Plain Old Tele

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Not gonna bother with what happened previously in this thread but here are mine relatively short thoughts on the movie 

1. I liked it. I didn't like the first movie ( 4/10 ) I thought the build up in it was fine but once the games started it became very bad very fast IMO. This is handled much better and is an improvement in all aspects including the somewhat directionless acting in the first film which was really great in this one. Honestly, Lawrence isn't my cup of tea like it is for the rest of you blind worshipers but here she's up to the task and alongside an excellent supporting cast it all comes together.

2. The arena stuff should have been longer and more drawn out while the stuff before it should have been cut a LOT - or better yet intercut that stuff with the arena part - you know going back and forth

3. Now this is just me but I need those shots of people watching the games and supporting characters who are watching them cheering them on - I'm a sucker for those scenes

4. The cliffhanger ending wasn't all that great and I'm just not a fan of those a movie should have a beginning and end ... but PSH actually being on the good side surprised me a great deal I must say

I think my grade is a strong 8/10 and a MUCH bigger improvement over the previous one

keep up the good work

• Like 2

I have a question

How is the third book ? Do I need to expect same level of quality from the next 2 movies ( sigh splitting up the final book is like the norm now huh ) or is it worse ?

Third book is the worst. Especially the first half is the absolute low point of the series but it's also the most rich in themes. The book doesn't do anything with those themes but that doesn't mean the movie can't either. The good thing is that just like Catching Fire the book's problems aren't in the story but in the way it fails to build up Katniss as a hero and how the author doesn't have any interest in the moral questions and themes this story raises. Catching Fire managed to eliminate all those problems without changing the story at all. So I have high hopes, even though the split in 2 movies would make it more difficult this time.

Wow, surprised I haven't reviewed this yet.I've only read like 1/3 of Book 1. So, I went into CF without much knowledge. I found it to be an improvement over the first one. I really enjoyed how we got to see the effects of Katniss' victory, and how it forces her to just be a puppet for the Capital. But the thing that I liked the most was the film forced Katniss to actually be part a team when the Games started, which brought up a new conflict in her (what do I do when it comes time to betray these people?). I really could feel the tension in those moments.Sadly, that also brings me to the flaw in the film. It sort of circumvents its main conflict, instead choosing for a cop-out ending, imo. I guess I shoudn't have been surprised by that, but it still disappointed me.Grade: B+ (The first film would get like a B ).BTW, my only major issue with the franchise is the President Snow character. He always seems to make the wrong decision.

Edited by Dark Jedi Master 007

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

I'll be honest with you, this was the movie that got me really excited about The Hunger Games: Mockingjay.

I've seen the first one, and the second one needless to say (CF) was incredible.

Jennifer Lawrence was a powerhouse. That had to have been her best acting role.

The story and the plot grew in such a favorable way.

There was even foreshadowing in the first movie, of riots bursting out.

Rue's death from the first movie, grows to have an important significance on Katniss in this one.

From the beginning to the end, it was such a marvel to see.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman was brilliant. I ended up cursing at the screen at one point, because of him.

But the twist is brilliant, and it really sets the stage or even the further progression of the story.

From the first movie where they were mostly kids fighting to the death, now in an unfortunate chain of events, not only is Katniss dragged back into the games but is paired up with a more diverse set of characters, young and old this time around. Some of them are dangerous, and not easy to defeat. Finnick, was a great addition to the cast as well. And instead of the forest, the location changes they are now in the jungle. Poison fog, blood rain, killer monkeys, tidal waves (washing the victors out).

Important dynamic:

In Catching Fire, Hutcherson is just perfect. On cue, their chemistry pops, and at first they're not in love, even Peeta backs out of it willing the fact to be just friends.(It avoids the typical, cliche wishy-washy young, rushed romance, with little to no character development) But true significance is the characters are brought to be more human. And you can tell that Peeta cares for her in this not necessarily in a more forced romantic way, but a more powerful way and it all kind of comes together. Everything makes sense in Katniss and Peeta's dynamic. And it's heartbreaking about the other possible conclusions of what could come of them. The ending, is one of Jennifer Lawrence's best performances.

Violence:

The first Hunger Games film, desensitized their violence. This one, while shows not entirely graphic scenes but uses a technique that makes a impact on the story showing:

A man getting shot in the head in public among thousands of people , Gale getting beaten and bloodied by a whip in public and also striking a cord with me, Cinna being beaten to death in front of Katniss before she's sent off to the Quarter Quell games.

There was also an intense imagery, when Katniss (upon a very ill-timed and misplaced drawing of Rue placed there for her)

With rope, grabs a test dummy, and hangs it in a knot at the neck in with the words "Seneca Crane" written on it. (Which are the people who actually create these games, and also linked with the antagonist- President Snow)

The Poison fog scene is intense as everyone is breaking out painfully in blotches of poison.

When they finally find relief in the water, they are soon greeted by intense imagery of baboons who are nonetheless looking for their kill, as Katniss must defend themselves. 

Blood rain happens, and as the other victors find Katniss and her team, their faces is covered in it temporarily.

Some of the best scenes:

The Mockingjay scene, and when the Victors remained united in their defiance against the capitol.

The tour, when Katniss and Peeta are on chariots, in a beautiful setting, once again catching on fire

When Katniss's eulogy with Rue starts something, she never intended

Katniss blowing up the arena, as it crashes all around her and the crane is lifting her upward (made me almost cry horribly)

Katniss talking to Gale at various moments, including the ending (ready to see Katniss get a lil'badass taking on these bast-yeah)

One of the best surprises (hidden piece of candy I'd like to call it):

Effie Trinket (absolutely love what they did with her)

That she's just not only a pretty face/happy one.

There's a more complex characteristic of hers, along with Haymitch they both deserve their own story I would say.

Last but not least..

The Twist:

Phillip Seymour Hoffman is Plutarch Heavensbee, head gamemaker who replaces Seneca Crane (who we saw his own implied demise, with the locked door and bowl of berries) Plutarch the entire time, is for the rebellion. He sets up Snow to show his true colors, giving these people a reason to fight. To be intimidated and rebel ever more so. He creates the set-up of the Quarter Quell, as Snow wants to find a clever way to get rid of/kill Katniss. Think back with Rue, when Katniss buried Rue in the forest she saluted the traditional Panem sign of respect for Rue's district. Then you saw sh-- go down, and that was only the beginning of this.

Snow even mentioned about her popularity in the first movie, about containing her "the spark", but now Snow sees her as a threat. Due to these various uprisings throughout this movie.

Half the tributes also being called back to the Games, are in on this whole thing, including Peeta. 

Haymitch and Effie even knew as well..

Katniss is the one out of the loop this time. 

Plutarch had always intended to save Katniss and get her out of these Games, he created.

Peeta and Johanna though pretty much sacrifice themselves to save Katniss.

(They're not dead in CF, but Mockingjay will reveal what happens to them..)

Katniss is pissed, due to the fact (if you think about it she saved Peeta from the Games, he was the only one she could save..it would make since that she would want to keep him alive, also due the fact she does care for him in some way (even if it may not be romantic at first..)) She sees that she's a walking target, so she makes Haymitch promise her that when it comes down to it, that he'll save Peeta and let her die.

The biggest twist is watching the first time, you initially believe things but then everything does a complete 180.

Those are some of the best kinds that make you think.

If you're new to the THG film franchise, I suggest you watching maybe the first one to get an idea of what's happening, (I'm sure you'll love the first one) but yes I recommend this movie. (In speaking of which, I have it recorded I may just watch it now.) :)

Grade: A

• Like 4

Very short synopsis of my opinion: Really enjoyed this, good action and despite being 140 minutes, time flew by quite well. The acting was also all well done especially Jennifer Lawrence (of course).

****/*****, (A-, 8.0/10, 3.25/4)

• Like 2

Very short synopsis of my opinion: Really enjoyed this, good action and despite being 140 minutes, time flew by quite well. The acting was also all well done especially Jennifer Lawrence (of course).

****/*****, (A-, 8.0/10, 3.25/4)

Indeed, it didn't feel long at all.

My review from the Saturday of opening weekend from another website. Time capsule! @angeldelmito

This was fantastic, and I've never been fully immersed in the whole Hunger Games phenomenon. I liked the first movie a lot, but this one blows it out of the water in every single department. Being mentioned in the same breath alongside superior sequels like The Empire Strikes Back, The Godfather Part II, The Dark Knight, etc., would be completely deserved. The most notable improvement is clearly in the visual department: the immense success of the previous film has allowed director Francis Lawrence (no relation to the star) to expand on the world that Gary Ross created, replacing the Lady Gaga prototypes with truly beautiful sets and costumes. The performances continue to be dynamo. Jennifer Lawrence continues to cement herself as one of the best (if not the best) actresses of her generation; it's hard to imagine how anyone else could've played Katniss better than she has. Josh Hutcherson is much more effective this time around, although Liam Hemsworth is still a rather vanilla actor with little presence. Among other returning players, Donald Sutherland makes for a wonderfully hateable bad guy, Woody Harrelson is as good as ever, Elizabeth Banks reveals a rather human element to Effie character that wasn't there before, and Stanley Tucci's character needs his own spin-off. Even the newcomers to the Hunger Games universe work: Phillip Seymour Hoffman is great as always, while Jena Malone and especially Sam Claflin make for great additions. By the time the movie was over, I couldn't believe that we have to wait a whole year for the first half of the two-part finale (the other half arrives one year after that). It's going to be a long wait. A

• Like 4

I watched this again last night and then checked to see what my initial reaction was when I first saw.  Thankfully I loved it then as well as now.  I was kind of blown away by this movie.  It's easily the best in the series and the dark story, the brutal games, the complete douchebag that Snow is, all makes it a terrific film.  I'm half way through MJ1 and it's such a tone shift that it kind of pisses me off.  And I remember giving a 0/10 for MJ 2.....maybe I'll feel different this time.

• Like 3