Plain Old Tele

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Watched it

Was better then the first as it was more griping but lol bad luck Pete... 

I sort of figured out the ending from the middle of the film and they rushed the ending way way to quick.

The love story is just tiresome, just friend zone Pete already... 

I think one thing I liked was the social commentary and the whole revolution part.

Did like that the film took the action and violence to a higher level to raise the stakes. 

B+ 

THG: B 

Edited by Lordmandeep

So, lordmandeep, you figured out in the middle of the film that the ending would result in Katniss and the other victors blowing the arena up? Bullshit. 

I saw it again today. Loved it just as much. And thanks for mentioning that scene ddddeeee, the death stare match was epic. 

• Like 2

So, lordmandeep, you figured out in the middle of the film that the ending would result in Katniss and the other victors blowing the arena up? Bullshit.

Actually, I figured that out too, generally speaking. I thought it seemed pretty obvious, though I haven't read the book. People talked about the twist and big moment at the end, I figured the only way that'd happen was if the arena was somehow destroyed. Once they got in there, something to do with the lightning tree seemed the only way to do it.
  • Like 2

Why would I bullshit about it? Why does it seem so remarkably unbelievable that this beat would be unforeseen?

Because the film gave no hint whatsoever of how the ending was going to be. It just seems like a pretty random thought to have while watching the film to think, "Omg, Katniss is going to destroy the forcefield, the tributes she's with are actually her allies, and Plutarch is actually a good guy even though there's been no scene shown of him that would indicate that thought."

If you truly did come up with all of this.......then wow. Your good. :)

Because the film gave no hint whatsoever of how the ending was going to be. It just seems like a pretty random thought to have while watching the film to think, "Omg, Katniss is going to destroy the forcefield, the tributes she's with are actually her allies, and Plutarch is actually a good guy even though there's been no scene shown of him that would indicate that thought."If you truly did come up with all of this.......then wow. Your good. :)

I didn't foresee the details at all. I figured there would be a couple of "twists" to change things up, but obviously there are many different ways that could've gone. I just said I figured that they'd destroy the arena barrier. Katniss is the main character, so I figured it's probably her that does it, and it's have something to do with the lightning tree, since there didn't seem to be anything else around that would be powerful enough. But it's not a big deal that I guessed. It wasn't the sort of movie to live and die on whether I could figure anything out or not. It was smart storytelling to have destroy it, and so I thought it was appropriate. (I felt the actual was too rushed, but that's a separate discussion).
  • Like 1

No when the Axe girl (lol I am bad with names) and the black guy from the recent James Bond films let out hints and you knew the shield was the key and that the other challengers were working to help Katniss.

Even so Notcis just because you can see the ending coming does not mean when Katnis shot the arrow to destroy was still quite a surprise and amazing climax.

• Like 1

I figured the Games couldn't go on to their conclusion because otherwise all the new supporting characters would die, or there would be multiple winners again, and that had been done the year before. And the series only has three books total, so there's not going to be the same level of story arc repetition that something like Harry Potter has. Anyway, I thought they might escape somehow, so it was either finding a secret passage out (unlikely, with the cameras everywhere) or blowing up the arena and the latter is a lot more dramatic.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

Have been planning on seeing it as far back as opening night, but never made it ... finally did today and boy was it worth the wait.  I thought Hunger Games was fine ... not great, but not bad ... this was much better.  Had a feeling on how the plot was moving (I have no knowledge of the books), but it was still great when the end came with the reveal.

A-

• Like 1

I really liked it, much better than The Hunger Games. Cinematography looks great. Acting performances are mostly good to great, with standouts Jennifer Lawrence, Stanley Tucci, and Johanna Mason for me. PSH is kinda bland, while Hemsworth and Hutcherson just don't do it for me.

Unpopular opinion, but I feel the same way about Catching Fire as THG in that the setting up, first half is better than the actual game. However, the game in CF is definitely better, no shaking cam yay!

The thing that I dislike the most is probably the romance, it felt forced and unnatural, pretty boring too.

Overall, very good movie. Beautiful, intense, and a faithful adaptation.

A- from me.

• Like 6

...............I smell bullshit from you two <_<

Not unlike Potter flicks, they take pains in this series to telegraph the heck out of the plot. If you watch enough cinema, especially a keen moviegoer like Tele, you know full-well that just about every moment has a purpose in just about every movie. So... Why does Wright bring up the force-field early in the movie if it won't have a bigger role later? Why does Peeta say something about other game players sacrificing themselves? Etc... It's like playing Jeopardy. If you know/understand how to play the game, you'll know the answers more readily. Every question/category winks/nods/nudges and hints. In the end, makes the experiences more rewarding. Unless, they're just straight up slapping you across the face. Then, well, it's an insult. And, I do not think this film's guilty of that.

Doesn't make it a worse a film and it wasn't one the reasons the film fell flat for me. But, it is what it is... Potter 3 and Potter 4 do the same to the same degree.  

• Like 7

The only big flaw for the film and this is likely more for the non book readers is the rushed nature of the ending. I have nothing against what actually happened though.. 

The climax was great and well done but the scenes after were quite rushed.

It was quite confusing to people who were not fans of the book and if you think about it, there was no reason for those scenes to be rushed.

The film spent so much time on such small things and yet on the ending it was like they ran out of time or something.

Now this was a rather serious film but I find hilarious moments from anything and to my friends and myself is when Katniss would fall into Pete's arms and then Liam Hemsworth.