3. We're the Millers: $24 million

4. Percy Jackson 2: $20.5 million

5. 2 Guns: $13 million

6. The Wolverine: $10.5 million

7. The Smurfs 2: $9 million

8. The Conjuring: $8 million

9. Despicable Me 2: $6 million

10. Grown Ups 2: $5 million 

Not a bad weekend at the box office except Planes has a good chance of winning the weekend  :huh:

And Oblivion did 1.1M md and 38M wkn.

So no need to panic for now.

Oblivion was the first Sci-Fi of the year and it opened alone in a weekend. There was only 42 that scored over 10M that weekend. In this case, there will be 4 or 5 (depending on Wolverine's hold) movies that will cross 10M. People also have seen enough Sci-Fi this year and they might've had enough. The midnights are also bigger because it's Summer, while Oblivion opened mid April.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

I don't get the doom and gloom for Elysium.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes got 1.2 m  from midnight but 54 m OW.

Franchise movie, though. Plus Elysium opened at 10pm and had IMAX.

I'm not ruling out a surge of walk-up business tonight, but it's a very ho-hum Thursday number.

Also, AE only did $1M MD.

Elysium cant do less OW than that one.

Yeah, I think that's true, although After Earth had Will Smith and bad reviews. This has Matt Damon (who isn't that much of a box office draw) and middling reviews. The only thing that might save Elysium is the director's name, but that won't do too much in such a weekend like this. But yeah, I think it should open a bit above After Earth.

Oblivion was the first Sci-Fi of the year and it opened alone in a weekend. There was only 42 that scored over 10M that weekend. In this case, there will be 4 or 5 (depending on Wolverine's hold) movies that will cross 10M. People also have seen enough Sci-Fi this year and they might've had enough. The midnights are also bigger because it's Summer, while Oblivion opened mid April.

So you mean ?

So you mean ?

So I'm saying that you shouldn't expect it to take similar course to Oblivion. Oblivion had disadvantage in midnights and that's why it scored so low. This had the advantage of midnights and scored that low. (And by advantage I mean April (Oblivion) and Summer (Elysium) release). I don't think we should expect that much after such a low midnight. 30M is really tops right now, maybe 32-33... I expect 28 or less.

Let's hope the GA likes it. I personally don't see any problems with 'politics' in movies.

I don't see a problem with it, movies are a medium to express a variety of things.

I personally just won't be spending money on a film whose message, as indicated by the trailers, is that somehow the "evil rich 1%" are to blame for ALL the woes of the planet.  :rolleyes:

• Like 4

That's a good drop for WTM, in line with Tropic Thunder after a similar OD. TT ended with 110m. That's a good target for it.

Tropic Thunder had actors that were known to be good comedians and were, and still are, good box office draws. Then, there are the reviews and the Oscar performance by RDJ and that's it. We're the Miller's has neither of them, so I think it does so well only early, until Word of Mouth really spreads. After that, dropping like a rock.

anybody who thinks We're The Millers will have bad word of mouth isn't very smart:

Twitter Index Updated: Fri Aug 09 at 05:07AM PST

Film # Tweets Pos:Neg Ratio
1 We're the Millers 7,667 24:1
2 Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters 5,060 7:1
3 Elysium 3,359 6:1
4 Chennai Express 2,719 6:1
5 Thor: The Dark World 2,613 25:1
6 Paranoia 2,552 151:1
7 Jobs 2,060 3:1
8 How to Train Your Dragon 2 2,048 0:1

• Like 1