, like a kid taking his hockey net home (Canadian reference, sorry don't know if you'll get it), she wanted him to hurt as much as she was.  I think everyone has been cheated on and it sucks but you get over it.  She turned a blind eye to everything as long as the money was there.  She didn't work, she didn't want to work and all she had to do in life was shopping, nail polish and go on vacations.  And when she thought that might end, instead of taking him for half his shit like most women would do, she called the FBI, like the spoiled bitch she was.  Her son hated her because he lost a father.  He committed suicide while in jail.  It makes sense to me.  

Edited by baumer

The overall film had a decent script and nice direction, but what makes this movie is Blanchett's performance. The pure definition of a magnetic performance, it's impossible to take one's eyes off her. The performance makes this movie worth while. A

• Like 1

This movie was great, but I couldnt put it into A territory, because of that ending. Me and my GF literally sat there like "...? Thats it?" I understand why Woody did it, but i didnt like it. There was nothing redeemable. The problem is that I got emotionally invested in Jasmine. I rooted for her. I felt for her character and her struggles, but then in the end its like it didnt matter. I was also annoyed by her sisters subplot. Louis CK really didnt need to be in the movie. Cate hit it out of the park though and it was a well made movie, but when I watch a movie with a story like this, even when it ends on a low note, i want something good to be able to pull out of the characters struggle. There was none of that here. She lost everything, everyone, the end.B+

Edited by Jandrew