A Marvel Fanboy

Dredd (September 21, 2012)

just got back from a midnight showing on the westcoast and was pretty f'ing cool. Agreed^^^ a lot of fun. Urban is a badass and the girl - olivia thirlby- ended up being pretty badass too, thought she did a good job. Hope this movie can make enough for a sequel-it deserves to. I'd love to see more stories in the future they created for this movie...the crazy huge living buildings are pretty nuts along with just the griminess of the mega city. Also, Dredds gun is awesome!

• Like 1

SO MUCH FUN!!!!It is so refreshing to see a movie so gloriously violent.

just got back from a midnight showing on the westcoast and was pretty f'ing cool. Agreed^^^ a lot of fun. Urban is a badass and the girl - olivia thirlby- ended up being pretty badass too, thought she did a good job. Hope this movie can make enough for a sequel-it deserves to. I'd love to see more stories in the future they created for this movie...the crazy huge living buildings are pretty nuts along with just the griminess of the mega city. Also, Dredds gun is awesome!

Nice. Planning on seeing it Saturday. How full was the theater?

Nice. Planning on seeing it Saturday. How full was the theater?

There was only about 8 others at my midnight...but the theatre i go to for midnights isn't a good barometer for box office. Usually, midnights are slow, even for bigger movies that attract more viewers.

There was only about 8 others at my midnight...but the theatre i go to for midnights isn't a good barometer for box office. Usually, midnights are slow, even for bigger movies that attract more viewers.

Yeah I know. But wanted to see how it went. Did you talk to anyone else? Any general reaction?

Dredd, how I love thee, let me count the ways:1. I love that the film resembles its protagonist. Lean and mean with nary ounce of fat or hint of sentimentality anywhere.2. I love Urban's portrayal of Dredd, all chin and growls and grimaces, but with a sense of something deeper underneath (which is alluded to in the film). And when the occasional deadpan response rolls around, you can't help but chuckle. Basically, he succeeds where Christian Bale failed.3. I love the character of Cassie Anderson. She's a fierce little asskicker who uses her abilities to maximum effect.4. I love Lena Headey's creepy, sadistic villain. With the scars and green teeth and running eyeliner and hair sticking every which way, there's something utterly hypnotic about her.5. I love the slow motion, with beads of water and broken glass suspended in the air like little diamonds, and fountains of blood jetting around like Hi-C fruit punch squeezed from a juice box.6. I love the art house violence. Brutal killings magnificently shot. I've never seen anything quite like it.7. I love the pounding score, which compliments the developments very well.8. I love the ending. I've heard some complaints, but I think it's perfect. In fact, the way in which Dredd handles events gives you the distinct impression this is just another day on job for him. Shoot lots of perps, train the occasional rookie, repeat. Awesome.9. Finally, I love the fact that this completes the greatest action trilogy of all time, namely the Cop Trapped in a Building With Lots of Bad Guys Trilogy, which of course includes Die Hard and The Raid.