Dementeleus

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It's better than the first. It adds a little more depth and more focus is placed on the core of the story.Ultimately, it still feels like a film adapted from young teen literature, and I can't really imagine this being loved by anyone except teeny-bopper fanboys.Still, it could be much worse.B/B-

It's better than the first. It adds a little more depth and more focus is placed on the core of the story.Ultimately, it still feels like a film adapted from young teen literature, and I can't really imagine this being loved by anyone except teeny-bopper fanboys.Still, it could be much worse.B/B-

What a ridiculous comment.

• Like 11

This type of comment infuriates me. What a pretentious twat you're being. Man, that was just a really dumb thing to say. You're hilarious, though. You sound completely insecure with your taste and that anything that's not R or adult in nature can't be great or meaningful. 

Your loss. 

• Like 9

There's nothing wrong with not loving a film that everyone else does but say such asinine things like that?  I'm 40 and can enjoy a film like 12 Years a Slave just as much as a film like CF or Grown Ups.  Movies are meant to entertain.  

It's better than the first. It adds a little more depth and more focus is placed on the core of the story.

Ultimately, it still feels like a film adapted from young teen literature, and I can't really imagine this being loved by anyone except teeny-bopper fanboys.

Still, it could be much worse.

B/B-

Apparently I needed to put up a disclaimer for my review.

The disclaimer reads as follows:

"I apologize for any teeny-bopper fanboys that were inadvertently offended during the review process.

IMO bitches."

IMO.

What a vicious bunch you are.

Posted Image

Aside from my feeling that the film is a bit too slavish to the word of the novel in the final act, particularly the ending, the other main flaw of the film is Peeta. The character always felt rather like a soggy lump of bread in the novel and Hutcherson does nothing to elevate the character at all, so all of Katniss' reactions re falling in love and then upset over losing him carry zero weight whatsoever. If Peeta had died when he derped into the forcefield it would carried no weight with me whatsoever.

• Like 5

Aside from my feeling that the film is a bit too slavish to the word of the novel in the final act, particularly the ending, the other main flaw of the film is Peeta. The character always felt rather like a soggy lump of bread in the novel and Hutcherson does nothing to elevate the character at all, so all of Katniss' reactions re falling in love and then upset over losing him carry zero weight whatsoever. If Peeta had died when he derped into the forcefield it would carried no weight with me whatsoever.

Pains me to say it but I agree. Hutcherson is not a strong actor.
  • Like 1

This movie was so full of awesomeness, I may have to post a review on my blog even though it's not based on a comic book.

Why is it usually #2's that get it so right? Answer: Because the ending is usually left open. Nice tidy endings are just too nice and tidy.

My favorite films out of franchises with open endings(In no order):

Catching Fire(Probably)

Two Towers(Best ending ever)

SM2(Some say it's the tidiest and SM3 is the most open, but I heartily disagree. The look on MJ's face and the music in the background shout that this is all far from over. While SM3's ending was tidy, when compared to the rest of the film, hah)

X2

ESB

TDK(My all time favorite, of course)

Star Trek II(And First Contact, if you consider ST: Generations the first film of a new series)

Thor 2(Room for improvement with a third film here)

Some exceptions to the #2 rule:

ROTS(Ending was open since it led into ANH)

POTC: COTBP

Iron Man

Batman89

Superman(I liked #2 better until I grew up and realized, the classic nature of the first film fits Superman better)

Edited by Accursed Architect!™
  • Like 1

This movie was so full of awesomeness, I may have to post a review on my blog even though it's not based on a comic book.

Why is it usually #2's that get it so right? Answer: Because the ending is usually left open. Nice tidy endings are just too nice and tidy.

My favorite films out of franchises with open endings(In no order):

Catching Fire(Probably)

Two Towers(Best ending ever)

SM2(Some say it's the tidiest and SM3 is the most open, but I heartily disagree. The look on MJ's face and the music in the background shout that this is all far from over. While SM3's ending was tidy, when compared to the rest of the film, hah)

X2

ESB

TDK(My all time favorite, of course)

Star Trek II(And First Contact, if you consider ST: Generations the first film of a new series)

Thor 2(Room for improvement with a third film here)

Some exceptions to the #2 rule:

ROTS(Ending was open since it led into ANH)

POTC: COTBP

Iron Man

Batman89

Superman(I liked #2 better until I grew up and realized, the classic nature of the first film fits Superman better)

I won't spoil anything but believe me when I say that Mockingjay isn't nice and tidy at all.