RyneOh1040

Weekend Numbers

I'll remember Pacific Rim in ten years, I won't remember how much money it made. I'm happier that way.

Somehow I doubt even those who enjoyed it will remember it in 10 years, especially once its awesome VFX are dated. I'll be sure to ask you what you think of it in 2023. :P

Edited by MovieMan89

Nothing like ugly winners...

I agree with you on the whole.  However, too many times people make strong statements such as: (for example) The Hobbit is going to make 400, it can't miss. ROTK won 700 Oscars and now it has 3D, IMAX and the Christmas Holidays will carry it over 400.  I won't be surprised if it makes 500 but 400 is locked.  

Then you get a rebuttal from some like this:

"400 is not locked.  It's been 9 years and the market has changed.  300 will be attainable but I think 400 is going to be really difficult."

Then you get this:  "You're crazy if you think it will only get to 300.  Every LOTR film made 300 without 3D.  You are obviously a LOTR hater if you think 300 is where it will land"

Then when it landed at 300 and all those people who ripped into you for being a hater and stupid and so on, disappear.  They don't come around and say they were wrong or that you were right or that they were sorry for ripping into you and your family and your colleagues and they don't apologize for telling you that they are going to murder your pet because you had a different opinion.

So no one likes a sore winner, I agree.  But if you are going to make a bold statement about a film and you end up being wrong, if you want to avoid the sore winner syndrome, be a man (or a woman) and fess up to you bad call.  

It's as easy as blueberry pie.

It's also the primary reason the summer game was created 6 years ago.

• Like 7

too many movies being released in  a short span I think was the problem

If someone had told me that Oz would have a higher DOM than STID I would have laughed my ass off......but I guess I'm the fool. Are we really not going to have any other summer blockbust not reach 300M (other than iron man 3)? If it's because too many movies were released in a short span, then I might be worried after all about 2015.

• Like 1

I agree with you on the whole.  However, too many times people make strong statements such as: (for example) The Hobbit is going to make 400, it can't miss. ROTK won 700 Oscars and now it has 3D, IMAX and the Christmas Holidays will carry it over 400.  I won't be surprised if it makes 500 but 400 is locked.  

"400 is not locked.  It's been 9 years and the market has changed.  300 will be attainable but I think 400 is going to be really difficult."

Then you get this:  "You're crazy if you think it will only get to 300.  Every LOTR film made 300 without 3D.  You are obviously a LOTR hater if you think 300 is where it will land"

Then when it landed at 300 and all those people who ripped into you for being a hater and stupid and so on, disappear.  They don't come around and say they were wrong or that you were right or that they were sorry for ripping into you and your family and your colleagues and they don't apologize for telling you that they are going to murder your pet because you had a different opinion.

So no one likes a sore winner, I agree.  But if you are going to make a bold statement about a film and you end up being wrong, if you want to avoid the sore winner syndrome, be a man (or a woman) and fess up to you bad call.  

May I ask who they are?  :P  :ph34r:

If someone had told me that Oz would have a higher DOM than STID I would have laughed my ass off......but I guess I'm the fool. Are we really not going to have any other summer blockbust not reach 300M (other than iron man 3)? If it's because too many movies were released in a short span, then I might be worried after all about 2015.

IMHO the films this summer are not excellent.  There are some very good ones, but too many are just so forgettable.  I realize my taste in film is much different most here but the only films that really really blew me away this summer are Mud and This is the End.  There were some very good ones like WHD, WWZ, DM2 and NYSM.  But other than that, imo the films, although they might have been good, are wholly forgettable and then there are some that are just frikkin horrible, even though they made 400 million bucks.

And DM2 has reached 300 mill or it will be the end of the night.  That will be the only other film this summer to do so.

• Like 1

Or as I said (and you used as your signature for awhile), Don't be an asshole about your predictions and nobody will be an asshole to you when you're wrong.

• Like 1

nobody was expecting STID to finish below Oz no matter what people say. Also another problem is a lot of movies have rapidly lost theaters due to new releases pretty much killing late business. 

IMHO the films this summer are not excellent.  There are some very good ones, but too many are just so forgettable.  I realize my taste in film is much different most here but the only films that really really blew me away this summer are Mud and This is the End.  There were some very good ones like WHD, WWZ, DM2 and NYSM.  But other than that, imo the films, although they might have been good, are wholly forgettable and then there are some that are just frikkin horrible, even though they made 400 million bucks.

And DM2 has reached 300 mill or it will be the end of the night.  That will be the only other film this summer to do so.

Yes, I did actually see that after I posted. DM2 is 5M away and will actually hit 300M......woo......

nobody was expecting STID to finish below Oz no matter what people say. Also another problem is a lot of movies have rapidly lost theaters due to new releases pretty much killing late business. 

Exactly, which is why I hope 2015 doesn't stay as crowded as it is. They should look at this year as a lesson. Having too many big movies on top of each other will ruin any of them doing what they could be capable of doing.

Go find the Hobbit thread from last year.  It's a long read, but it's there.

LOL, I don't think I have the patience. But according to how you described it, that sounds pretty dumb and arrogant of some when they immediately jump on and label someone as haters for not agreeing with their opinions. So predicting a movie to do 300M is hating now, that's new to me  :lol:

• Like 1