Totem

Friday Numbers - Studio estimates - BD1, 17M TM, 12M

Right, I forgot, you let other people dictate what you like. Damn, I forgot it's better to be a sheep than it is to like what you like.

Films like Green Lantern, Thor, Bad Teacher Captain America, KFP2 and Cars2 were all horrible films. And this is just a small sample. BD2 was more competently made and a hell of a lot more entertaining than those piles of crap. It's just too bad that critics have an agenda and have to like something because they're paper is owned by a conglomerate that produced some of these films. ButI'm an independent thinker so my opinion is my own.

Lol, classic baumer.

You don't go insulting other people just because they disagree with you. It's called etiquette and manners, learn something.

Do you even know me? Do you know anything about me? No, but from my stating factual MC scores to counter your blanket statement, I'm the one who is a sheep and critics are the ones without balls and brains. You're clearly an unbiased independent thinker. Well done, chap, well done.

Your awful argument comes up again and again, why can't I apply that to Jack & Jill? Critics are brainless sheep so J&J must be good! They have an agenda against Adam Sandler! It's more competently made than all of those films on that list, in fact, all the films on the IMDB top 250. Screw them!

Stephanie Meyer, Kirsten Stewart, Robert Pattison, Taylor Lautner, Bill Condon and the rest of the Twilight cast don't give a fuck but you who has no stake in the film gets your panties in a wad anytime someone decides to point out facts and/or opinions about Twilight. Get a life. You're a moderator now as well, I'm sure they need to at least try to be the least biased people on the board.

Lol, classic baumer.

You don't go insulting other people just because they disagree with you. It's called etiquette and manners, learn something.

Do you even know me? Do you know anything about me? No, but from my stating factual MC scores to counter your blanket statement, I'm the one who is a sheep and critics are the ones without balls and brains. You're clearly an unbiased independent thinker. Well done, chap, well done.

Your awful argument comes up again and again, why can't I apply that to Jack & Jill? Critics are brainless sheep so J&J must be good! They have an agenda against Adam Sandler! It's more competently made than all of those films on that list, in fact, all the films on the IMDB top 250. Screw them!

Stephanie Meyer, Kirsten Stewart, Robert Pattison, Taylor Lautner, Bill Condon and the rest of the Twilight cast don't give a fuck but you who has no stake in the film gets your panties in a wad anytime someone decides to point out facts and/or opinions about Twilight. Get a life. You're a moderator now as well, I'm sure they need to at least try to be the least biased people on the board.

Don't expect me to change who I am because I am a moderator. That's ridiculous. If I think you are a sheep I'll tell you so. I'm not stepping outside of any boundaries or breaking any rules by telling you that I think you don't know how to think for yourself if all you go by is reviews.

My point about BD1 and critics is that just because they hate something that doesn't mean its a bad movie. It's all about opinon. The only opinion that should matter here is the fans of the series. Did they make a good movie based on what we the fans want? And imo, yes, they did. I thought it was faithful to the source material and it was what i wanted to see. Conversely, films like Cars 2 and Captain America were abominations in my eyes. They were so void of any passion that it was like watching a cardboard box on screen for two hours.

And here's the other thing, I see as many as 100 movies at the theater a year, so when i give you my opinion, it's based on what I've seen, not what i read from someone who gets paid to see movies. Big difference.

Indeed, I remember when I was a senior in high school when New Moon came out, the reviewer in the school newspaper gave it a perfect 5/5 just because it was a Twilight movie. When the DVD came out, you didn't hear a single word aboutNew Moon. Nothing. Breaking Dawn is only two parts because Harry Potter did it, it's to squeeze more money out of one more film. The day Breaking Dawn Part 2 leaves theaters I will be celebrating with delight and hoping we don't get a The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner movie to follow up the saga.

Why do people get so up in arms about this? Movie making is a business first and an art form second. Of course they did it to mke more money. And it's going to work out beautifully for them. BD1 will make about 700 WW and BD2 will probably do the same. They would have been foolish not to split it in two. If people are willing to pay to see both films, then they did the correct business decision by splitting it in two.

This is just bullshit. You are entitled to your opinion to like whatever movies you like, but when you call competently made movies trash, and somebody cites Meta-scores for said movies as a way of saying "Hey, this got solid reviews, you should probably be open to the idea that they aren't horrible films", it doesn't make them a "sheep". There is a difference between liking something and thinking it is good film-making. Movies get good reviews for reasons, it's because *gasp* maybe they're actually good movies? But no, baumer thinks people should go against the critics because it's all a big conspiracy and anybody who agrees with them on a regular basis do because they don't think for themselves, it isn't because they don't have the same fucked taste and/or grip on reality that you do. Get it through your thick skull that critics are just people like you and me (well, me) who analyze the quality of movies and share that analysis with those interested in potentially seeing them, or comparing their own analyses with those of the critics. That the millions of people who also love the movies critics love and hate the ones critics hate aren't sheep who just like things because other people like them, but because the movies critics rip tend to suck and the movies they love tend to be decent.

Right, so I should "get it through my thick skull" that your taste in movies is the one and only taste in film?I hereby decree that from now on when people go to the movies, all of you must ask Sick/Kevin if it is okay that you liked said movie. If he gives you HIS approval, then you may continue liking said film. If he doesn't, then it is best to get it through your thick skull that you are wrong and he is right and you should apologize profusely and make a donation to his favourite charity.Sick, after all, is the be all and end all of people, critics and other sentient beings.

You seemed to be implying that your opinion was the end-all, be-all when you claimed that Breaking Dawn was objectively better than the other blockbusters this year.

No, I'm claiming that my opinion is valid because I have seen it. If after you have seen it and don't like it, then your opinion is valid as well.

It's okay to totally dismiss critics and box office as useless bullshit when it comes to personal opinion. But if you don't like numbers and facts then you are SOL on a forum like this. Breaking Dawn is a lot of people's favorite film this year but when the dust settles most professional movie critics think BD was mediocre. I liked the film but if I had to give a review comparing every film I've seen this year it would fall right in the middle.

• Like 1

It's okay to totally dismiss critics and box office as useless bullshit when it comes to personal opinion. But if you don't like numbers and facts then you are SOL on a forum like this. Breaking Dawn is a lot of people's favorite film this year but when the dust settles most professional movie critics think BD was mediocre. I liked the film but if I had to give a review comparing every film I've seen this year it would fall right in the middle.

But who are critics and why do they matter? If you are making a film from material that has a fan base already, then you better be faithful to that fanbase. This is why there will always be such a disconnect between critics and fans. A critic will tell you how brilliant the cinematography is in a movie like the American, people like me will tell you it bored the shit out of me. Critics will tell you that a vampire baby that grows exponentially inside of a woman is absolutely terrible movie wise. Fans of the book, the ones paying $10 a pop, will tell you that was brilliant. Movies are never made for critics, or at least they shouldn't be.

Guest TheGrappler

already see some HP fans laughing at the fact that BD1 fell 70%, ignoring that their own film fell 72% this very year. Hypocrisy at its finest. What's the next excuse they will pull out? This "late legs" BS? lol

already see some HP fans laughing at the fact that BD1 fell 70%, ignoring that their own film fell 72% this very year. Hypocrisy at its finest. What's the next excuse they will pull out? This "late legs" BS? lol

Difference between winter and summer!

But BD1 wasn't a good film. When only a third of the film is good and the rest unimaginably dull, then you know you have a problem.

And that;s your opinion and you are entitled to it. I respect your opinion of the movie because you actually saw it. It's people that judge something without seeing that I have issues with.

+1

Critics and fans will never share the same ground, obviously. Fans are fans and all they ask for is that the film uses the source material in a way that pleases them. The critics are for the most part not fans and would look at a film from a filmmaking stance. It's the same thing with every moviegoing audience. One stance doesn't (and shouldn't) devaluate the other.

• Like 1

Excuse me? 70% vs 72% is such a big deal for a film that finished 381 M. :P

Who's laughing? I'm pretty sure a large drop was expected for BD1 as it was for DH2. That's typically what happens when you have a huge opening. Not to mention, both Harry Potter and Twilight fans are rabid and will see the films as soon as possible which is why both franchises are so frontloaded. They both pull in a whole lot of cash though.