Fake

Indian Box Office Thread | Jawan overtakes Pathaan, becomes highest grossing Indian movie of 2023

Rajeev Masand (India's most watched critic) has badly panned Avengers 2 in his review. That was... unexpected. He is a major MCU fan: http://www.rajeevmasand.com/reviews/their-films/all-sound-and-fury-2/

What the hell are you talking about? He gave it 3 out of 5 stars. That's actually a positive review. And its not like he is a generous reviewer - just a few days back he gave Mr. X 1 star. He also said that a reason for not liking was the too-high expectations due to the first film and that if we go with slighly lesser expectations, we'll quite enjoy ourselves. That was anything but a "badly panning" review.

• Like 2

What the hell are you talking about? He gave it 3 out of 5 stars. That's actually a positive review. And its not like he is a generous reviewer - just a few days back he gave Mr. X 1 star. He also said that a reason for not liking was the too-high expectations due to the first film and that if we go with slighly lesser expectations, we'll quite enjoy ourselves. That was anything but a "badly panning" review.

Some people are just pessimists.

Was looking at upcoming releases and May looks stacked with a big movie every weekend after the first 4 months had literally nothing. Gabbar is Back, Piku, Bombay Velvet, Welcome to Karachi, Tanu Weds Manu Returns, Welcome Back and Dil Dhadakne Do release one after the other.

Weirdly enough, I have seen absolutely no promotion for Welcome Back yet. Apparently they spent a lot of money in making the movie, are they just going to release it without even a trailer? Just a month to go, and nothing from the movie yet.

Of the trailers released in the past week and a half, I would rate Tanu Weds Manu Returns and Dil Dhadakne Do as the best of the bunch. Welcome to Karachi looks hilarious and will definitely do well in the interiors and single screens, Piku will only do well in multiplexes. I fear for Bombay Velvet though, it looks way too niche to break out in any meaningful manner. Anurag Kashyap has fans, but this movie will run completely on Ranbir Kapoor's starpower.

I don't remember the last time when two Hollywood blockbusters (with such a big fan base in India) were released so close to each other.Still teenagers (especially High school students) are excited for another blockbuster after FF7, IMO 15 million $ is a lock (even if it underperforms), 16.5 million is likely, 17 million is possible but you never know what to expect from Indian Box Office.

Edited by Meitantei

Very good opening....... though not at the record levels i was hoping for a few weeks back. The relatively limited release took the records out of question.

OD is around 15 crore (gross) and OW will be around 50 crore ($8m). It will fly past 100 crore.

Avengers finished with 71 crore.

Very good opening....... though not at the record levels i was hoping for a few weeks back. The relatively limited release took the records out of question.

OD is around 15 crore (gross) and OW will be around 50 crore ($8m). It will fly past 100 crore.

Avengers finished with 71 crore.

I think Furious 7 breaking out in such a big way hurt AoU somewhat. Will be interesting to see how many screens it will keep against the heavy May competition. It will benefit from being the only 3D option in the market for sure.

how do you folks estimate "gross" from "net". Earlier article said 93 cr net/120cr gross. That translates to about 20% difference. There is no consistent number here. I think its better to go with studio estimates.

Anyway I doubt it will have great legs in india. Probably finish around $15m.

how do you folks estimate "gross" from "net". Earlier article said 93 cr net/120cr gross. That translates to about 20% difference. There is no consistent number here. I think its better to go with studio estimates.

Anyway I doubt it will have great legs in india. Probably finish around $15m.

Studios generally use gross = 1.4xnett .... while boxofficeindia uses gross = 1.3xnett.

BTW just now there was a huge earthquake in Nepal and Northern India with intensity of 7.5. Hundreds are confirmed dead so far.... while the casualties could very well run into thousands. Nepal is the worst affected. :(

How can there be 2 formulas. I wish rentrak start reporting numbers in india.

Actually different states have different tax rates.... some states have 20%, some have 30% and some even have 60% and so on. Therefore, for each film overall tax rate is different depending on which parts of the country fare better. Since it is variable, there is lack of transparency and sometimes (or rather most of the times), some fudging happens.