Fake

Indian Box Office Thread | Jawan overtakes Pathaan, becomes highest grossing Indian movie of 2023

With JW locked to pass the 100 crore mark here in India, we have 3 Hollywood Movies doing before even half the year's over. For comparison, before this year we only had a single hollywood movie crossing this mark (Avatar in 2009)! This is a clear indication that the Indian Market has finally started to open to hollwood movies and the youth audience has become a lot more receptive to it than before. Maybe slowly the market will be divided 50:50 between bollywood and Hollywood, which in my opinion would be a very good thing since most bollywood mpvies these days suck and also because 90% of Indians are very ignorant of the world outside and maybe this will help increase awareness...

Maybe slowly the market will be divided 50:50 between bollywood and Hollywood, which in my opinion would be a very good thing since most bollywood mpvies these days suck and also because 90% of Indians are very ignorant of the world outside and maybe this will help increase awareness...

Because Hollywood is so representative of the world outside...

Because Hollywood is so representative of the world outside...

No, of course, it isn't. But still it can easily put forward quite some major traits of western (and if, hopefully, eastern films get popular here too, then eastern) culture. And anyways something's better than nothing and this may help in atleast kickstarting increased awareness.

Also, english is considered so important here but people only know formal english (that too mostly incorrectly) so this will also help in increasing exposure to the spoken english actually used among people of english-speaking countries.

Edited by Infernus

No, of course, it isn't. But still it can easily put forward quite some major traits of western (and if, hopefully, eastern films get popular here too, then eastern) culture. And anyways something's better than nothing and this may help in atleast kickstarting increased awareness.

Also, english is considered so important here but people only know formal english (that too mostly incorrectly) so this will also help in increasing exposure to the spoken english actually used among people of english-speaking countries.

How do movies like Transformers for instance increase awareness about anything at all? And FYI these movies are released not only in English but also Hindi and regional languages.

People will watch whatever entertains them regardless of where it's from and what language it's in. And if hollywood is entertaining them better then so be it. But in no way do I support the statement that India needs to change and westernize it's culture to be modern. Japan, China and even UAE are modernizing without having to change their culture or languages and hollywood movies make more money per capita in all these countries without actually "replacing" their culture. Are you suggesting that Indian cultures and languages are inferior?

IMO the Indian box office is starting to behave like China's where entertaining movies are huge hits and bad ones wither away, regardless of the film's origins

Edited by scoobysaurus
  • Like 1

How do movies like Transformers for instance increase awareness about anything at all? And FYI these movies are released not only in English but also Hindi and regional languages.

People will watch whatever entertains them regardless of where it's from and what language it's in. And if hollywood is entertaining them better then so be it. But in no way do I support the statement that India needs to change and westernize it's culture to be modern. Japan, China and even UAE are modernizing without having to change their culture or languages and hollywood movies make more money per capita in all these countries without actually "replacing" their culture. Are you suggesting that Indian cultures and languages are inferior?

IMO the Indian box office is starting to behave like China's where entertaining movies are huge hits and bad ones wither away, regardless of the film's origins

What the hell? You guys can take out any meaning from posts. I never meant any such thing as cultural inferiority. I was only saying it would help increase awareness of the outside world, in however small way. I mean 'countries like japan are modernizing without having to change there culture or language' - so? When did I say India should lose its culture to modernize? Heck when did I even say anything about modernizing? I just said that movies may help increasing awareness of outside world and western and eastern culture. How does that equal any such thing that you said. Knowing of other cultures and society is just finding out new things and new ways ghat helps in collective growth... Why would that mean losing culture or taking their culture? As for the language part, its not me who wanta people and students to know english. Even though I love the language myself I don't encourage it becoming the major language of communicatipn over hindi in here. But its those incharge of the education system that want this to happen. The complanies won't give you jobs here unless you're english is good. Being fluent in english is a thing that would help one get ahead. As such improved english will help people a lot. Its not that I consider hindi a low language.

#baahubali will do 4.8m usd from 236 screens 19 to 23k per average by weekend in USA.... Will be in top10 USA this week ( estimates from deadline )

It already holds the highest single day gross (09th Thursday) of 1.4 million in USA for any Indian film

Edited by Nostalgia