Neo

The Fate of the Furious | 4.14.2017

17 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

average rating is low. I think this will drop. No guarantee it stays fresh. Still its better than what I expected based on trailers.

Even the positive reviews give the vibe that it's a notch down. I don't think it does much more than 2.3x considering the previous one did 2.4x.

120 ow/2.3x gives 275 dom. (Still a strong solid number. Will be insane OS. So at least a couple more last rides in the offing.)

Edited by a2knet

2 hours ago, a2knet said:

Even the positive reviews give the vibe that it's a notch down. I don't think it does much more than 2.3x considering the previous one did 2.4x.

120 ow/2.3x gives 275 dom. (Still a strong solid number. Will be insane OS. So at least a couple more last rides in the offing.)

I'm sticking with a 2.4 multiplier. It's been very consistent over the last 3 films with varying sizes of opening weekends.

3 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

No doubts about that, most of critics gave a pass to this movie thanks to that ending, F8 won't have this, I just hope it will stay fresh.

And I didn't like that.

Plenty of reviews had that :

" Who knew you could be emotionnal in a Fast & Furious movie ? "

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

None of the Fast sequels have had great multiplier. They are more about big openings with upfront fan base

Nope, but F5, 6 and 7 all did around a 2.4 multiplier. I don't see any reason for F8 to buck the trend, at least too much. It could, obviously, but I'll stick with it for now.

18 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Nope, but F5, 6 and 7 all did around a 2.4 multiplier. I don't see any reason for F8 to buck the trend, at least too much. It could, obviously, but I'll stick with it for now.

F7 multi (2.40x) did drop a tiny bit from F6 (2.45x) which is very creditable considering the huge Thu previews F7 had (15.8m 7pm onwards) compared to F6 (6.5m).

It maintained steady legs thanks to the reception.

For F8 the previews will begin even earlier. If it's reception is lesser, which imo it will be, then 2.3-2.35x is likely.

Edited by a2knet

‘Fate Of The Furious’ Global Opening Could Leave ‘F7’s $397M+ Debut In The Dust – Box Office Preview

by Anthony D'Alessandro

and Nancy Tartaglione

f8.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=1
Universal Pictures

In what has become a tradition, Universal is kicking off the summer in the middle of April with its eighth Fast and Furious title in the 16-year-old franchise, The Fate of the Furious this weekend, and in regards to its theatrical debut, it will be a shot heard around the world with an opening between $375M on the low end and $440M on the high end.

fate-of-the-furious.jpg?w=301&h=202&crop
Universal Pictures

Should Fate of the Furious race past $397.7M, it will easily beat the opening of its predecessor, Furious 7which was also a global Easter release, and become Universal’s second-biggest global opener after 2015’s Jurassic World ($525M). Without a doubt, the weekend will propel the Fast and Furious franchise beyond the $4 billion mark at the B.O. Through seven titles, it currently stands north of $3.9B. Uni first moved Fast and Furious to April with the 2009 fourth installment Fast and Furious ($70.9M domestic opening, $155M stateside final, $363M global), followed by 2011’s Fast Five ($86.1M, $209.8M, global $626M).

Fate of the Furious will be on 20K locations in 63 foreign territories including China, but sans Japan (which bows on April 28), and in U.S./Canada, the film will be the widest pre-summer release ever at an estimated 4,304 venues, besting the 4,242 opening theater count of last Easter’s Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice. In sum, Universal’s most ambitious worldwide distribution releases in the studio’s history.

The eighth-quel, which is directed by F. Gary Gray, who takes over for F7‘s James Wan, comes with an asterisk at the box office. After the huzzah of F7‘s $147.1M domestic opening, the laws of acclaimed science-fiction film Gravity as they relate to sequels indicate that F8 will ease down. Analysts are forecasting a $100M-$110M over three days in U.S./Canada with previews kicking off Thursday at 7PM. And that’s just normal in regards to the B.O. dip. Overseas is expected to clock more than F7‘s $250.5M with a $275M-$330M debut for F8, which revs up Wednesday eight markets including Australia, France and Korea. By the weekend, foreign will have 688 IMAX screens in the tank with 392 of those in China. Why higher? F7 was impacted by currency fluctuations two years ago, plus that foreign bow came without China and Russia. China is the real diesel in F8‘s tank, because if it really pops, some analysts believe that a $350M-plus foreign opening isn’t out of the question. Folks think the stars would have to truly align everywhere for that to happen — there are other factors to bear in mind including warm, sunny weather in parts of Europe which can slow moviegoing. Anything over Jurassic World’s $316.7M international launch is a new all-time opening record overseas. That film, which bowed later in the year, had China and Russia in its opening suite at $100.1M and $10M, respectively.

• Like 4

Im really hoping for a Lucas Black cameo setting up a bigger role in 9. I literally laughed in the theater seeing him in his 30s playing a 17 year old in Furious 7 (although he really didn't even pass when he was in his 20s). You got to love this series continuity. 

Edited by Rman823

Just now, Rman823 said:

Im really hoping for a Lucas Black cameo setting up a bigger role in 9. I literally laughed in the theater seeing him in his 30s playing a 17 year old in Furious 6 (although he really didn't even pass when he was in his 20s). You got to love this series continuity. 

Even the filmmakers probably realized how ricidculous that was which is why he only had a came in 7 and looks to not be in this one 

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Even the filmmakers probably realized how ricidculous that was which is why he only had a came in 7 and looks to not be in this one 

Yeah but it's not like it's the most ridiculous thing this series has done. Given that it seemed like there was only a couple of people who knew who he was when I seen him in theater they're probably better off just letting that part of the series die with Han.