Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

5 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Rotten Tomatoes needs a fucking cleansing.

Harrison Ford Fight GIF by Indiana Jones

Jeez. Spent the last 20 minutes combing through this guy’s reviews. Do yourself a favour and ignore this idiot.

yea yea I get everyone is entitled to their own opinion, doesn’t mean I can’t think it should be ignored and left on Twitter

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Bob Train said:

I don’t think Ford’s age is the issue. The issue is that Indy fans won’t show up for Crystal Skull 2, because they don’t want to see Indy bullied and replaced.

Wait…what? Do you still believe those fake accounts that had PWB’s character replacing Indy or are you consciously perpetuating that lie? Why is Dial of Destiny “Crystal Skull 2”?

Edited by Xavier

Wait, how on Earth I’m just hearing about this now?

There’s part of the same ol’ crowd worried that Phoebe is taking off Indiana Jones role when she is a massive old school Tomb Raider nerd and wants to write and produce a Tomb Raider show more inspired by the old games?! The nerds are truly taking over, I could never imagina she was a Lara Croft fan.

It doesn’t seem like she is thinking about playing her either, despite me thinking she could. Very intrigued by this.

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

will the 3/5 “I guess it’s ok” reviews  really move the needle with people though? 

I don't think there's much that can "save it" now regarding the critical reaction, but I will say the vast majority of recent reviews (maybe the last 50-60 or so) have leaned quite a bit higher than the 3/5 "it's fine" level that we got used to a month ago, and there has still been nothing scathing. Coming out of Cannes I was expecting a lot more pans by now, but the lowest it generally seems to be going is "mid".

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

Wait, how on Earth I’m just hearing about this now?

There’s part of the same ol’ crowd worried that Phoebe is taking off Indiana Jones role when she is a massive old school Tomb Raider nerd and wants to write and produce a Tomb Raider show more inspired by the old games?! The nerds are truly taking over, I could never imagina she was a Lara Croft fan.

It doesn’t seem like she is thinking about playing her either, despite me thinking she could. Very intrigued by this.

She’s as good a choice as any to give it a go but her involvement with the last bond film was massively hyped and we all know what a slog that was. I know she was only hired to polish the script, but…

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

Think it’s fair to say Crystal Skull caused far more damage to this franchise than the prequels did for Star Wars. Hell the prequels are beloved by the audience that grew up with them while nobody loves or even really likes CS

Ending on a good note saves that trilogy, it still has a lot of problems (a lot of which are carried over from the first 2) but it's atleast a very enjoyable trip. The other two are terrible though.

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

Think it’s fair to say Crystal Skull caused far more damage to this franchise than the prequels did for Star Wars. Hell the prequels are beloved by the audience that grew up with them while nobody loves or even really likes CS

The prequels were followed up on. CS just came out and we got nothing else for 15 years and theres nothing to connect the two. Difference between a solo film and an era.

10 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

She’s as good a choice as any to give it a go but her involvement with the last bond film was massively hyped and we all know what a slog that was. I know she was only hired to polish the script, but…

My point is that we never really had a massive nerd working on a gaming property if I’m remembering correctly. I feel like some people are better suited for some projects than others, and she seems like a massive Tomb Raider fan. Never watched Fleabag, but heard good stuff about it. I think Tomb Raider is the actual spiritual successor of Indiana Jones even more so than Uncharted, so this seems kinda fitting and full circle. Count me cautiously optimistic with this.

19 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

and we all know what a slog that was. I know she was only hired to polish the script, but…

I personally didn't find that film much of a slog at all, to be honest, but that's a topic for another day. 

I don’t really feel that the anticipation for this is any more positive than it was for The Flash, so I can see it flopping pretty hard too. Indy has always been closely aligned in the public’s mind to Star Wars, and Disney’s poor treatment of that franchise might affect how people regard this movie. The sequel trilogy is rightly lambasted these days, and the same people are responsible for this. Not an encouraging sign.

Edited by FunkMiller
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, screambaby said:

This is gonna look really weird if this gets certified fresh after the cannes debacle 

It is the Cannes debacle that looks really weird. How did an experienced company like Disney or Lucasfilm miscalculate things like this?

• Like 1