Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

45 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

PS - after seeing the comparison to No Time To Die I looked up that film’s RT. How in the fuck did that manage 83%?

Because 83% of critics either enjoyed or recommended it. The 7.3 average rating was more indicative that it was good, not great. 

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

There is totally nostalgia for Crystal Skull among my gen. 

I'm absolutely not buying that. I have never heard a single person I talk to speak of it in a good light. When it does get mentioned it's usually with a reference to the stupid fridge scene or Shia jokes.

• Like 4

As a movie theater employee, I know first-hand that old folks will definitely see this anyway. So the reviews don’t mean this will outright bomb, because there’s a lot of audiences who, simply put, just want to see Indy. This might put a dent in how many people are willing to pay for overpriced tickets though, and how competitive this film will be against the other Summer films. Mission: Impossible is right around the corner and probably rubbing its hands together…

Edited by SLAM!

I mean, if you cast Blanchett as the villain and you STILL can't make the character memorable, your movie's absolutely boned.

People (understandably) like to shit talk Shia but he was only a part of why that experience was lousy.

Considering that Crystal Skull was made by the original creators I'm gonna be charitable and say that Mangold wasn't really responsible for this movie getting a poor reception, but when you have four screenwriters and the movie still sucks, it's a sign the concept is pretty much done for.

I actually only really love raiders and crusade. Temple of doom I feel is a Chore  to sit thru thoigh I love the opening.

The scene with the guy taking out the guys heart was just incredibly stupid and. I can't believe that  and a gremlin getting microwaved got us the invention of the pg-13 rating

Just ridiculous. Imo

• Like 1

There is the very real Lucasfilm curse but there's also the Spielberg franchise problem where the second you take him out of the director's chair and start making sequels they just don't work. I know the first Jurassic World survived with solid reviews, but that thing aged like milk fast. It's all the Jaws sequels, Jurassic sequels and now the non-Spielberg Indiana Jones sequel. He made the right choice to step away to make other more personal movies, but I would've loved to see him have some fun with this one.

Edited by Lucas

19 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Mario seems like it is, though...and Spidey is looking great...so for now, I think they are batting 2 for 2:)...I'll take the hit when they fail wildly:)...

For the record, they are not sold on Ruby, which is why I'm not...that's an "eh, we'd see it if we're bored or it's cheap enough"...

Next big one for the youngest is Five Nights at Freddy which I mentioned hours after the trailer premiered...no idea why that's straight to streaming for now...

Edit to Add: And if I'm being fair, Elemental actually also falls into the "eh, we'd see it if we're bored or it's cheap enough", so its marketing has kinda seeped in...it's not a "we're not seeing that" reaction...

I had no idea what Ruby was until this post so thanks. Looks doomed lol. 

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

There is the very real Lucasfilm curse but there's also the Spielberg franchise problem where the second you take him out of the director's chair and start making sequels they just don't work. I know the first Jurassic World survived with solid reviews, but that thing aged like milk fast. It's all the Jaws sequels, Jurassic sequels and now the non-Spielberg Indiana Jones sequel. He made the right choice to step away to make other more personal movies, but I would've loved to see him have some fun with this one.

Jmo but jaws 2 is fantastic thanks to.roy schieders on set meltdown helping his performance... it's brodys movie not the sharks. 

7 minutes ago, screambaby said:

Jmo but jaws 2 is fantastic thanks to.roy schieders on set meltdown helping his performance... it's brodys movie not the sharks. 

I don't mind Jaws 2 that much, I agree Roy Scheider carries it far. I also find Fallen Kingdom quite interesting but 90% from a directing standpoint. But no doubt if I were to rank the franchises all the Spielberg entries would end up safely on top. And now if Dial of Destiny is as uninteresting and stale as the reviews make it seem then it's definitely heading to the bottom of my Indy list. Even the franchises where Spielberg makes a merely passable sequel himself (TLW & KotCS) they still can't seem to be topped.

Edited by Lucas

28 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I'm absolutely not buying that. I have never heard a single person I talk to speak of it in a good light. When it does get mentioned it's usually with a reference to the stupid fridge scene or Shia jokes.

Critics praised Skull when it was released.

Jurassic World is still very solid and much better than JP3 for me. Not nearly as well crafted as the original, but it is just such a fun romp from start to finish. It's the only one from the new trilogy I care to rewatch.