A Marvel Fanboy

The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug OS Thread

Yes, the hobbit is beloved in EU and I like it, when the hobbit release it's the only time that Europe shines again!!!! Look germany 88M 70M for UK that is just crazy

It seems big, but IMO, UK number is disappointing. Middle-Earth belongs to UK in the same way than Harry Potter. The drop has been notable there relative to LOTR. Germany has made the same numbers than LOTR what is remarkable having into account that nearly every developed market has dropped in gross from LOTR in spite of better exchange rates, inflation and 3D. Said this, you are right, Europe is the main market for Tolkien by far.

In North America Desolation of Smaug was the lower grossing of the five Tolkiens, despite 3D and inflation, (-15% of Unexpected Journey). I think this is due in part to the "unexpected" competition it had by the overperformance of Frozen in christmas and new year holidays.

In North America Desolation of Smaug was the lower grossing of the five Tolkiens, despite 3D and inflation, (-15% of Unexpected Journey). I think this is due in part to the "unexpected" competition it had by the overperformance of Frozen in christmas and new year holidays.

I do not agree. Drops of DOS have been quite similar to AUJ's. DOS OW was lower a 13% than AUJ's. IMHO, the problem was the mixed reception of AUJ.

I do not agree. Drops of DOS have been quite similar to AUJ's. DOS OW was lower a 13% than AUJ's. IMHO, the problem was the mixed reception of AUJ.

it's also because I think the movie had no ending at all. Giving it a "I can wait for the Blu Ray and just catch the next one in theaters" Feel. 

I also blame a lackluster marketing campaign that really only caters to fans. If they had released that final epic trailer in theaters for example and it played in front of movies like Gravity and Catching Fire, there would have been more interest in the film on opening weekend

I think it was due to the fact that AUJ kind of sucked.

• Like 1

I also blame a lackluster marketing campaign that really only caters to fans. If they had released that final epic trailer in theaters for example and it played in front of movies like Gravity and Catching Fire, there would have been more interest in the film on opening weekend

It's right. They didn't think to have a strong competition in first week of release, so they built a poor marketing, for budget and ideas. Instead the three LOTR chapters had OW and total gross in growth between 1th/2nd movie and between 2nd/3rd movie (and all of three grossed more than both Hobbit movies)

Agree. Japan is the main problem of Hobbit relative to LOTR. With current exchange rate, every LOTR movie would have done over 100 million there and Hobbit is not even able to reach 20 million.

ugh Im still disappointed even tho 15m max was my prediction for them  :sadno:

Edited by Tauriel

To the contrary, he makes the movies better than the book. Have you read Hobbit recently? It has its charms but it's fluffy, childish, with bland characters. I don't blame Tolkien, he wrote that book for his children but i prefer what PJ is doing. Not that the movies aren't without fault.

It's quite boring actually, I mean, the book. But I finished it.

Increase to $694,700,000 now. :)

Still, one of the most successful franchises ever. Warner is fast running out of franchises now that Harry Potter (11 years), Dark Knight (7 years), Hobbits series (15 years) are all ending or has ended. MoS did very good business but fans are divided. MoS2 is being pushed back. And Warner has no interest in doing Flash or Green Arrow or WW movies, which is a shame really.

And Potter's new spin-off will not be as successful as the original, I feel. Warner has no animation line-up unlike Fox & Disney which can boost annual numbers and buffer massive failures like SPEED RACER or BATTLEFIELD EARTH. They cannot kowtow to Nolan every time they need a $500M grosser.

Is it true what I just read about a new name for The Hobbit 3? "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies"

Apparently so. The whole battle must be a key part of the film. Personally I don't think it's either better or worse than There and back again. 

• Like 1

Still, one of the most successful franchises ever. Warner is fast running out of franchises now that Harry Potter (11 years), Dark Knight (7 years), Hobbits series (15 years) are all ending or has ended. MoS did very good business but fans are divided. MoS2 is being pushed back. And Warner has no interest in doing Flash or Green Arrow or WW movies, which is a shame really.

And Potter's new spin-off will not be as successful as the original, I feel. Warner has no animation line-up unlike Fox & Disney which can boost annual numbers and buffer massive failures like SPEED RACER or BATTLEFIELD EARTH. They cannot kowtow to Nolan every time they need a $500M grosser.

The harry potter spin-off will be far bigger than any harry potter

J.k rowling herself will write the script!