baumer

You're Next (2013)

24 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This is a dumb horror movie which follows the same cliche stereotypes of 1980's horror movies. Characters doing stupid shit, like running out into the woods, going to isolated locations, or investigating strange noises. You're Next was suppose to be the great next original horror, but it fails. The acting is atrociously bad besides the final girl Sharni Vinson and the parents. You don't care about any of the characters. As the members of the family get picked off one-by-one, you care less and less about the movie. The movie tries to throw unexpected twists at you, but you as a viewer see them coming from a mile away. I'll give this movie credit for some innovative deaths though. The blender death is awesome, and I also like the sister Aimee's death getting her throat slit by wires. This movie isn't a complete waste. The final girl is awesome, and you care about her. Which is different then most horror movie heroine tropes. She is not one to fuck with. This movie makes you believe it too. 

Overall a very mixed bag for me. C 3.5/5

• Like 1

If you're not laughing your butt off when the family gives Amy Seimetz (who was excellent in this year's Upstream Color) a "running start" out the door because the killers won't be expecting any of them to escape full speed, and then you watch what happens, you're not on board with what the movie's trying to do: squeeze every drop of wit out of brutal horror. For some reason people can't accept humor in their slasher movies (writing it off as bad scripts and bad acting) and as a result we get tons of dry, unoriginal found footage garbage every year.

THAT'S who she was. Couldn't figure it out!

Saw this today, really enjoyed it.  The use of animal masks made things really creepy ... also was waiting for that axe/door spot to come into play ... figured Crispin or Felix would fall victim to it, but the police officer getting it worked out great to close to film.

B+

Yeah once I realized this is more of a comedy spoof idea like Cabin in the Woods, it made me enjoy the film more. Not scary or anything, but I liked the use of music and some of the old style atmosphere.The brother who got hit with the crossbow then stabbed at least 6 times with 6 different tools was hilariousThe movie is enjoyable and Erin is badass. The blender is extremely funny and one of the best parts of the film.I give it a B. Maybe a B+

Edited by 75live
  • Like 1

Holy shit!In a great year for horror, You're Next stands apart as something of a minor masterpiece. Funny and downright visceral, this proves you can laugh while showing the artistic and macabre side of heavy violence and gore. You're Next showcases a fantastic score with a smart story to boot.Makes The Conjuring look like child's play.A-

Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 2

One of my favourite parts of the movie is how she kills the bad guys. I mean she destroys them. She hits them about 10X each. So awesome. Halloween this aint. One thing I had to laugh at is the killers were being paid 200K each. What a shit amount of money to kill a family. These guys looked like they were about to inherit many millions. And the killers settled on 200k? Lol

• Like 3

Just got to watch this movie now and I gotta say that it deserves every love and laugh it gets from the audience and you guys and gals. It's one of the best horror movies I have seen in a long time. 

It will make it to my top 10 for the year 2013. 

• Like 1

FINALLY SAW THIS BOMB ASS FILM.

Ah, it was amazing. Loved Erin. Love the family and the characters they were.

I felt bad for some of them.

I totally would fucked the brother that got an arrow in the back and stabbed with six different tools. He cracked me up.

You just wanted to Erin to whoop their asses, and she does. It was incredible. Wish this had done much much better at the BO.

A+.

• Like 2

Horrible. Painful and stressful first 60 minutes, fun last 30 minutes, unfortunately ruined by a god awful twist 25/100

EDIT: Didn't know it was supposed to be a comedy/satire. That doesn't make the film any less bad though. For me, a movie can't  scary you and make you laugh at the same time, one cancels the other.
Edited by Goffe Ascending