Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

Just now, Ryan Reynolds said:

For all the hate STID gets, it still has 90% audience rating on RT

The STID hate comes from a very loud but very tiny group of people.

The movie is loved most of the time.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

For all the hate STID gets, it still has 90% audience rating on RT

Cause it's a good, fun movie? I like STID better than it's predecessor though.

• Like 4

I didn't want to gush too much after seeing it a couple weeks ago, but I really loved it and had a great time.  Fun, funny, heartfelt and pretty much a blast.  

Glad to see that confirmed by everyone that saw it tonight.  Hoping that this breaks out.  It deserves to.  

• Like 14

32 minutes ago, Durden said:

This reminds me of probably my biggest complaint of STID:  The story feels like it belongs in one of those in-between-movie novels that Trek would put out.

By that, I mean it feels like the sort of story that can't do really much of anything to change the status quo (and, hey, it throws in some Trek lore to boot with Khan, which a lot of the novels often did), but since it's just a tie-in novel, it has to leave us in the exact place we started, since no Trek film is ever going to reference events of a novel.

Which is exactly what STID does, giving us almost literally the same final scene as ST09, with Kirk and crew setting off on their five-year mission.  The entire film feels really superfluous, retreading Khan, etc., rather than taking advantage of the new canvas the first one laid out for the universe and doing something to expand it.

I think the thing about STID is that it works at the level that Abrams is very good at, by creating that enjoyable atmosphere that really is fun. And that means that, yes, most people will like it. I don't think it should be construed that consensus "I like this" means that it's a loved film.

The problem with it is that as the film goes on, it gets weighed down with the efforts to be referential and reverential to very specific moments in an earlier film. This is, honestly, the same problem that TFA has. The more the film goes on, the more it's insistent on being very much like the OT, which undermines its ability to stand on its own.

ST09, despite being really, really bad in terms of science, was pretty clear that it just wanted to be a fun ride, mostly in the vein of Star Wars (rather than Star Trek), so it felt fresh and new.

I suppose, in an oblique way, the Super 8 runs into the same problem as STID and TFA. It's pretty consumed with being Spielbergian, though not so much with specific references.

• Like 7

Well at least from a critical standpoint the Summer seems to be getting better.

Wondering when the Embargo lifts for this one? Guessing it must be soon.

Also on the subject of STID, I watched it once and never again. I have to revisit both before seeing this.

Edited by somebody85

15 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Well at least from a critical standpoint the Summer seems to be getting better.

Wondering when the Embargo lifts for this one? Guessing it must be soon.

Also on the subject of STID, I watched it once and never again. I have to revisit both before seeing this.

20th or 21st.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Actually apparently adjusted for inflation only Star Trek 09 passed both The Motion Picture and Wrath of Khan. Into Darkness is #4 behind 09, The Motion Picture, and The Voyage Home.

Sorry I apparently wasn't clear.  I was only comparing the 1st release of the reboot films to the first release of the original films, and comparing the 2nd releasee of the reboot films to the 2nd release of the original films.

1.  Star Trek had larger ticket sales in adjusted dollars and more total admission the Star Trek the Motion Picture.

2.  Into Darkness had larger tickets sales in adjusted dollars, but didn't actually have more admission then wrath of Khan

and I was hoping that Beyond would continue at least what Into darkness did in relationship to Search for Spock.