Dementeleus

Nov 22-24 #s CF: $158,074,286 actual | Dark Knight triumphant after all

Yeah, I had a feeling the OW numbers would be disappointing, considering how explosive the first movie was on opening. It was always going to be difficult to match or exceed that.

That said, those are still great numbers and nothing to sneeze at.

One thing this performance does is, we need to look closer at all future possible sequels to all-time blockbusters and be cautious, can it repeat it's success again.

In your dreams. Every blockbuster will be associated with crazy predictions no matter how many previous blockbusters taught us otherwise.

At this point (or always), TA2 has more chance to decrease than increase, OW. TA OW was too big that sequel has no where to go but down.

I disagree. TA1 made over $100m in its second weekend because there were a lot of people who tried to see it on opening weekend and couldn't due to sellouts. Bigger screencount in 2015 will satisfy the demand easier on opening weekend, allowing for an even bigger opening.

• Like 5

I disagree. TA1 made over $100m in its second weekend because there were a lot of people who tried to see it on opening weekend and couldn't due to sellouts. Bigger screencount in 2015 will satisfy the demand easier on opening weekend, allowing for an even bigger opening.

I like your thinking but I don't see a massive jump in screen count in 1.5 years. One benefit for TA2 is market will be completely empty when it opens so screen count of 13 maybe 14K is possible on OW but after what happened here, I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic. 

I like your thinking but I don't see a massive jump in screen count in 1.5 years. One benefit for TA2 is market will be completely empty when it opens so screen count of 13 maybe 14K is possible on OW but after what happened here, I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic. 

Screencount jumped 1,200 in just a year between TA1 and IM3. If that happens again in 2014 and 2015, you are looking at a screencount of 15,400 for TA2.

I do think it'll be more frontloaded than TA1 and probably will gross less in the domestic market. SM2 set some box office records when it came out, was praised as the best superhero movie ever, and still dropped almost $30m from SM1's domestic total.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1