Totem

Friday Numbers - Studio estimates - BD1, 17M TM, 12M

...and its certainly not 'better'. Its a horrible movie on every level in a way even Eclipse didnt manage.

It all depends what you're looking for, they tried to entice male fans into Eclipse with the promise of more action and lost the heart of the movie. Breaking Dawn finally returns to the foundation of the saga...Edward and Bella.

It all depends what you're looking for, they tried to entice male fans into Eclipse with the promise of more action and lost the heart of the movie. Breaking Dawn finally returns to the foundation of the saga...Edward and Bella.

That`s why non-fans avoid this like a plague. Eclipse pulled through $300 mio thnaks to non-fans checking it out for action. Edited by fishnets

I enjoyed Breaking Dawn, but Eclipse was the superior movie in every respect. It deserves to be the highest grossing film in the series.And at at least David Slade could film an action scene, unlike Bill Condon, who made everything so dark, blurred and confusing that it was nearly impossible to figure out what was going on. And that does not bode well for the next installment.

I enjoyed Eclipse more than BD1 personally. I'm not huge into the romance aspect of Edward and Bella though so that could be why. It will be interesting to see what BD2 does though because it will be closer to Eclipse I think. I can see them adding a bunch of action to get the interest of non fans.

Eclipse is easily the best in the franchise. I went with three friends to BD1 and we all thought it was the worst in the series. Fishnets, I don't know what the hell you were smoking by thinking this would do 380m because of the sex scene and wedding? It never made any sense.

Edited by Noctis

I enjoyed Eclipse more than BD1 personally. I'm not huge into the romance aspect of Edward and Bella though so that could be why. It will be interesting to see what BD2 does though because it will be closer to Eclipse I think. I can see them adding a bunch of action to get the interest of non fans.

:lol: I think I'm just a hopeless romantic, my poor boyfriend stresses too much about birthdays and anniversaries because I set the bar too high.

Official studio estimates: BD1: 17 mill Muppets 12"@ERCboxoffice: FRIDAY RESULTS: #1 BREAKING DAWN - $17 mil, #2 MUPPETS - $12 mil, #3 HAPPY FEET TWO - $5 mil, #4 ARTHUR XMAS & HUGO - $4.5 mil"

Hugo is, for all practical intents and purposes, in wide release, right? So how is a $15m OW - on Thanksgiving! - good? Isn't the budget well past $100m? Unless it gets Polar Express-style WoM and Holiday boon, recouping even half its budget in the US is basically impossible. What am I missing?

BD1 corrects itself from Wednesday, 16.9m will get it to 40.5m for the 3-day, down 71%. Muppets will do 30m for the 3-day and break its budget in five days. Happy Feet 2 will make 12m, down 43%, continuing its terrible domestic run. Hugo is doing as well as Arthur Christmas in a third of its theater count. Descendants is well outperforming Up in the Air and is on its way to 100m+.

Hugo is, for all practical intents and purposes, in wide release, right? So how is a $15m OW - on Thanksgiving! - good? Isn't the budget well past $100m? Unless it gets Polar Express-style WoM and Holiday boon, recouping even half its budget in the US is basically impossible. What am I missing?

Like I just said, it's in a third of the theaters AC and Muppets are in. It has recovered a lot from Wednesday, indicating that word of mouth is strong. And on the 9th its supposed to double its theater count. That doesn't mean it'll be recouping that budget anytime soon, but with Polar Express legs or better, it'll make a valiant effort.

• Founder / Operator

Solid numbers for Twilight and Muppets, even if the latter wasn't quite was I hoping for the weekend. Still, relative to recent years, this weekend is overall a bit disappointing.

Like I said a few days ago though, don't write off Hugo yet.

You're right it isn't Eclipse, it's much better than Eclipse, and it will be a shame if it doesn't make more money than the clusterfuck that was New Moon. I only watched that once and still won't buy the DVD.

That isn't an opinion that many people hold, and I hope you're not using it as evidence that it'll do 300.

Hugo is, for all practical intents and purposes, in wide release, right? So how is a $15m OW - on Thanksgiving! - good? Isn't the budget well past $100m? Unless it gets Polar Express-style WoM and Holiday boon, recouping even half its budget in the US is basically impossible.What am I missing?

it's in a third of the theaters the others are in, and had a strong increase after a weak start.

That isn't an opinion that many people hold, and I hope you're not using it as evidence that it'll do 300.

Why is there an obsession with it making 300? Fourth movies usually lose business and they certianly don't increase from the last one. A 8% drop is likely and if it makes more than 280, that would be quite good.