Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Have to say I'm surprised by some of the reactions to Spielberg not making this when the last one (which was made by him) was widely considered a dud. I assume he'll still be staying on as producer.

I can't speak for anyone else but I personally think that KOTCS is perfectly ok movie. What bugs me are all these comments about passing the torch to "new voices" and implying that they'll continue to make more of these.

Now I like a lot of Mangold's movies, but he is a middle aged journeyman director whose last three movies were an Oscar-bait biopic, a Wolverine sequel, and another Wolverine sequel.

Not bad movies by any means I must add, but lets be real. He wasn't hired to bring an exciting new voice to the franchise. He was picked because he would shoot the movie on time, on budget, and wouldn't rock the boat.

:Edit: I should stress that I don't want this to be what happens, I truly hope he makes a great movie with a unique take on the material. I'm just not holding my breath.

Edited by TerwillikerInst

17 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lol although I think Mangold is a good replacement, this isn't an upgrade. If this was purely about the action sequences and spectacle (wouldn't mind if we got some action sequences like the one from Spielberg's own Tintin), I'd say James Wan would come close to an upgrade

no

21 minutes ago, Chucky said:

I'm sure they are deeply upset by this

Yes, because the only reason anyone ever gives for saying why they’re interested in a film or not is to stick it to the big corporation.  

This totally isn’t a forum meant to discuss films and why or why you don’t care to see them

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Yes, because the only reason anyone ever gives for saying why they’re interested in a film or not is to stick it to the big corporation.  

This totally isn’t a forum meant to discuss films and why or why you don’t care to see them

A little sarcasm didn't hurt anyone

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

Have to say I'm surprised by some of the reactions to Spielberg not making this when the last one (which was made by him) was widely considered a dud. I assume he'll still be staying on as producer.

The last one still was a lot of fun, looked amazing, and the action sequences were top notch. Gimme more of that schlocky, insane, and unique shit. I'd rather take that than the "dad" stuff that Mangold makes. I'm pretty sure Mangold was brought in to JJ the movie which is not what I really want. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

The last one still was a lot of fun, looked amazing, and the action sequences were top notch. Gimme more of that schlocky, insane, and unique shit. I'd rather take that than the "dad" stuff that Mangold makes. I'm pretty sure Mangold was brought in to JJ the movie which is not what I really want. 

i agree with that spielberd is still the best choice, but imo between mangold and wan i prefer mangold

6 minutes ago, Chucky said:

Yeah Spielberg hasn't made a great crowd pleasing blockbuster in years. I like Mangold as a choice. Spielberg should make more movies like Bridge of Spies 

Ready Player One just made over half a billion dollars a bit less than two years ago. Tintin was also also an extremely fun ride. The last time Mangold made a proper PG-13 blockbuster movie was The Wolverine which was an absolute bore.

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Ready Player One just made over half a billion dollars a bit less than two years ago. Tintin was also also an extremely fun ride. The last time Mangold made a proper PG-13 blockbuster movie was The Wolverine which was an absolute bore.

i remember watching tin tin in cinemas, i loved it

9 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

RPO I admit was more fun than I expected but TinTin? No

13 minutes ago, john2000 said:

i agree with that spielberd is still the best choice, but imo between mangold and wan i prefer mangold

Wan can adventurous, over the top action better than Mangold so nah. 

Honestly forget even Wan, get this one to be directed by Gore Verbinski. He does a great job at capturing the Spielbergian tone too and his action sequences are bonkers in the best way possible.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Wan can adventurous, over the top action better than Mangold so nah. 

Honestly forget even Wan, get this one to be directed by Gore Verbinski. He does a great job at capturing the Spielbergian tone too and his action sequences are bonkers in the best way possible.

Gore Verbinski sounds perfect