BenedictL11

Gravity OS Thread

A $35.5 million opening in China launched Gravity to a $331.5 million overseas total. IMAX brought in 20% of that figure with a $7.4 million contribution to the film's debut, making it the biggest IMAX opener of all time in China. Gravity has now grossed $577 million worldwide. Other top markets for Gravity include France ($42.8M), the United Kingdom ($31.4M), South Korea ($27.9M), and Russia ($21.1M).

• Like 1

A $35.5 million opening in China launched Gravity to a $331.5 million overseas total. IMAX brought in 20% of that figure with a $7.4 million contribution to the film's debut, making it the biggest IMAX opener of all time in China. Gravity has now grossed $577 million worldwide. Other top markets for Gravity include France ($42.8M), the United Kingdom ($31.4M), South Korea ($27.9M), and Russia ($21.1M).

Wow, that's impressive, considering it had to split IMAX shows with CF ...

Current WW  $577M (incl. China opening) 

China            $40M

Rest of OS    $30M

N.A.               $10M

Japan            $20M

Total WW       $677M

Agree?

Looks legit. 40m from China seems a bit high tho.

I dont think anyone on this planet could've thought that this movie would actually beat MoS and Thor2. We're talking about a risky original project against a hot sequel and a much-anticipated reboot.

Edited by vc2002

Looks legit. 40m from China seems a bit high tho.

I dont think anyone on this planet could've thought that this movie would actually beat MoS and Thor2. We're talking about a risky original project against a hot sequel and a much-anticipated reboot.

THOR 2 & MoS are expected to do around $700M - $800M WW, with some predicting MoS north of $900M. Their final numbers are both (minor) disappointments. GRAVITY was generally predicted to do $400M WW by many. When the 1st Saturday number was published, I went bullish and predicted $600M+ WW. A $400M WW is a pretty good performance for Warner, a $650M WW is truly gravity-defying. 

Edited by zackzack

[*]Gravity added $25.4m through Warner Bros Pictures International from approximately 6,900 screens in 54 markets to reach $365.6m. In its second week in China the space adventure grossed $20.7m (Rmb 126.4m) from 5,854 for $55.6m (Rmb 338.7m).

According to the distributor Gravity ranked number two over the three-day period in China behind Hong Kong titleWhite Storm.

The film stands at $45.7m in France after six weekends, $36.8m in the UK after four, $28.7m in South Korea after seven, $21.2m in Russia after nine, $19m in Australia after nine, $17,6m in Mexico after seven, $17.3m in Germany after nine, $10.9m in Spain after nine, a final lifetime gross of $8.6m in Italy and $8m in Brazil after eight sessions.

"...Gravity has grossed a total of $365.6 million overseas and crossed the $600 million global mark this weekend with a $615.3 million worldwide cume..."

On hearing my enthusiastic $600M WW predict for GRAVITY, some guy said:

"I think people need to get an Expectation Lowering Procedure training before they are allowed to post predictions. <_<

Lecture 1- Just because you want a film to succeed and it exceeds expectations in the first weekend doesn't mean that your predictions should make humongous jumps.''

This guy is wise and he is right but it is nice you are vindicated  :)

Look at my sig. Click on the link  ;)

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 1

"...Gravity has grossed a total of $365.6 million overseas and crossed the $600 million global mark this weekend with a $615.3 million worldwide cume..."

On hearing my enthusiastic $600M WW predict for GRAVITY, some guy said:

"I think people need to get an Expectation Lowering Procedure training before they are allowed to post predictions. <_<

Lecture 1- Just because you want a film to succeed and it exceeds expectations in the first weekend doesn't mean that your predictions should make humongous jumps.''

This guy is wise and he is right but it is nice you are vindicated  :)

Look at my sig. Click on the link  ;)

Yeah, that was me. :)

P.S.: I am happy it did this well.

P.S.S.: I disabled sigs, and  I am too lazy to change the settings to see the link. Would you kindly post it?

Edited by XenoZodiac