Films

Weekend estimates:Thor 2 $38.4m, TBMH $30.6m

Are you kidding me?  Have you not looked at Skyfall's run?  Ray pulled that comparison right out of his ass and you're delusional enough about how well liked Thor 2 was to believe him.

I'm guessing he thought Thanksgiving was this week rather than next week.

Holiday in Brazil probably had something to do with it

Trust me, I don't think the holiday is the real reason. The film simply has GREAT holds all around the globe. It isn't an isolated thing. Thor is showing good legs, and I believe people will get surprised next weekend with the holds it'll pull off. 

Catching Fire was released here in Brazil this weekend and Thor: The Dark World held up quite well Rth reported, falling only 25%. It's a completely feasible scenario, you like it or not. 

So you think Thor 2 will drop 13.5% next week, okay sure.  And Brazil is totally comparable to US/Canada in terms of box office  <_<

Trust me, I don't think the holiday is the real reason. The film simply has GREAT holds all around the globe. It isn't an isolated thing. Thor is showing good legs, and I believe people will get surprised next weekend with the holds it'll pull off.

I don't know.Domestically, Thor might drop quite a bit next weekend but if it continues to play like a family movie, then it will be fine. It's definitely going to cross $200M but by how much I don't know. Late year releases tend to play longer (except for Twilight which is horrendously front loaded).Internationally, it's still going to do strong business. Catching Fire isn't going to hamper it very much outside the US and parts of Europe

this is getting kind of silly. Thor 2 has opened almost  everywhere and it is going to finish with what it is currently expected to finish with. (slightly above 200m domestic and 400m overseas). It is not going to suddenly develop these amazing legs and prove immune to any of the competition that is coming out soon. 

• Like 3

Thor2 has grossed exactly how most people expected it to, DOM and OS. Neither amazing legs at all, nor poor legs.

It will end up between $650-700M worldwide.

Most importantly, it outgrossed its predecessor, something Iron Man 2 didn't do.

On a side note

[*]Iron Man 3 dropped significantly below $400m in adjusted numbers, even though it came out just 6 months ago.  

[*]Captain Phillips jumps from $97m to $100m 

hahaha

Edited by lilmac

FWIW, not counting Thursday/midnight showings, Thor dropped 51% this weekend.

Holds this week are insane. Thor 2, Carrie and the Counselor are the only ones to drop more than 50%. Hollywood should consider spacing out releases, it seems to work well for legs.

Posted Image

If it holds up, -55% for a Non-Holiday, Friday opening, comic book superhero sequel is pretty good.

The only sequels since 2000 to do better are:

TDK -52.5%

X2 -53.2%

(And The Avengers, if you consider it a sequel to four film franchises)

In fact, 55% would be better than a lot of first run SH films and reboots. So the lack of direct competition probably helped, but, then again, the first Thor had a nice drop for a superhero film as well.

• Like 1

Are you kidding me? Have you not looked at Skyfall's run? Ray pulled that comparison right out of his ass and you're delusional enough about how well liked Thor 2 was to believe him.http://boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=weekend&id=earlynovember.htmSkyfall fell 13.6% in its 3rd weekend, Thor 2 isn't even sniffing that in your biased dreams, it will probably pull reverse that number, 63.1% drop next weekend. Then Skyfall stayed strong throughout its late run and it even got an Oscar bump. Thor: the Mediocre world's most prestigious accolade would be something like a Kid's Choice award if it's lucky.

You are ignorant if you assume that calendar always aligns as well. Skyfalls 3rd weekend was thanksgiving - hence the great hold - something that Thor doesn't get until week 4 they may have opened on similar dates but the calendar structure is vastly different.