Daredevil and Luke Cage Come to the Small Screen

Four of Marvel’s most storied characters — Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage — are getting their very own TV shows.

Well, sort of.

Netflix and Disney announced today that they’ve joined forces to develop a live-action “four series epic,” plus a “miniseries event,” based on a quartet of beloved Marvel characters. Each hero will star in a separate thirteen-episode series. Their storylines will converge in a miniseries evidently called The Defenders, which will “reimagine a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters” — much like Disney’s 2012 big-screen blockbuster The Avengers, which brought together plot threads from five previous films.

The epic tale of the new Defenders begins in 2015 with a serial that spotlights Daredevil, the blind New York City crusader last played onscreen by Ben Affleck in a poorly received 2003 film. Daredevil will be followed by series about Jessica Jones (a superheroine turned private eye), Iron Fist (a martial arts master), and Luke Cage (an indestructible Harlem native whom Old Spice spokesman Isaiah Mustafa campaigned to play a few years ago).

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/11/07/netflix-disney-marvel-daredevil-luke-cage/

Cool news.

No offense, but I believe there have been 2 other TV shows with the title The Defenders, and they were about attorneys.  If this ever sees the light of day, it needs a different name. :rolleyes:

Avengers didn't need a different name.

This seems like a really bizarre choice... will it be connected to the MCU or its own thing is my question

Very good question.. But i think the 4 shows will connected...Bring on Defenders!!!!

It's being produced through ABC and Marvel Studios to Netflix, I believe, so it's a safe bet it's in the MCU until otherwise stated.

This is kind of a groundbreaking deal for Netflix though. They've done original series before but nothing even close to something like this.

Drew Goddard is writing the Daredevil series  :wub:

http://www.thewrap.com/netflix-disney-marvel-daredevil-drew-goddard

Apparently he's a big fan, too

Goddard is a self-professed “Daredevil” buff whose interest in the character is well known. “You’re talking to a guy who had quotes from Daredevil painted on his wall while growing up,” Goddard told Collider earlier this year. “Even when I was 18, I still had the blood red door with the, ‘I have shown him that a man without hope is a man without fear.’ That was what I loved and so it’s the sort of thing that if we can find the right project, I would love to do it.”
  • Like 1

This seems like a really bizarre choice... will it be connected to the MCU or its own thing is my question

I had the same question and I hope it does!

Looks like I'll have to renew my Netflix account when this comes out lol I cancelled it earlier this year because I stopped watching it and my ex girlfriend and her family kept using it after we broke up. 2 birds in one stone cancelling it lol But now I want to see this!