RyneOh1040

Wednesday Numbers (TMI DOA w/$3m opening)

Nicole Kidman hasn't been in a hit for the last 10 years and she is still AAA in Hollywood.

Same could be said of Kate Winslet's carreer minus Titanic.

Prestigue & glamorous actresses get a free pass sometimes. They exist outside of BO concerns.

current rottentomatoes:

The Worlds End - 95% after 101 reviews

You're Next - 84% after 55 reviews

Mortal Instruments - 15% after 84 reviews

Congrats to Worlds End for being the best reviewed wide release of the summer.

Simon Pegg: Major roles in the top two best reviewed wide release films

Posted Image

:D

• Like 1

Nicole Kidman hasn't been in a hit for the last 10 years and she is still AAA in Hollywood

Is she? Getting peed on by Zac Efron doesn't exactly scream glamour

Colin Farrell can range from really fucking fantastic (In Bruges) to really fucking awful (Alexander) to I don't know what the fuck (Daredevil). He's an interesting actor.

As an actor he's okay. But my point was that he stars in flop after flop big budget, medium size, small budgets doesn't matter. He still gets starring roles.

Nicole Kidman hasn't been in a hit for the last 10 years and she is still AAA in Hollywood.

Prestigue & glamorous actresses get a free pass sometimes. They exist outside of BO concerns.

To be fair, Nicole doesn't really star in big budget movies anymore. Of course she will continue to get work, she's a good actress.

• Like 1

Yeah. Kate Winslet's had many, many critical successes with Oscar nominations and one relatively recent win. Same with Kidman, though to a much lesser degree. 

The thing is, if an actress (or actor for that matter) wants to continue getting roles despite low box office figures for their films, they need to have talent and conjure awards chatter for said films. 

• Like 2

As an actor he's okay. But my point was that he stars in flop after flop big budget, medium size, small budgets doesn't matter. He still gets starring roles.

Yeah, but he doesn't often get great roles. And that's a symptom of those flops, many of which weren't just financial disappointments, but critical ones as well. 

Edited by tonytr87

It's ridic to insist that you can't judge a newcomer's career by continued failure to deliver. Depp, Hanks, etc. are obvious exceptions to the rule. Actors disappear all the time. We couldn't even come up with a real list because they're so quickly forgotten. But if you think hype that never materializes through multiple films doesn't affect careers, I would say give Gretchen Mol, Taylor Kitsch, Taylor Lautner, Joseph Fiennes, Chris O'Donnell, Kate Hudson, Heather Graham, Chris Klein, Josh Harnett, or Leelee Sobieski a call and ask if their opportunities diminished when they had a run of films that underwhelmed.

I'm really speaking just for Collins here. I agree that Hemsworth has at least a few more years due to THG and this being his first real flop. But Collins has Abduction, Mirror Mirror, and now this. With no successes to break up the string of disappointments. I think it's naive to think this won't affect her future offers.

Edited by kells
  • Like 3

I'm really speaking just for Collins here. I agree that Hemsworth has at least a few more years due to THG and this being his first real flop. But Collins has Abduction, Mirror Mirror, and now this. With no successes to break up the string of disappointments. I think it's naive to think this won't affect her future offers.

Are you saying Collins was headlining ABDUCTION? It's Taylor Lautner front and center (and it made money, so it's not even a flop). I'm not quite sure how that bolsters your case.

Are you saying Collins was headlining ABDUCTION? It's Taylor Lautner front and center (and it made money, so it's not even a flop). I'm not quite sure how that bolsters your case.

Abduction was not exactly a money-spinner. Hell, even the Queen had an autopsy report ready to go for the movie, she never got around to writing it: http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/autopsy-report-abduction-coming/

I’m writing it now. So put on your big-boy pants and stop whining for it.

Comments will be turned on once it’s posted.
Edited by grim22

Abduction is totally seen as a flop. And while she wasn't headlining it, it was supposed to boost her career/profile. She had her PR relationship with Lautner and everything. But it tanked with critics and massively underperformed. That's not enough to tank a career, but it sure doesn't help. And then headlining two potential blockbusters and having both flop, while not being singled out in the least for her performances, isn't going to have her on the path towards competing for roles with JLaw, Shailene, or the Emmas.