BenedictL11

Gravity OS Thread

What can't happen in real life?

Clooney's jet pack doesn't exist and is impossible with current technology. The Hubble and the Space Station are in totally different orbits. The Space Shuttle itself couldn't travel between them on a single trip.

Clooney's jet pack doesn't exist and is impossible with current technology. The Hubble and the Space Station are in totally different orbits. The Space Shuttle itself couldn't travel between them on a single trip.

Jet packs do exist and have been used since way back. Although they don't work exactly like shown in the film. Rest of the points are true but they aren't exactly fictional. It would be like calling an action film a fiction where an untrained hero takes on 10 guys and defeats them, because that doesn't happen in real life.

In the literal sense, well, most of the movies are fiction, since they are imaginary. :)

Jet packs do exist and have been used since way back. Although they don't work exactly like shown in the film. Rest of the points are true but they aren't exactly fictional. It would be like calling an action film a fiction where an untrained hero takes on 10 guys and defeats them, because that doesn't happen in real life.

In the literal sense, well, most of the movies are fiction, since they are imaginary. :)

GRAVITY takes place in a near-future alternate reality: one where the US continued to fund the NASA shuttle missions (the last shuttle mission was STS-135, in the movie their mission is STS-157); it's also set at least a decade in the future, since China's space station program is complete and functional (they're just starting to build it now). "Science fiction" is also traditionally defined as "speculative fiction" (which also encompasses fantasy); GRAVITY falls well within that genre.

Gravity is technically science fiction but primarily it is  a survival type movie. It is like an episode of "I Shouldn't Be Alive" in space. I just think it is funny when people act as if  Gravity's success is going to do anything for the science fiction genre. Some seem to genuinely think more original sci fi will be green lit because of this movie lol 

Gravity is technically science fiction but primarily it is  a survival type movie. It is like an episode of "I Shouldn't Be Alive" in space. I just think it is funny when people act as if  Gravity's success is going to do anything for the science fiction genre. Some seem to genuinely think more original sci fi will be green lit because of this movie lol 

Sure, pretty much all movies are a blend of genres. And really, they're just arbitrary categories we decide to create anyway. At the same time, it's funny people so stridently refuse to believe (or accept) that it *is* science fiction, in addition to whatever other genre(s) you want to call it.

Edited by Telemachos

Jet packs do exist and have been used since way back. Although they don't work exactly like shown in the film. Rest of the points are true but they aren't exactly fictional. It would be like calling an action film a fiction where an untrained hero takes on 10 guys and defeats them, because that doesn't happen in real life. In the literal sense, well, most of the movies are fiction, since they are imaginary. :)

Where did I say jet packs don't exist?

Of course Gravity is SCI-FI. Thinking back of the silly arguements posted by a few dudes months ago still makes me laugh. How silly they were.

If you think Gravity is not sci-fi, then you actually know little about science.

Gravity is plainly full of sci-fi, fictions, bugs and a little of science.

Of course Gravity is SCI-FI. Thinking back of the silly arguements posted by a few dudes months ago still makes me laugh. How silly they were.

If you think Gravity is not sci-fi, then you actually know little about science.

Gravity is plainly full of sci-fi, fictions, bugs and a little of science.

I knew it! Those bugs caused the space station explosion! Time to send out the starship troopers

Warner has stopped tracking this...?

Yeah thats what I thought. So there's chance that Gravity might never out-gross MoS because of that, even if it actually did.

But of cause that leads to another question of whether MoS just did 662m? I mean WB might have also stopped tracking that even when it was still making money.

Edited by vc2002

Yeah thats what I thought. So there's chance that Gravity might never out-gross MoS because of that, even if it actually did.

But of cause that leads to another question of whether MoS just did 662m? I mean WB might have also stopped tracking that even when it was still making money.

That is just too bad...

:(  :(

Screendaily updated weekend report. 

Gravity has amassed $405.6m and stands at $13.2m in Japan after three weekends. China has generated $68m, France $47.6m, the UK $43.5m, South Korea $29.2m and Russia $21.2m. Australia has delivered $19.6m, Mexico $17.6m, Germany $17.4m and Spain $11.1m. As reported previsouly, Italy on $8.6m and Brazil on $8.1m are final results.

• Like 2

Annnd the main reason to celebrate for me is  :P

Worldwide, GRAVITY ($669M) just passed MAN OF STEEL ($668)-- wonder if anyone at Warner Bros. predicted that?  
Edited by Tauriel