Shawn Robbins

Thursday #s: MILLERS ($4.707m est)

Rather than politics, I'd be inclined to chalk an under-performing Elysium weekend more to audiences being sci-fi action'd out by this point in the season.

This. I love sci fi, but it's starting to become a bit much. I've had several friends comment that they are sick of these " space movies." Nobody isn't going to see it because of the politics except uber conservatives.

This. I love sci fi, but it's starting to become a bit much. I've had several friends comment that they are sick of these " space movies." Nobody isn't going to see it because of the politics except uber conservatives.

don't be so sure. It is  not just the movie is political, it is the fact the movie is supposedly very heavy handed and trying to shove the message down your throat

• Like 2

don't be so sure. It is  not just the movie is political, it is the fact the movie is supposedly very heavy handed and trying to shove the message down your throat

But how would anybody know this until they actually saw the movie?

• Like 6

This. My friends too comment that some sci-fi trailers these days make the movies look more or less the same: space/outta planets vs. Earth, lone hero or heroes doing weird shit heroic stuff, traveling by strange-looking ship/transportation devices. Their words, not mine :lol:
  • Like 1

Rather than politics, I'd be inclined to chalk an under-performing Elysium weekend more to audiences being sci-fi action'd out by this point in the season.

That would make sense if not for the fact that every single original sci-fi movies this year has done lousy business at the North American box office.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

I don't see a problem with it, movies are a medium to express a variety of things.

I personally just won't be spending money on a film whose message, as indicated by the trailers, is that somehow the "evil rich 1%" are to blame for ALL the woes of the planet.  :rolleyes:

What is to blame is not the richs but the rules. You missed the point.

What is to blame is not the richs but the rules. You missed the point.

"The People" miss the point, hence staging sit-ins at Wall Street when they should be sitting in on the Senate steps, you know, where the rules are made. If this movie clarifies that in the story then so be it but it's not there to be seen in the trailers. It's clearly pandering to the simply minded among us that "the rich" are to blame for your problem. Not you, not the rules or the elected rule makers...but the rich themselves. 

"The People" miss the point, hence staging sit-ins at Wall Street when they should be sitting in on the Senate steps, you know, where the rules are made. If this movie clarifies that in the story then so be it but it's not there to be seen in the trailers. It's clearly pandering to the simply minded among us that "the rich" are to blame for your problem. Not you, not the rules or the elected rule makers...but the rich themselves. 

I didn't get that from the trailers. What I got was that the rich has something that the poor have no access to and the "poor" will try to find a way to get that access. I don't see any blame.

Do you think things like the Monsanto Protection Act get passed without corporate influence?The government is corrupt because of money. That money comes from Wall Street.Wall Street was the appropriate place to stage protest. Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1

I didn't get that from the trailers. What I got was that the rich has something that the poor have no access to and the "poor" will try to find a way to get that access. I don't see any blame.

Some are saying the movie advocates universal healthcare more than anything which I think is fair game for any sci-fi movie.
  • Like 3