Dementeleus

Nov 22-24 #s CF: $158,074,286 actual | Dark Knight triumphant after all

Screencount jumped 1,200 in just a year between TA1 and IM3. If that happens again in 2014 and 2015, you are looking at a screencount of 15,400 for TA2.

I do think it'll be more frontloaded than TA1 and probably will gross less in the domestic market. SM2 set some box office records when it came out, was praised as the best superhero movie ever, and still dropped almost $30m from SM1's domestic total.

OW is key to TA2. If it can increase on OW and thats a big if than drop won't be big. Also right now TA2 has absolutely no competition in May so legs won't be that bad, maybe 2.4-2.5. 

HP: Chamber of Secrets had a lower OW than HP: Philosophers Stone so THG is repeating this trend.

The probelm is that the first HP was a pretty lousy movie so the drop was understandable. I haven't seen the frst Hunger Games but I was under the impression people acually liked it?

The probelm is that the first HP was a pretty lousy movie so the drop was understandable. I haven't seen the frst Hunger Games but I was under the impression people acually liked it?

The first Potter is magical. Even more so when it first came out. 

• Like 4

No, that's not the problem at all.  The problem is Potter, like THG, had casual interest as well as fan interest.  So it naturally dropped from one to two, it has nothing to do with quality.  It's happened before, it'll happen again.

• Like 2

No, that's not the problem at all.  The problem is Potter, like THG, had casual interest as well as fan interest.  So it naturally dropped from one to two, it has nothing to do with quality.  It's happened before, it'll happen again.

I get there was casual interest for THG (of course there was with that OW), I just thought it was much better received than the first Potter so would retain a bigger proportion of that casual audience. Apparently not?

OW is key to TA2. If it can increase on OW and thats a big if than drop won't be big. Also right now TA2 has absolutely no competition in May so legs won't be that bad, maybe 2.4-2.5. 

Tomorrowland and Fury Road more equal to/more than TA had.

I get there was casual interest for THG (of course there was with that OW), I just thought it was much better received than the first Potter so would retain a bigger proportion of that casual audience. Apparently not?

I don't think either of them were poorly received but both of them, while not setting box office records when they opened, came pretty close.  Nowhere to go but down.

This is like a vintage BOM big come-down thread thread. Of course almost everyone here put their blinders on and over-predicted the hell out of this movie, while completely ignoring the Spider-Man 1/Spider-Man 2 and the TDK/TDKR corollaries.

THG was well received, but so what the first Potter. But the two are quite different. Potter started off with massive family appeal, where THG is straight in with the more adult themes, something that becomes present later on in Potter.

• Like 1

This is like a vintage BOM big come-down thread thread. Of course almost everyone here put their blinders on and over-predicted the hell out of this movie, while completely ignoring the Spider-Man 1/Spider-Man 2 and the TDK/TDKR corollaries.

With the absence of the Joker, the TDK/TDKR comparison probably isn't that useful anyway (not to mention the events of that fateful weekend). TDKR always had an uphill battle beating TDK's domestic without the most popular comic book villain ever.

HP1 still has the Thanksgiving weekend record (gosh darn insane), any chance CF beats that?

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Weekend
Gross*
Week # Theaters Avg. Total Gross^ Release
Date%
1 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone WB $57,487,755 2 3,672 $15,655 $317,575,550 11/16/01
2 Toy Story 2 BV $57,388,839 2 3,236 $17,734 $245,852,179 11/24/99
3 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire WB $54,727,138 2 3,858 $14,185 $290,013,036 11/18/05
4 How the Grinch Stole Christmas Uni. $52,118,445 2 3,134 $16,630 $260,044,825 11/17/00
5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 WB $49,087,101 2 4,125 $11,900 $295,983,305 11/19/10

Avengers 2 should drop slightly in OW and 20% domestic. 1st time is a charm and 2nd time around there isn't anything spectacular about the ensemble. I dont see 2nd phase having that strong an appeal to GA that origin movies did for 1st phase. Unles Guardians explode(which looks so remote), Avengers need something new to sell. Plus competition should be there even though currently it looks light.For example nothing is scheduled for 5/8 and its impossible that it stays that way.