Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

STID was a fine movie, but wasn't the sequel I wanted (or felt was promised) after ST09 (which remains one of my all time favourite holy-shit-that-was-fun-I-wanna-see-it-again experiences in a cinema).

Anyway, thinking Antman-ish numbers. Slightly higher OW, slightly lower total.

65/175/475

1 hour ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

Not the entire reviews.  (Who has time for that?)   But I did read all the excerpts I posted, which is why I said,  "So, still some positive mentions."

One of those excerpts even cites the very thing we're arguing about: "Roses rarely lose their bloom as quickly as Star Trek Into Darkness. Well received upon its initial release, JJAbrams’ sequel has since undergone a recalibration and a re-evaluation. "

That's my sense as well, but I concede it's hard to prove it in any concrete way without finding a good number of reviewers who have changed their mind and written about it.

Not to mention, there was Spectre which faced criticism for the very thing most critics brushed over for STID.

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

Regarding this whole reevaluating debate, I should say that two new positive reviews were added today and the review of Drew McWeeny at HitFix, which was a straight high-praising A by the way, directly addressed this debate:

Well, there you go, that's one critic I suppose.

PS: I still really enjoy STID myself.

Mcweeny was never enamored with STiD though, he says in his STiD review that it's fun, but also said that his feelings on it would be between frustration of long time fans and a presumed great time that reboot fans would have.

Besides, that's one critic.

24 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Only 5 days away, and still not much hype for this movie.

Under 60m OW?

I'm really excited about this movie, and I've hardly been excited about any film so far this year.  Anecdotal, but I think it sounds great and I expect it to do well.

It sounds like Chris Hemsworth is coming back for Star Trek IV.   I'm thinking it has to be some alternate timeline since CH played Kirk's dad who died a hero in saving the crew of his ship in the first movie.  http://www.vulture.com/2016/07/chris-hemsworth-coming-back-for-star-trek-4.html 

I'm intrigued about how that will impact Kirk, however.

Edited by trifle

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Obviously the most interesting thing going forward will be in seeing how they'll handle Chekov's absence. Perhaps they'll just write him out of the team without explanation and we just accept it (for good reason).

I feel like they already foreshadowed Chekov. This isn't meant to be a joke, but in STID, he took off the yellow shirt to don a red one. At the time, there was a pause, giving long-time Trekies a chuckle with that little in-joke. It means so much more now. RIP.