grim22

Weekend Estimates: Thor TDW 86.1M, Ender 10.25, Free Birds 11.2, Grav 8.4, BG 11.3, Last Vegas 11.1

They need to pull Thor out of Asgard, merge him with Donald Blake (to create some vulnerability and up the stakes) and pit him against some classic villains like The Wrecking Crew or The Absorbing Man. Linking all these characters is really starting to nullify their potential.

So basically you want them to take everything unique away from the character and make him like every other superhero. lol

• Like 1

So basically you want them to take everything unique away from the character and make him like every other superhero. lol

Agree.. Donald Blake worked for the comics.. This is different..

Taking away from the character? It would be adding a relatable human dimension to the character. And I meant for when they eventually re-boot the title (not that they couldn't use the merging of god and human as a storyline, as Wikipedia points out: "Thor's father Odin decides his son needed to be taught humility and consequently places Thor (without memories of godhood) into the body and memories of an existing, partially disabled human medical student, Donald Blake".

So what are we looking at for the opening weekend? $70-$75M?That's fine I guess. I predicted $83M but I don't know how feasible that will be.In all some expectations, I think folks forget that IM3 domestic gross (I say domestic because its international gross was jacked up by Avengers awareness) was amped up by 3-D. Yes, Thor will increase but it won't be as pronounced because the first movie was already in 3-D.All this being said, for Marvel to get a character like Thor to open up to anything above $50M is actually a minor miracle. A lot of comic fans find the character hard to like talk much less of the general audience. As someone that reads comics (and has done for most of his life), it's always a joy to see a second tier character like Thor enjoy success on the big screen.Now, if WB can just give me my Wonder Woman movie....

• Like 1

You're wasting your time,why can't you wait the official numbers before writing things like 'disappointing' 'flop'.You will go nowhere in life without patience and forward thinking.I quietly wait these numbers and I feel better,early statements from unofficial sources are preposterous.

Edited by Sonic
  • Like 2

So what are we looking at for the opening weekend? $70-$75M?That's fine I guess. I predicted $83M but I don't know how feasible that will be.In all some expectations, I think folks forget that IM3 domestic gross (I say domestic because its international gross was jacked up by Avengers awareness) was amped up by 3-D. Yes, Thor will increase but it won't be as pronounced because the first movie was already in 3-D.All this being said, for Marvel to get a character like Thor to open up to anything above $50M is actually a minor miracle. A lot of comic fans find the character hard to like talk much less of the general audience. As someone that reads comics (and has done for most of his life), it's always a joy to see a second tier character like Thor enjoy success on the big screen.Now, if WB can just give me my Wonder Woman movie....

If friday is over 32 mill i cant see it under 80 mill.. Could go higher...

You're wasting your time,why can't you wait the official numbers before writing things like 'disappointing' 'flop'.You will go nowhere in life without patience and forward thinking.I quietly wait these numbers and I feel better,early statements from unofficial sources are preposterous.

The official numbers won't be that different. It's basically 30 M, give or take 3 M.

And by the way,how is the US market this year compared to 2012? Can we expect an increase?

Thanks in advance.

Compare:  
Year Gross* 2013

% change

% change

% change

% change

% change

% change

2013 $8,966.6 - +0.0% +4.5% -0.1% +3.2% +11.0%
2012 $8,963.4 -0.0% - +4.4% -0.1% +3.2% +11.0%
2011 $8,582.8 -4.3% -4.2% - -4.3% -1.2% +6.3%
2010 $8,972.7 +0.1% +0.1% +4.5% - +3.3% +11.1%
2009 $8,686.9 -3.1% -3.1% +1.2% -3.2% - +7.5%
2008 $8,077.7 -9.9% -9.9% -5.9% -10.0% -7.0% -

Don't be concerned by the drop from 2010, it's not an apples-apples comparison (the 7th was a Sunday in 2010, so there's more weekend days).

Edited by lab276
  • Like 1