Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

6 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Ofcorse Indy is gonna be much more leggier . Trajectory I'm talking is specifically about the 3 day OW alone.

Flash had 9.7x 5.68 - 55M

Pessimistic Indy -7x8= 56M.

Even with flash like opening due to its target audience it would be way more leggier.

John wick 3 open 56m and finished around 171m. That's my lowest I have it at . If CS falls below A-

Realistic 65m/87m 5 day  legging to low 200s . A- CS 

Nice  72/100M+ 5 day legging to high 200s -300m+.  A

OS expect this to do well in Europe which should be enough for 300-400m+ depending on WOM. 

Asia was never big on Indy . Japan only interesting one.

Don't know about LATAM

Overall vibe I'm getting this seems to be better than crystal skull.

Don't see this below 500m. 

It's definitely not the flash and don't expect to be anywhere as low as that range.

That’s reasonable, yeah I agree with this.

There’s long stretches of the movie that are really great. 

All people will talk about is the de-ageing and their thoughts on how it ends. Which is fair enough. Yet in-between the thing is a really well made, rollicking adventure. 

Ford is brilliant.  I enjoyed it fine, but that ending may well dictate how it performs in the long run. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

There’s long stretches of the movie that are really great. 

All people will talk about is the de-ageing and their thoughts on how it ends. Which is fair enough. Yet in-between the thing is a really well made, rollicking adventure. 

Ford is brilliant.  I enjoyed it fine, but that ending may well dictate how it performs in the long run. 

Ummm, so you didn't like the ending...or you think GA or fans will love/hate it?

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Ummm, so you didn't like the ending...or you think GA or fans will love/hate it?

It took me time to process it in the overall story that’s being told, but yeah - it fits the themes of the movie just fine. 
I do think general audiences might go the other way on it though. 

• Like 2

If this movie ends up with a B CS and poor legs because of a divisive ending while we're still in the wake of The Flash debacle, that sure will be something!

(For the record, I'm looking forward to seeing it this weekend and hope that this movie ends the Indy story on a better note than Crystal Skull did)

On Paris + Boulevard Périphérique as of 2PM

-16% compared to Spider-Man: Across the Spider Verse

-26% compared to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

should be noted that the Cinema Festival this year takes place between July 2 and July 5 (ticket prices are discounted, 5€)

Edited by AKULA

I admit I made a mistake; I always assumed that Indy Jines was as iconic as Star wars. I was clearly wrong.

I hope it's a good movie,. But no matter what it is  probably the last Indy Jones moive we will see for a long time.

If it underperfoms, I don't see Disney being interested in trying to reboot with a new Indy.

10 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Not not really .

Just don't think the earlier ones were your cup of tea that's all.

The original  3 were a pretty great adventure films IMO.

Of the orignanl 3, two  Raiders and Laxt Crusade were great adventure films, Temple was pretty good. Not as bad as its' detractors say, but not as good as the other two.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

It's also kinda obvious that (Maverick aside) there's been turnover in what the demo that goes to the movies is and its become increasingly difficult to get the people invested in 80s/90s hits to go back into the theatre.

Thing is  Maverick was not nearly as iconic as Indians Jones.

I'm old enough to remember when 65% RT was considered good. Now unless a movie is close to 90's people say it's trash and not worth watching. Some of the best movies from before the 2000's had 60-70RT scores. Video game culture has people brainwashed.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I admit I made a mistake; I always assumed that Indy Jines was as iconic as Star wars. I was clearly wrong.

Seriously right up 'til the early 2010s or so it very nearly was. It's just Star Wars is by design a more timeless saga/ fantasy universe, while Indiana Jones is tied so directly to a single character (and a single star, at that) and takes place in real-life history. There's some inherent limits to how much material you can get from Indy (and how much of it you would actually want).

I'd also caution against the thinking that a piece of media's ability to produce successful sequels should be a serious metric to judge its impact by. The Wizard of Oz had a big flop of a sequel in the 80s (by Disney, amusingly enough) and it'd be crazy to think "well looks like Wizard of Oz just wasn't as iconic as we all thought, tsk tsk. Should've invested that money in something that speaks to kids today, you know, like Masters of the Universe..."

Just seen it. I have very mixed feelings because the film is basically (in my head) in two halves.

The first hour of the film is complete junk. It's just a series of generic shootouts and CGI car chases. If it didn't have Harrison Ford you would have no idea its meant to be an Indiana Jones film.

Then there's the second half which actually feels like an Indiana Jones adventure and is decent. They get on a boat and it literally felt like the boat took me out of the screen showing the generic action film and into the screen next door which is showing the new Indiana Jones movie.

The second half slowly gets progressively better and by the climax at just over the 2 hour mark, I finally was genuinely enjoying it and for a brief moment I felt a sense of wonder that was missing from the rest of the film and from Crystal Skull. Top marks to Harrison for that.

There are individual scenes which I enjoyed, but overall it is a bit of a slog, not helped by the straight up junk first hour. If you cut the first hour out of the film (which wouldn't affect the plot) I would consider it an enjoyable but throwaway instalment in the series.

Lastly: pretty sure anyone who didn't like Crystal Skull is going to hate this film. I think word of mouth will be very poor. The part of the film that I thought was best, I suspect will be very negatively received.

Edited by Avatree
  • Sad 1

TBH we're unlikely to get another Indiana Jones movie unless Disney decides in the 2030s or 2040s to reboot it with a new actor and director. 

I've always enjoyed the series but unlike Star Wars where there's quite a bit to play with in terms of the mythology and the expanded universe, Indiana Jones is limited to the fact it's one guy having adventures. 

• Like 3

Really enjoyed this and it’s much, much, much better than Crystal Skull (although I don’t hate Crystal Skull even though I admit it’s by far the weakest, so your mileage may vary I guess). Ford was the liveliest and most engaged he’s been in years and you can really see he enjoys playing the character here. I liked how they didn’t shy away from his age too, for all the people saying “he’s too old”, that’s kind of the point, he knows he’s getting old, but he’s fighting against it. The de-ageing mostly worked for me as well, it looked a bit odd at first, but after a few scenes it felt pretty seamless, and definitely the best example of de-ageing I’ve seen so far.

Also, as for the supposedly “divisive” third act…it didn’t bother me at all. If you can accept the mystical stuff in the previous films, you should be able to accept what happens here.

Spoiler

Plus, it’d be pretty damn lame if they spent 2 hours trying to assemble a time machine and then didn’t use it…its not that far out of the realms of possibility for this franchise when you consider the Ark of the Covenant and Holy Grail stuff.

The ending was great too, I’d be lying if I said the “where does it hurt” scene with Indy and Marion didn’t leave me a bit misty eyed.

Whether this bombs or not, I’m really glad that they made this, it ends the series in a better way than what we got in 2008.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, John Marston said:

I wonder if Shia actually helped Crystal Skull with younger audiences at the time. It was a year after his Disturbia/Transformers breakout 

Hmm, considering I would have been “younger” audiences at the time, I can definitely say CS felt far more “cool” and culturally relevant leading to release than this ever has. Never thought about it having a trending young star at the time being any factor, but maybe I guess. Though Shia got trashed to death on the internet for it.