Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

I don't think STID is nearly as loathed by the GA as it is by trekkers (myself included). Most of my friends who saw it really liked it. I guess if you don't re-watch Wrath of Khan on a weekly basis (like me), those groansome lines of dialogue lifted wholesale don't feel nearly as clunky.

That being said, I think we're mostly looking at a SKYFALL > SPECTRE type situation here. Slightly milder opening and legs. I know we're 3 months away but the buzz and awareness for this compared to a lot of other summer tentpoles feels thin. In fact, Spectre's OW and total ($70m / $200m) feel like realistic targets right now.

OS is another matter. ST09 was at $127m, STID nearly doubled this to $235m. Ex rates will hold back a similarly exponential growth this time round but $300m feels do-able (is this planned for a China release?)

• Like 2

With Nimoy's passing and him being the tie back to the Trek Prime Universe I think that they should find a way to bring Shatner's Kirk into a likely 4th film. 

A tie to the Nexus seems the easiest way to go and have ShatnerKirk dropped into the 24th century where Picard picks him up, or Riker. 

Just now, Ryan Reynolds said:

Is Paramount going to promote this, at least a new trailer?

Obviously. At some point. There's just no need for one quite yet. Maybe with one of the big May blockbusters like Civil War. 

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Obviously. At some point. There's just no need for one quite yet. Maybe with one of the big May blockbusters like Civil War. 

This movie needed a new trailer about 30 seconds after the first one debuted.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kowhite said:

This movie needed a new trailer about 30 seconds after the first one debuted.

I guess you could say that Paramount is intentionally trying to...sabotage the movie.

• Like 4

I met someone working on this in the Post side of things. Their lips were sealed, NDAed up the wazoo, but they did say Lin was nice, was a big Trek fan and seemed sincerely passionate about doing a worthy job to honor the franchise. Whether that means anything... who knows?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

I met someone working on this in the Post side of things. Their lips were sealed, NDAed up the wazoo, but they did say Lin was nice, was a big Trek fan and seemed sincerely passionate about doing a worthy job to honor the franchise. Whether that means anything... who knows?

Its so secretive not everyone at Paramount is even aware of the plot.