Fake

Indian Box Office Thread | Jawan overtakes Pathaan, becomes highest grossing Indian movie of 2023

Finally done with the wedding and all the associated ceremonies, most likely going to watch Bajirao Mastani tomorrow with family. I have to say that Dilwale is a major missed opportunity by Rohit Shetty and team, the movie will still end up collecting over 300Cr WW but it had major potential, the movie needed better editing and excising of a few subplots. Every single scene required for a good movie is present, it is just shown in such a haphazard manner that it ends up confusing you and leaving you wondering why half the scenes are even present. A better editor could have made this a way more palatable product than it ended up being, they also should have cut out the strange comedy in the second half with Johnny Lever, or made the villain stronger and meaner.

• Like 1

Bajirao up from last Friday here in the US.  Last week's IM would take it to 2.35M for the weekend and over 5M total with another holiday week and weekend to go and clearly excellent WOM.  If I'm following DHD correctly, it did nearly 2M in dailies this past week.  So another strong week and then >1M weekend next week could have it sitting at nearly $8M in the US by Jan. 3rd.  Impressive indeed.

Dilwale also holding solid (expected with the holidays) with what is probably a 1.4-1.5M weekend.  Did about 1M during the weekdays so another .8-1.0M this week and .7-1.0M weekend and its at 5.5-6.5M by Jan. 3rd.  

Maybe I'm going a bit bullish here, but if I'm right, we'd have a combined 13.5-14.5M by the end of next weekend.  

2 hours ago, Fake said:

TFA OW: $2.1M

Slightly underwhelming compared to the results around the world.

It was never going to be as big as the more established franchises in India anyway. Releasing at the same time as highly anticipated hindi as well as regional movies hurt as well.

25 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Sucks. My theatre was pretty packed on Friday. But today there were only 15 people. Both times the folks in theatre enjoyed the movie. But yeah I don't think this will develop any legs in India. 

It actually dropped every single day of the weekend. Way too frontloaded

The epic space Hollywood flick ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens‘ which released during this Christmas in India has performed decently well at domestic box office. The film earned 1 crore on Thursday, 3.58 crore on Friday. 2.75 crore on Saturday and 2.67 crore on Sunday.

Wow....I wasn't wrong then when I said a week or two before release that the hype and buzz is missing and it simply isn't popular in India.

Shame it hasn't taken off in India. People are missing the best blockbuster film of this year with great action, vfx, beautiful 3d and cinematography, decent storyline and great performances to boot. 

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1

BOI -  Business Down In 2015 - Footfalls Decreasing Fast

The cumalative business in 2015 for Hindi films fell gain from last year with nett gross of 2650 crore compared to the 2740 crore of last year. A drop of 3.28%. The actual drop is a little lower as its gross business which gives a real picture as entertainment tax structures change sometimes. In 2015 there was a major change in Entertainment tax in the second half of 2015 as the tax in Delhi city doubled. The drop on gross figures is 2.75% apprx.

There was a similar drop in 2013 and in real terms its stagnant business rather than free fall but the big problem is that footfalls are in free fall at the moment. The footfalls were 34.41 crore in 2013, then 31.10 crore in 2014 and this year is set to finish around 28.50 crore.

The footfalls are even lower than 2012 and with costs going up considerably you can't have dropping footfalls. The drop in footfalls is despite Bajrangi Bhaijaan having highest footfalls since 2001. Both PK and Bajrangi Bhaijaan have managed 3.5 crore footfalls and these sort of numbers have never been since 2001. It basically means the audience is growing but for the right films and obviously the right films are not being made as its odd that the biggest films are going past the previous records but cumulative is falling well short. The growth should be all round.

There has been a 17% drop in footfalls in two years and this has to reverse for the industry to even get near to being in good shape. The growth that comes from ticket prices is external and when footfalls grow with this external growth it means a good year for the industry. Also ticket price rises can give just limited growth and even that is stagnating a little as they can't keep going up 10-12% a year and this year saw just 5% growth in ticket rates.

The demographics of the box office have a changed considerably over the last 18 months and that is where the problem is as most films releasing are catering to a sector which has seen no growth but eventually this should change, if not this year then in years to come.

285M tickets sold from Hindi industry.  Anyone know of any estimates for the regional industries?  Nationwide ticket sales I'd wager were still >2B (Forbes estimated 2.6B back in 2012).

Edited by spizzer

After watching two horrible hindi movies in Dilwale and Bajirao (to a lesser extent), I was not eager to watch any Indian movie for a while.

Anyway, watched Killing Veerappan (Kannada) at Inox Garuda, Magrath Road at 7:05 PM, Jan 6, 2016.

One word to describe it, Phenomenal. 

Shiva Rajkumar and Ram Gopal Verma (RGV) cannot be appreciated enough for this masterpiece. What a kickass movie. The acting, cinematography, pacing, score and direction are top-notch. Loved the performances by supporting actors. The score keeps on repeating in my head.

Rakashahana Kollalu Rakshahne agabeku. (To kill a demon, you have to become one).

Rating: A+ or 10/10

Edited by jb007

2 minutes ago, jb007 said:

After watching two horrible hindi movies in Dilwale and Bajirao (to a lesser extent), I was not eager to watch any Indian movie for a while.

Anyway, watched Killing Veerappan (Kannada) at Inox Garuda, Magrath Road at 7:05 PM, Jan 6, 2016.

One word to describe it, Phenomenal. 

Shiva Rajkumar and Ram Gopal Verma (RGV) cannot be appreciated enough for this masterpiece. What a kickass movie. The acting, cinematography, pacing, score and direction are top-notch. Loved the performances by supporting actors. The score keeps on repeating in my head.

Rakashahana Kollalu Rakshahne agabeku. (To kill a demon, you have to become one).

Rating: A+ or 10/10

Wait... RGV made a good movie? I was planning on watching it on my last day in India this visit but decided on Rangitaranga instead as it is more steeped in Mangalore and DK culture and my dad wanted to watch it.

The posters for Killing Veerappan made me laugh everytime though, Shivrajkumar looks so funny with the coffee cup to his eye.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Wait... RGV made a good movie? I was planning on watching it on my last day in India this visit but decided on Rangitaranga instead as it is more steeped in Mangalore and DK culture and my dad wanted to watch it.

The posters for Killing Veerappan made me laugh everytime though, Shivrajkumar looks so funny with the coffee cup to his eye.

That has become immensely popular. People are posting selfies imitating that scene all over.

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Yup, saw it on Facebook. The trailer of the movie has him doing even more weird poses.

Shivarajkumar's performance in the movie is fantastic. RGV has made a phenomenal comeback after several disastrous outings.

Just now, jb007 said:

Shivarajkumar's performance in the movie is fantastic. RGV has made a phenomenal comeback after several disastrous outings.

I actually bought RGV's autobiography. While it isn't exactly an autobiography and is instead more of a "And then this happened..." kind of book, it is very very entertaining. Well worth a read for his frankness.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I actually bought RGV's autobiography. While it isn't exactly an autobiography and is instead more of a "And then this happened..." kind of book, it is very very entertaining. Well worth a read for his frankness.

RGV is frank and opiniated. That has sometimes landed him in trouble.