Fake

Indian Box Office Thread | Jawan overtakes Pathaan, becomes highest grossing Indian movie of 2023

43 minutes ago, Ash said:

I said reception will be a good factor for Civil war. If we talk about reception DKT has higher reception than any other marvel movies here its a whole another level. 
"If anything, I feel certain Civil War will have much better reception than BvS."
We'll see. 

You know as well as I do of the difference betweem DKT and DCU. That was Nolan. This has all different, and inferior, minds behind it. Whereas Civil War has the same essential creative team and Studio behind it as the previous well received marvel movies. 

Edited by Infernus

43 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Is it just me or there isn't as much buzz or excitement for Star Wars in India?

The last star wars film didn't do all that well. Many inferior Hollywood films that released in 2005 beat it in India.

Yeah there isn't. Its not at all a big thing here. Its not even a well-known thing. There's not a single person I have ever met here who has seen any part of Star Wars or knows what a big deal it is supposed to be, no buddy and no cousin, atleast not before I myself tell them. Combine that with it releasing just a week after two super-hyped films and you got a film no one cares about.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Infernus said:

Yeah there isn't. Its not at all a big thing here. Its not even a well-known thing. There's not a single person I have ever met here who has seen any part of Star Wars or knows what a big deal it is supposed to be, no buddy and no cousin, atleast not before I myself tell them. Combine that with it releasing just a week after two super-hyped films and you got a film no one cares about.

Very true. Many of the big franchises of 1980s never connected with the Indian audience, primarily because they never released in Indian cinema. Star wars didn't hit Indian theatres until the re-release in 1996/97. There was some hype /merchandise (lays promoted it hevaily) then but it didn't connect with majority of the audience. Only appealed to hardcore sci-fi/fantasy/urban crowd folks.

Even lotr franchise never got the kind of fandom/boxoffice as it should have. Consistently was beaten by HP and other much smaller movies.

Edited by marveldcfox

10 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Very true. Many of the big franchises of 1980s never connected with the Indian audience, primarily because they never released in Indian cinema. Star wars didn't hit Indian theatres until the re-release in 1996/97. There was some hype /merchandise (lays promoted it hevaily) then but it didn't connect with majority of the audience. Only appealed to hardcore sci-fi/fantasy/urban crowd folks.

Even lotr franchise never got the kind of fandom/boxoffice as it should have. Consistently was beaten by HP and other much smaller movies.

Excuse me but do u think HP films are smaller (refering to box office). The firs HP was one of the higgest grossing OS films of all time (even today it rank very high in a lot of countries in admissions), so i accept that Star Wars is not popular in India but HP are not a small film at all.

5 minutes ago, seduh said:

Excuse me but do u think HP films are smaller (refering to box office). The firs HP was one of the higgest grossing OS films of all time (even today it rank very high in a lot of countries in admissions), so i accept that Star Wars is not popular in India but HP are not a small film at all.

Huh? I clearly said the opposite. What I meant was that the first 3-4 HP movies consistently outgrossed LOTR movies in India even though LOTR was bigger than first few HP movies at worldwide boxoffice.

Just saying that LOTR like Star Wars never caught on with majority of the Indian movie going public.

On 12/13/2015, 5:00:52, marveldcfox said:

False.

Star Wars was released in India in 1979. It had a blockbuster 55 week run in Bombay. It had a 20 week run at Galaxy theater in Bangalore. I watched it in Lido theater in Mysore where it had a 4 week run. It did very well in the metros and A centers. 

Empire Strikes Back was released in India in 1982. It had a 25 week run at Bombay and 10 week run at Bangalore. Again, I watched it in Lido Theater in Mysore. 

Return of the Jedi was about to be released in 1985 in India. but was never released theatrically in India due to the trade dispute. I even had purchased tickets for ROTJ at Symphony theater in Bangalore. But the movie was cancelled.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jb007 said:

False.

Star Wars was released in India in 1979. It had a blockbuster 55 week run in Bombay. It had a 20 week run at Galaxy theater in Bangalore. I watched it in Lido theater in Mysore where it had a 4 week run. It did very well in the metros and A centers. 

Empire Strikes Back was released in India in 1982. It had a 25 week run at Bombay and 10 week run at Bangalore. Again, I watched it in Lido Theater in Mysore. 

Return of the Jedi was about to be released in 1985 in India. but was never released theatrically in India due to the trade dispute. I even had purchased tickets for ROTJ at Symphony theater in Bangalore. But the movie was cancelled.

Wow didn't know that. Doesn't matter though. The franchise isn't as popular in India as other big franchises. Revenge of sith grossed under 1 million. 

Btw you are one old man. :D

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

Wow didn't know that. Doesn't matter though. The franchise isn't as popular in India as other big franchises. Revenge of sith grossed under 1 million. 

Btw you are one old man. :D

I turned 50 this year. ;)

It is also not correct that some franchises were not big in the 80s in India. Anyway, a lot of hollywood movies were mega blockbusters in the 70s and 80s.

Raiders had a 37 week run at Plaza theater in Bangalore and 60 week run at Bombay (1983)

Bond movies were huge hits. Spy who loved was 38 weeks at Lido, Bangalore (1980), Moonraker 20 weeks (1981) and For Your Eyes Only 27 weeks (1982) at the same theater.

Even though Grease 2 was a failure in the US, it was a blockbuster in India. 31 weeks at Plaza in Bangalore.

Abba The Movie had a 40 week run at Blue Diamond theater in Bangalore.

Tarzan the Apeman (:P I may have also contributed some serious dough for this) also had a 25 week run at Bluemoon theater in 1982 along with Jungle Book which had a 27 week run at Rex in 1982.

Between 1976 and 78, only 3 movies played at Galaxy theater in Bangalore. Poseidon Adventure (26 weeks), Enter The Dragon (54 weeks) and The Exorcist (26 Weeks).  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jb007 said:

I turned 50 this year. ;)

It is also not correct that some franchises were not big in the 80s in India. Anyway, a lot of hollywood movies were mega blockbusters in the 70s and 80s.

Raiders had a 37 week run at Plaza theater in Bangalore and 60 week run at Bombay (1983)

Bond movies were huge hits. Spy who loved was 38 weeks at Lido, Bangalore (1980), Moonraker 20 weeks (1981) and For Your Eyes Only 27 weeks (1982) at the same theater.

Even though Grease 2 was a failure in the US, it was a blockbuster in India. 31 weeks at Plaza in Bangalore.

Abba The Movie had a 40 week run at Blue Diamond theater in Bangalore.

Tarzan the Apeman (:P I may have also contributed some serious dough for this) also had a 25 week run at Bluemoon theater in 1982 along with Jungle Book which had a 27 week run at Rex in 1982.

Between 1976 and 78, only 3 movies played at Galaxy theater in Bangalore. Poseidon Adventure (26 weeks), Enter The Dragon (54 weeks) and The Exorcist (26 Weeks).  

Jaw drops...do you work in Bollywood or have a boxoffice site?

3 hours ago, jb007 said:

False.

Return of the Jedi was about to be released in 1985 in India. but was never released theatrically in India due to the trade dispute. I even had purchased tickets for ROTJ at

Symphony theater in Bangalore. But the movie was cancelled.

Yup. My dad saw star wars (1977) in a theatre in Nagpur (central Maharashtra). And he was hooked....his love for it is what got me into the franchise as he introduced it to me in the early 00's. He said all the guys in his year at school/college then got into it massively

But he then said he never knew ep 5/6 released, they never came to Nagpur apparently so he only caught up with them when he moved to the UK.

So it is a big shame that star wars' potential was squandered...had 5 & 6 gotten big releases & promotion the franchise would be big in India today. Clearly marketing & public awareness was allowed to slide by.

Anyway I am gonna add money to dilwale & bajirao in the UK, seeing Star Wars Wednesday at midnight, Dilwale on Saturday, Bajirao on sunday and Star Wars at imax on Monday haha.

SRK-Kajol are my fav pair, some of my fav Bollywood films have them in it so I'm hyped. And sanjay leela bhansali is one of my fav directors to Bajirao has me hyped (plus the movie is bout my ancestors!).

Just a big shame Dilwale can't have the weekend to itself and then Bajirao could've had a mid January weekend to itself! I mean a similar clash happened with Saawariya & Om Shanti Om & it didn't end well for Saawariya anywhere in the world!

Edited by darthdevidem01
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, darthdevidem01 said:

Yup. My dad saw star wars (1977) in a theatre in Nagpur (central Maharashtra). And he was hooked....his love for it is what got me into the franchise as he introduced it to me in the early 00's. He said all the guys in his year at school/college then got into it massively

But he then said he never knew ep 5/6 released, they never came to Nagpur apparently so he only caught up with them when he moved to the UK.

So it is a big shame that star wars' potential was squandered...had 5 & 6 gotten big releases & promotion the franchise would be big in India today. Clearly marketing & public awareness was allowed to slide by.

Anyway I am gonna add money to dilwale & bajirao in the UK, seeing Star Wars Wednesday at midnight, Dilwale on Saturday, Bajirao on sunday and Star Wars at imax on Monday haha.

SRK-Kajol are my fav pair, some of my fav Bollywood films have them in it so I'm hyped. And sanjay leela bhansali is one of my fav directors to Bajirao has me hyped (plus the movie is bout my ancestors!).

Just a big shame Dilwale can't have the weekend to itself and then Bajirao could've had a mid January weekend to itself! I mean a similar clash happened with Saawariya & Om Shanti Om & it didn't end well for Saawariya anywhere in the world!

Good to know you and you father are fans and you watching all three,let us know how the movies are.
Star wars releasing on 25th here. I'm watching Dilwale on 19th bajirao maybe on sunday but not sure. 

4 minutes ago, Ash Skywalker said:

Good to know you and you father are fans and you watching all three,let us know how the movies are.
Star wars releasing on 25th here. I'm watching Dilwale on 19th bajirao maybe on sunday but not sure.

Awesome!

Tracking all 3 movies indian grosses will be interesting!

I wonder if Star Wars is getting a monopoly on the Mumbai imax screen when it is out. I remember I was on holiday in Mumbai when TDKR came out and it was sold out for the weekend or something (and seeing it there was awesome, the crowd was so hyped!)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Jaw drops...do you work in Bollywood or have a boxoffice site?

I have been a box office fan since the 70s. I followed up with the box office of Kannada, Hindi and Hollywood movies from the mid 70s to late 80s. Then I moved to the US and continued to follow box office and primarily hollywood movies only. I moved back to India after 20 years in the US. 

I have had long term association with the Kannada movie Industry. Have produced two Kannada movies with my brothers and friends. The first one Andar Bahar (2013) was a failure and sold the second one, Bahaddur (2014) halfway thru' production and that turned out to be a blockbuster, though we did not benefit financially from its success.

20 minutes ago, darthdevidem01 said:

Nice. :)

Your dad may even know about Star Wars phenomenal performance in Bombay since he is from Maharastra.

14 minutes ago, darthdevidem01 said:

Awesome!

Tracking all 3 movies indian grosses will be interesting!

I wonder if Star Wars is getting a monopoly on the Mumbai imax screen when it is out. I remember I was on holiday in Mumbai when TDKR came out and it was sold out for the weekend or something (and seeing it there was awesome, the crowd was so hyped!)

I will be posting the numbers here it'll be interesting. 
It will be played i hope.In hyderabad, Prasads IMAX  had enormous hype and sales,not only weekends even weekdays are sold out too. Batman V superman gonna be huge here.