Kick-Ass 2 (2013)  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

You know that 27% on Rotten Tomatoes for Kick-Ass 2? Ya, well that is dead wrong. Kick-Ass 2 is able to not only be just as good as the first, its able to be just as good with less Hit-Girl. The new heroes and villains were all good. Its a real shame that Jim Carrey decided to opt out and just basically bash this movie. He's great in his role and I really wish we got to see more of him. Hit-Girl's story of just trying to be real teen Mindy Macready actually worked well considering in the first film, Mindy being Hit Girl was the best part of the original. Some of the humor doesn't work, aka the diarrhea scene was just nasty. Ya the film might be all over the place but I didn't care, I was having a lot of fun that I was able to look past that. This is actually one of my favorite movies of the summer, I can't wait to go see it again and buy it on DVD. I really hope we see a Kick-Ass 3.

Grade: A-

Now is it just me or does the Kick-Ass series have something against fathers?? For the people who have seen the movie, you guys know what i'm talking about.

• Like 2

You know that 27% on Rotten Tomatoes for Kick-Ass 2? Ya, well that is dead wrong. Kick-Ass 2 is able to not only be just as good as the first, its able to be just as good with less Hit-Girl. The new heroes and villains were all good. Its a real shame that Jim Carrey decided to opt out and just basically bash this movie. He's great in his role and I really wish we got to see more of him. Hit-Girl's story of just trying to be real teen Mindy Macready actually worked well considering in the first film, Mindy being Hit Girl was the best part of the original. Some of the humor doesn't work, aka the diarrhea scene was just nasty. Ya the film might be all over the place but I didn't care, I was having a lot of fun that I was able to look past that. This is actually one of my favorite movies of the summer, I can't wait to go see it again and buy it on DVD. I really hope we see a Kick-Ass 3.

Grade: A-

Now is it just me or does the Kick-Ass series have something against fathers?? For the people who have seen the movie, you guys know what i'm talking about.

I think it is a common theme for the father figure to die in a comic storyline like Peter Parker with Uncle Ben, Superman, Batman and well both of his parents.

So, I'm not much for writing these reviews. But, I really enjoyed this film. I felt it was on-par with the original. I felt like it advanced the story forward. You now have super teams and super villains, and lots of supporting characters die. I like the grisly real approach this film takes showing that there are consequences to being a hero. In other SH films, the hero at the end of the day leaves unscathed, but here we see many ramifications for trying to be a hero, and the heros in this film don't have any super powers. Some of the deaths surprised me which actually makes me think that if a third one happens, Kick-Ass might actually die. And, honestly, I think that would be a good thing for a SH film because I honestly can't recall a single SH film where the hero died. 

Anyway, I give this film an A.

• Like 6

To start, I was a huge fan of the first film, and it stands as one of my favorite comic book films in the past five years.

A cruder, meaner film that turned an interesting idea of a sequel to a less enjoyable one. That's not to say it's all bad, I really liked the theme of consequences, and the idea of teaming up. But this movie revels too much in its violence and crude humor while the original felt like it walked the tightrope much better. It all lacks purpose. It's also immensely disappointing that there's a 40-45 minute subplot regarding Hit Girl trying to be a normal school girl, which seems logical in nature, but makes for the most uninteresting subplot of the film and resolves in the most crude and unamusing way possible. I want to say critics are being a little harsh but I can see why they're scathing towards the film. This film is mostly mean spirited at its core. At times even it didn't sit well with me, whereas Kick-Ass did it with a nice and knowing smile, often with purpose (before it unravels in the end, but at least Hit Girl was immensely entertaining in that film). As for the action, it's not strongly edited nor shot. Too much shaky cam, too many cuts. The movie also lacks a Nicolas Cage...while Jim Carrey was interesting, he has even less screen time than Nicolas Cage did.

It's interesting that this could have been a sequel that could have been mostly just as good as its predecessor, maybe not as fresh as the first one felt at the time, but it could have been solid in its own right. But while Jeff Wadlow tries to emulate Vaughn's style, he doesn't handle it with quite as much class. And I say this despite the fact that Vaughn is an overrated director.

Maybe a 5 or 6/10. Can't decide. I'm not mad I saw a sequel, and I was enjoying a good deal of it in the theater, but some of it is leaving a sour taste.

Short review:

Not enough this...

Posted Image

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 2

Guess I didn't hate this movie as much as the critics did, in fact there is a lot of fun to be had in Kick-ass 2. Obviously, the movie didn't have the same style or flare without Matthew Vaughn directing, but Jeff Wadlow the new director did a decent job. Plenty of awesome action and violence. Chloe Grace Moretz was the scene stealer yet again. I liked her story of just trying to be normal high-school kid. When she throws down though, it is all bad-ass. Jim Carrey was awesome. Had a few hilarious scenes, felt he didn't get enough screen time though. Mother Russia was awesome as well. The only parts I didn't like the drama felt flat in a few scenes. Actors were trying to hard and came off very cliched.  Can't believe the RT score for this!

Overall B+.

• Like 2

Guess I didn't hate this movie as much as the critics did, in fact there is a lot of fun to be had in Kick-ass 2. Obviously, the movie didn't have the same style or flare without Matthew Vaughn directing, but Jeff Wadlow the new director did a decent job. Plenty of awesome action and violence. Chloe Grace Moretz was the scene stealer yet again. I liked her story of just trying to be normal high-school kid. When she throws down though, it is all bad-ass. Jim Carrey was awesome. Had a few hilarious scenes, felt he didn't get enough screen time though. Mother Russia was awesome as well. The only parts I didn't like the drama felt flat in a few scenes. Actors were trying to hard and came off very cliched.  Can't believe the RT score for this!

Overall B+.

This pretty much sums up my feelings for the movie

I had a really good time with the movie.

B+

Carlos Danger, I figured there wasn't nearly enough Mark Strong for you. ;)

I saw it, I enjoyed it, but it wasn't as good as the original.  Motherfucker is just so ridiculous, it becomes almost too much.

Hit Girl and her 'Mean Girls'esque storyline was fine, although the diarrhea thing was a little dumb.

Jim Carrey was under utilized in the film.  Was kind of shocked that he died when he did.  Figured he'd make it to at least the last 30 minutes of the film.

Overall, I had a fun time, but was a slight step down. 7.5/10 .. or as rating, B

Edited by Adam

The only part I hated was Mother Russia.  She was basically invincible in a world where people are real.  But other than that I liked the film as well.  Chloe and Johnson were awesome and I was really glad to see them exchange a kiss at the end.  

7.5/10

• Like 3

Jim Carrey was under utilized in the film.  Was kind of shocked that he died when he did.  Figured he'd make it to at least the last 30 minutes of the film.

This Means it's like the comic, as long as it stays true to what happens, I think this movie will be decent. from the comic's I got a big "WTH is going to happen next" thought, do you get this with the movie as well>?< don't spoil a yes or no answer will be fine, thanks.

The only part I hated was Mother Russia.  She was basically invincible in a world where people are real.  But other than that I liked the film as well.  Chloe and Johnson were awesome and I was really glad to see them exchange a kiss at the end.  

7.5/10

Huge letdown fromn the Original. 3/10

Not as good as the first one. The first one had charm to it and more likeable characters. I agree with Baumer about Mother Russia. She was way to powerful. The whole cop scene was way over the top. I also did like at the end no heroes die. I mean come most of these hero never been in a fight but they beat villains who some of them are trained fighters. I was kinda disapointred with the motherfucker.  The movie does have good moments and like most of the humor. 

B-/C+